Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Getting annoyed by some words

Certain words and expressions annoy me. Often they are connected to modern internet culture I guess. When I encounter constructions such as "don't be a pleb", "*** master race", or "that rustled my jimmies", I feel like I can't relate to the person using them anymore and I want to close the page.

I don't really understand why this is happening. Is it some form of perfectionism? Do I have very high standards when it comes to the beauty of speech? Am I just a grumpy old man hating on everything that's new? Why do I give these people the power to annoy me?

I can kind of understand it as obnoxious shit like that is kinda cringe, on the other hand it's also kinda jaded to just to disregard everything for an offence as trivial as that.

To be fair though, I will say that anyone who unironically uses "*** master race" is a dickhead anyway.

Isn't it just that all these expressions have had moments of being mildly trendy and popular, and - as has been well established - you tend to have an irrationally negative reaction to anything that you perceive to be mildly trendy and popular?

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

Am I just a grumpy old man hating on everything that's new?

I feel like the truth value of this is independent of whether your annoyance is justified this time... Anyway, use of meme phrases that is offkey -- poor context, not grasping the nuances, the meme being outdated entirely -- can signal that the speaker is out of touch or trying too hard. Also specific words and expressions can get inextricably linked to types of people you might find annoying, or worse, to toxic cultures, to disingenuous arguments, to unscrupulous people, as with many alt-right or MRA pet words.

No, I don't think you are a grumpy old man. Some of those annoy me as well and I'd like to add “git gud” and “shitstorm” (in English and German sentences) to the list.

And more examples of annoying English words in German sentences: “turnover”, “crap”, “gefighted” (pseudo-German modification of the wrong past tense of “fight” — it's an irregular verb, if you have to use it instead of the German equivalent, use the correct past tense).

And the phrase „das macht Sinn“ is another heavy offender. It's the direct translation of “that makes sense”, but it's wrong, because you cannot artificially produce “sense” in German. The correct wording would be „das ergibt Sinn“.

Another common Word is „Quantensprung“/“quantum leap” which is always used in the exact opposite of the meaning in physics (smallest possible change).

I feel the same honestly, in fact I installed a word replacer addon into my browser just to get rid of stupid words such as "blease" and "abt". I just personally can't stand that shit. It does make me feel a bit like an old fart who hates new things, though.

Also i'm pretty sure someone out there's probably ticked off by my own overuse of "cuz", whoops

These terms are easy to ignore because of how often I encounter them, It just became normal somehow. The "know it all" type of person however is more annoying.

Trigger words and phrases:

Triggered

Could care less

At the end of the day

Keep calm and (anything here)

Literally

Totes

regardless

It is what it is

I could go on... 

I'm mainly getting sick of acronyms.  When the fuck did we become so lazy that we have to abbreviate EVERYTHING?!

3 minutes ago, Maser said:

I'm mainly getting sick of acronyms.  When the fuck did we become so lazy that we have to abbreviate EVERYTHING?!

IDK

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

When I encounter constructions such as "don't be a pleb", "*** master race", or "that rustled my jimmies", I feel like I can't relate to the person

While I understand your sentiment, I genuinely laughed at your objection to "that rustled my jimmies". Sounds like something my granddad would say! Why the dislike? It's kind of funny.

21 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

Another common Word is „Quantensprung“/“quantum leap” which is always used in the exact opposite of the meaning in physics (smallest possible change).

This annoys me so much.

Many pleonasms are also irritating to read or hear.

"Words" like "Ir-regardless" are the worst, though, because they sound so ridiculous.

Edit: Never thought that fixing an improper word would be something I'd have to do.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos : Fixed improper word.

High school children have time to think of shit like that. Most of the time the word or acronym has no good reason to even exist, it's just popular, because it got...popular. I got annoyed when yolo "came out" years back. Still am actually, although I am used to it by now.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I'm curious why so many people say "ye" instead of yes presently. It makes me think of a grunt that a proto-hominid with an oversized forehead would make. It's more amusing than anything though.

They're memes and like any other meme they get tiresome after you've seen them for the 10,000th time. But they also pick up associations related to the communities which use them. Just like if your avatar is Pepe the frog I'm probably going to wonder if you're a white supremacist, if you're using "kek" as punctuation I'm going to infer that you've probably been hanging around 4chan for too long and may not be anyone I want to know. Regardless, there's something rather pathetic if you're constantly sprinkling everything you write with that crap.

11 hours ago, lowpass30Hz said:

Trigger words and phrases:

Triggered

Could care less

At the end of the day

Keep calm and (anything here)

Literally

Totes

regardless

It is what it is

I could go on... 

Totes unfortunate that so many words leave you literally triggered. Regardless, at the end of the day, you need to learn to just say "I could care less.". Keep calm and meme on, it is what it is.

12 hours ago, lowpass30Hz said:

regardless

I sort of get the others, but why regardless? It's far more painful when someone spouts that non-existent bastardization 'lrregardless'. The prefix adds nothing of value to the word and only serves to artificially lengthen it, I don't understand why it's still used by anyone. That said, on it's own, regardless is a very useful word.

EDIT: lol, the forum software automatically corrects 'lrregardless' to 'regardless', that's fantastic. I think that must have happened to your post as well.

I think the one I hate the most is "oof."

You and Doomguy wouldn't last 5 minutes in a room together.

Edited by Doomkid

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That said, on it's own, regardless is a very useful word.

Yeah. When well used it's fine.

Sometimes, repeating any word just for the sake of repeating is annoying.

11 hours ago, Britney_Is_King said:

think the one I hate the most is "oof." 

You don't like humping walls? ;)

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT: lol, the forum software automatically corrects 'lrregardless' to 'regardless', that's fantastic. I think that must have happened to your post as well.

Yes that's right!

6 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Totes unfortunate that so many words leave you literally triggered. Regardless, at the end of the day, you need to learn to just say "I could care less.". Keep calm and meme on, it is what it is.

AHHHHHHHHH!

Ya prolly not all that offended tho tbh and rly y would u be anyway is not a big deal if anything is p. harmless.

Incorrect use of the word Random became fashionable a few years back and still hasn't gone away. I was out with friends who said we should go into an old man pub because they wanted a random night out. I made the case that if we choose the pub it's not random so for the rest of the night we let the dice decide and had a genuinely random night out.