Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meanideal

Best Megawad ever (In Your Opinion)

Firstly I'm not looking for maps to play or any lists like that, I just want to know what you personally feel is the best Megawad ever in your opinion and why.

One of my all time favourites is Valiant because I love the level themes and quite liked the new monsters. I also love how Skillsaw has this ability to make really hard slaughter maps that I find quite fun to play, even on UV difficulty.

As for classic favourites it's got to be either Momento Mori (both 1 and 2) or Requiem. Then again Strain is quite high up the list too for me. I find that good music is a big deciding factor for me, but in all 3 of these I also really like the gameplay and level design.

I've just signed up, so I'm not really going to know about a post that is older than a few hours. True, I could have done a search. So sorry for offending, I must be the worst human alive :D

I could have posted my opinions in those threads, but then I would have gotten hung drawn and quartered for resurrecting old dead threads :/

I didnt know you have 4 counts. No you dont offend me, i understand you didnt know about them. I think is better resurrect old threads than make new one with the same theme.

and btw welcome to doomworld

There technically is no objective best megawad ever since veryone has different opinions on the matter. I'm one of the few that likes and hates many modern and classic wads and there really is no true favorite or least favorite among each of them.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard will always be my all time favourite and I will always take the chance to say it despite the redundancy of it.

There is no objective truth, except Sunlust being the best megawad. Plato's allegory of the sun was actually written to express this.

Any Slaughterfest is amazing, Chillax is really good but it is harder than any other wad, Scythe 2 is legendary, Plutonia 2 is pretty good, and then there is Valiant, which is probably my favorite.

10 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

Any Slaughterfest is amazing

I dunno, SF3 has some rather underwhelming levels, it's not very consistent.

On topic, maybe AA or Sunlust.

Alien Vendetta is my all-time favorite, followed by Plutonia 2, Ancient Aliens, and Going Down.

Back to Saturn X (both episodes). Unique visuals with consistent themes, atmospheric music, balanced gameplay. A work of art.

Back to Saturn X (Only played the first one) is one of my all time favourites. 

Eternal Doom for me.    It was '96, I had no internet and I found it on the 3D Alchemy disc after I had just begun to figure out how to edit Doom maps.   So I open it up and begin playing it and was in utter awe of what I saw....just inspiring as a mapper; between the massive intricate levels, the new graphics, and the mood these levels presented...wow.   I also enjoyed the puzzles (couldn't figure half of them out but I liked their challenge and the idea of having puzzles).   Sure I  had played Memento Mori and other important levelsets that inspired me but not to the degree that Eternal Doom affected me.    Eternal Doom suggested that Doom could be more than just a shooter.  It could be art.

Does it have be to just one? Meh, I like quite a lot of megawads tbh, some of them are BTSX1, TNT: Revilution, Moonblood, Valiant, Ancient Aliens, Going Down, Resurgence, Urania, and probably DTWID if I pick it up to play again because my memories of all of it are blurry... shit, picking single favourites isn't my forte, as you can see.

From my perspective megawads are a bit overrated. The ideal Doom mapset for me is maybe 6-10 maps. Any longer and I tend to get distracted by something else before I finish it. So the list of megawads I've started is longer than those I've completed. 

Of the ones I have finished, I'd say Going Down is probably my favorite. It does some really cool stuff with the stock textures and has vicious, fun gameplay to boot. It's pretty meaty stuff but all relatively constrained in terms of real estate, which the first few levels do a good job of setting up.

Of the ones that fell by the wayside, I loved Sunlust (which I should get back to) and thought A.L.T. was super neat (I got stuck on some huge map about halfway though that I've never been able to figure out how to complete).

If you want a list of my favorite episodes I'd be happy to oblige.