Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

Depths of Insanity - Now on idgames!

NOW ON IDGAMES:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/depths

MEDIAFIRE DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hifh8v9a58e5e68/depths.wad/file

So, I've been working on a map pack for a while now, and I've finally decided to show you wonderful people at Doomworld what it's all about. Depths of Insanity is a short map pack (7 maps in total, counting a secret level) based off of Doom II. The levels are set across four techbase-themed levels on Earth and two final hell levels at the end as well as a rather abstract secret level.

Some rather important questions, and their respective answers, are listed below in the first spoiler:

Spoiler

Q: What's in the WAD?

A: Seven main maps, titled XMAP01 through XMAP07. Also contains a test map (MAP99) and a modified MAP01 to provide a portal to the new map (not included in the idgames release).

Q: Does this replace any content of the base Doom II?

A: Other than slightly modifying MAP01 to give a teleport to the new episode, all that is replaced in the standard Hell on Earth package is the intermission music and INTERPIC, as I could not find a way to have different intermission music and INTERPICs for the two episodes.

Q: If the Hell on Earth content is not replaced, how do I reach your levels?

A: They're added as a new episode in the episode selection menu. I get it, it's a force of habit, but don't just select Hell on Earth.

Q: You mentioned a secret level, where can it be found?

A: The teleport to XMAP07, the secret level, can be found in XMAP02.

Q: What source ports can this run on? What did you test it with?

A: The maps are in UDMF format, so any source port that can support UDMF's features should be able to run it. I tested with GZDoom.

Q: How difficult are the levels?

A: A little bit harder than Doom II to begin with, but gets quite difficult near the end. If it gives any indication, the first Cyberdemon is on XMAP02.

Q: Does this have support for difficulty settings?

A: Yes. The definition between difficulties is the same as in Doom and Doom II. The main difference between difficulties is, as per usual, the enemy types and count, although there are some more subtle differences later on.

Q: What is the estimated run time?

A: All par times added together is 58:10. The actual run time will most likely be longer, to account for secret hunting and how not everybody knows every square inch of the map off by heart.

Q: How many monsters? How many secrets?

A: XMAP01 has 4 secrets, XMAP02 has 9, XMAP07 has 3, XMAP03 has 7, XMAP04 has 5, XMAP05 has 6 and XMAP06 has 4. Monster count is listed in the info below.

Q: Any custom weapons or monsters?

A: Not in the demo. Modified Cyberdemons with more and less health show up in XMAP02-04, depending on difficulty settings, and the final boss uses a custom monster.

Q: Do the levels support pistol start?

A: The levels are designed with pistol start in mind, although you can run continuous if you so choose. I normally do for ease of testing.

Q: Do I need jump/crouch? Do I need freelook?

A: Jump is banned in all levels. Crouch is not necessary. Freelook isn't required, but it makes a secret on XMAP02 easier to reach. I would advise that if you use freelook, you still use autoaim, as there are some areas in the later levels (XMAP05 in particular) where it is extremely useful.

Q: Does it work with Brutal Doom?

A: The demo works fine with it, but the custom monsters used in later levels may prevent use with Brutal Doom. Either way, don't bring your filth here.

Q: What happened to the second secret level (XMAP08) that you said you were going to make?

A: I wanted to get this out to you guys sooner, and making and polishing an additional level would only take more time, and I didn't like the idea of XMAP08 to begin with.

Screenshots, albeit outdated ones (I'll take new ones ASAP, don't worry) of XMAP01 are available in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

depths1-1.PNG.a5383e046139abcdf2e0768ee54a4f1b.PNGdepths1-2.PNG.4ab5f3ba8c52bea683a3645e21ce34b8.PNGdepths1-3.PNG.84c469c62586678f6882a0045b80678e.PNGdepths1-4.PNG.ee235ee3c295f87a68291000e0ec13c8.PNGdepths1-5.PNG.d6361e3d103e665c0d3e2d00b7fc929d.PNGdepths1-6.PNG.20385d2fb535bf49ec9aca3a31f247f5.PNGdepths1-7.PNG.d3dca635cf3eddde18c534c95da9bdf8.PNG

LIST OF LEVELS:

Listed is the name, level tag, par time, MIDI, whether there are custom monsters present and the count of monsters on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty (recorded as the map starts to prevent Arch-Viles from bloating the numbers).

XMAP01 - Awakening

- Par Time: 3:20

- Music: Matador of Cydonia (D_MATADR)

- Custom Monsters: No

- Monster Count on HMP: 120

XMAP02 - Something's Rotten (exit to secret level)

- Par Time: 10:00

- Music: Into the Beast's Belly (D_BBELLY)

- Custom Monsters: ITYTD/HNTR only

- Monster Count on HMP: 285

XMAP03 - The Lazarus Circuit

- Par Time: 8:00

- Music: Smells Like Burning Corpse (D_CORPSE)

- Custom Monsters: HMP only

- Monster Count on HMP: 181

XMAP04 - Into the Depths

- Par Time: 14:30

- Music: Shawn's Got the Shotgun (D_SHAWN)

- Custom Monsters: UV/NM only

- Monster Count on HMP: 381

XMAP05 - Ignoble

- Par Time: 9:00

- Music: Descent into Dementia (D_DEMENT)

- Monster Count on HMP: 165

XMAP06 - Calamity

- Par Time: 13:20

- Music: Nobody Told Me About id (D_E2M8)

- Custom Monsters: Yes, on all difficulties

- Monster Count on HMP: 282 (plus 4 spawn shooters)

XMAP07 - Aether Dimension (secret level)

- Par Time: 5:00

- Music: Death's Bells (D_DBELLS)

- Monster Count on HMP: 53

MAP99 - Test Map (test level, not accessible without IDCLEV)

- Par Time: 0:05

- Music: Endgame (D_READ_M)

- Custom Monsters: No, of course not, there aren't any monsters to begin with

- Monster Count on HMP: 0

CREDITS:

XMAP01 music:

- Matador of Cydonia by DAR, midi conversion by DAR (used with permission)

XMAP02 music:

- Into the Beast's Belly from the TNT: Evilution soundtrack

XMAP03 music:

- Smells Like Burning Corpse from the TNT: Evilution soundtrack

XMAP04 music:

Shawn's Got the Shotgun from the Doom II soundtrack

XMAP05 music:

- Descent into Dementia by DAR, midi conversion by DAR (used with permission, subject to change)

XMAP06 music:

- Nobody Told Me About id from the Ultimate Doom soundtrack (subject to change)

XMAP07 music:

- Death's Bells from the TNT: Evilution soundtrack

MAP99 music:

- Endgame from the Doom II soundtrack

Intermission music:

- Prayer of Sin-Slayer by DAR, midi conversion by DAR (used with permission)

Text screen music:

- Infinite from the TNT: Evilution soundtrack

Custom monsters:

- Modified Cyberdemons made by myself using inheritance

- Final boss is a heavily modified Bruiser Demon from the Realm667 site

Custom textures:

- Parts of the 5th Episode Texture Pack from the Realm667 site

- Parts of the Nightmare Animations Pack from the Realm667 site

- A couple of stone and door textures taken from the Post your Doom textures! thread here on Doomworld

- All skies, INTERPIC and CREDIT picture, and a few COMP-styled textures in XMAP01-04 made by myself

And with all of that out of the way, have fun! I hope you enjoy. If you have any issues or criticisms, so long as you're not telling me to kill myself, I'd love to hear them!

Edited by Novaseer : Now on idgames for those of you who like it there. idgames version also has a few bug fixes and a better automap.

Since you pointed it out on the hands topic, I'll check it out, I normally look at undersubscribed wads for people. I missed this one before since that weekend was very busy for me. Give me few hours an hour. XD

Edited by eharper256

1 minute ago, eharper256 said:

Since you pointed it out on the hands topic, I'll check it out, I normally look at undersubscribed wads for people. I missed this one before since that weekend was very busy for me. Give me a few hours.

Thanks, mate! Let me know if you find any glaring problems, as well as anything you liked about the map! It shouldn't take too long, as the demo's just a single map.

Mildly confused me for a moment on launch because I automatically go and click 'Hell on Earth' on my Wadsmoosh whenever loading a new wad, and then 'Knee-Deep in the Dead', but you'd actually made a whole new episode for this at the bottom. XD

As you say, quite a quick one; very much a MAP01, but that's fine. I 100%'ed it, but missed one secret (I assume it has something to do with the raised inaccessible blue circle platform in the room where you warp into the pentagram, but couldn't figure out how to lower that; got the starter hangar one, the one at the end of the nukage with the SSG, and the one near the exit). I got impressions it was fusing the Phobos and Deimos feels, with a leaning towards the latter due to the teleports.

Flows pretty well, and though the ambushes are pretty obvious, I was honestly surprised slightly by this one:

UiFb2NX.png

Due to the sheer sudden numbers of imps... quite a jump compared the previous fights beforehand, but a nice surprise.

I was especially quite impressed in your attention to detail with the lighting.

sFGfcj4.png

I love that kind of thing in any level.

Overall, pretty nice starter level. Will be interested to see where it goes.

A couple of misalignments for you to fix, though:

k4Z7Xwd.png

LZjxq8i.png

I also had a system stagger on the pentagram room as I came through the teleport. Rather strange, and it may not have been your WAD, but maybe some random background process suddenly eating my RAM, but it seemed too well timed to the re-render, so I figured I'd mention it, since I have a fairly powerful gaming rig. Might want to check that for visplanes or something? Might be nothing though, like I say.

About 4 mins of the 10 mins it took me to complete was looking for that last secret, by the way (lol).

Edited by eharper256

Mildly confused me for a moment on launch because I automatically go and click 'Hell on Earth' on my Wadsmoosh whenever loading a new wad, and then 'Knee-Deep in the Dead', but you'd actually made a whole new episode for this at the bottom. XD

As you say, quite a quick one; very much a MAP01, but that's fine. I 100%'ed it, but missed one secret (I assume it has something to do with the raised inaccessible blue circle platform in the room where you warp into the pentagram, but couldn't figure out how to lower that; got the starter hangar one, the one at the end of the nukage with the SSG, and the one near the exit). I got impressions it was fusing the Phobos and Deimos feels, with a leaning towards the latter due to the teleports.

Flows pretty well, and though the ambushes are pretty obvious, I was honestly surprised slightly by this one:

(snip)

Due to the sheer sudden numbers of imps... quite a jump compared the previous fights beforehand, but a nice surprise.

I was especially quite impressed in your attention to detail with the lighting.

(snip)

I love that kind of thing in any level.

Overall, pretty nice starter level. Will be interested to see where it goes.

A couple of misalignments for you to fix, though:

(snip)

I also had a system stagger on the pentagram room as I came through the teleport. Rather strange, and it may not have been your WAD, but maybe some random background process suddenly eating my RAM, but it seemed too well timed to the re-render, so I figured I'd mention it, since I have a fairly powerful gaming rig. Might want to check that for visplanes or something? Might be nothing though, like I say.

The last secret is in the room where the exit is. Check the automap carefully.

I'll get to fixing the misalignments once I've finished up with XMAP04.

Overall though, glad you liked it!

Oh? There's two near the exit? I see. I checked all the sergeant cubbyholes on both sides, but not the last section with the exit switch, must have been there I guess.

Just now, eharper256 said:

Oh? There's two near the exit? I see. I checked all the sergeant cubbyholes on both sides, but not the last section with the exit switch, must have been there I guess.

You need to check the sergeant cubbyholes to exit the level, they're not secrets. It's in the blue keycard section, that's what I meant.

With the blue armour (and something else that Trailblazer decided to replace with blueprint)? I got that.

With the blue armour (and something else that Trailblazer decided to replace with blueprint)? I got that.

Sorry, I didn't realise what you were talking about. The last secret's in the green area. It contains a chainsaw, a stimpack, a little bit of ammo and a few health bonuses.

Also, there shouldn't be a blue armour in that room at all. The secret in the blue keycard area should have a backpack, two stimpacks and a load of ammo.

Right; thats the one I missed then, I should gotten the Revolvers from that but never found them.

There's a small chance a Backpack becomes a Blueprint and a Random Armour in trailblazer, so that's fine (if hilariously pointlessly lucky on a short map like this).

I just fixed the alignment problems you reported. For the hex rooms, I simply aligned on the X axis, but for the other room I did a bit of texture switch-up. Thanks for telling me, though - I probably wouldn't have noticed.

The full release is out! Thanks to everyone who tried the demo, and I hope you all have fun with the full version!

depths6-2.PNG.635e8f0f32f89824cc35c3d060c6f798.PNG

Zandronum (3.0) gives me this:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "depths.wad:DECORATE" line 80:
Invalid state parameter a_spawnprojectile

2 minutes ago, grrfield said:

Zandronum (3.0) gives me this:

Execution could not continue.

Odd. It works with GZDoom, but the way the DECORATE for the final boss works might mess up other source ports. I don't know how to fix that, unfortunately.

The only small problem I noticed is in xMap01 with those windows near the beginning. I remember them being impassable in the demo, and so when I saw that I could go through them now, I wound up leaping out to explore and then quickly realized I had no way to get back up.

I think these linedefs should be made impassable again in order to keep the "adventurous" among us from sprinting out of these windows in the future:

VwWIGa6.jpg

Other than that though, this came out great! I really liked all of these maps, in particular I was quite fond of xMap02 and xMap04.

I thought the "Dead Simple", and E1M8 inspired segments in xMap02 were pretty cool too. As well as that one area in xMap05 that I think takes some inspiration from E3M2. The "Do not open" on the door in xMap02 also got a laugh out of me, but then fun quickly turned to terror when I proceeded to open it anyways.

I also liked the elevator ride in the beginning of xMap04, as well as the way the exit looked. Really builds up hype knowing that the next level is finally in hell.

The secret level was pretty neat too, liked the contrast it gave in comparison to the other levels. Very fitting since it's supposed to be like in limbo.

I liked the final boss battle in xMap07, pretty chaotic. I actually got nicked by a spawn cube a couple of times. The final surprise after beating the "Titan" also caught me off guard.

1 hour ago, Davester2296 said:

The only small problem I noticed is in xMap01 with those windows near the beginning. I remember them being impassable in the demo, and so when I saw that I could go through them now, I wound up leaping out to explore and then quickly realized I had no way to get back up.

I think these linedefs should be made impassable again in order to keep the "adventurous" among us from sprinting out of these windows in the future:

Hide contents

VwWIGa6.jpg

Other than that though, this came out great! I really liked all of these maps, in particular I was quite fond of xMap02 and xMap04.

I thought the "Dead Simple", and E1M8 inspired segments in xMap02 were pretty cool too. As well as that one area in xMap05 that I think takes some inspiration from E3M2. The "Do not open" on the door in xMap02 also got a laugh out of me, but then fun quickly turned to terror when I proceeded to open it anyways.

I also liked the elevator ride in the beginning of xMap04, as well as the way the exit looked. Really builds up hype knowing that the next level is finally in hell.

The secret level was pretty neat too, liked the contrast it gave in comparison to the other levels. Very fitting since it's supposed to be like in limbo.

I liked the final boss battle in xMap07, pretty chaotic. I actually got nicked by a spawn cube a couple of times. The final surprise after beating the "Titan" also caught me off guard.

Ah, I think I marked them as impassable (before I disabled jump) then, not realising they were <=24 units high, made them passable again. I'll get to fixing that.

Yeah, that section in XMAP05 was inspired quite considerably by E3M2.

I also managed to get hit by spawn cubes a few times during testing. I just try and avoid the panels wherever possible.

Overall, glad you liked it!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:59 AM, Novaseer said:

(and don't worry, it isn't an Icon of Sin, I hate them too)

then

(plus 4 spawn shooters)

how very clever.

18 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

how very clever.

In my opinion, the more annoying part of the Icon is the fact that you need to fire a rocket into a tiny space, rather than the monsters it summons.
EDIT: Also, 90% of the summons will probably die to the Titan's fire wave attack.

Edited by Novaseer

This was pretty great.  Hordes of enemies, interesting levels for the most part.  I played on HMP and it was pretty damn hard.  I couldn't figure out how to finish map 5 so I skipped to 6.  That boss was a shock, made the cyberdemon next to him look puny.  The only flaw I see is the doors that close too quick.  There were quite a few times where I'm trying to shoot the guys in the next room and the damn door keeps closing.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnpixAIjSI

11 hours ago, Bryan T said:

This was pretty great.  Hordes of enemies, interesting levels for the most part.  I played on HMP and it was pretty damn hard.  I couldn't figure out how to finish map 5 so I skipped to 6.  That boss was a shock, made the cyberdemon next to him look puny.  The only flaw I see is the doors that close too quick.  There were quite a few times where I'm trying to shoot the guys in the next room and the damn door keeps closing.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnpixAIjSI

Glad to see you liked it!

The door issue is just a silly mistake on my part - the doors are set to close after 34 tics, not 34 octics (150 tics).

Doesn't seem to work with zDoom.

3 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Doesn't seem to work with zDoom.

Huh. Must be something with that DECORATE function - I think it's only in GZDoom. I'll try to see if there's an alternative.

zdoom 2.8.1 might be too old for that.  Just so you know, gzdoom can look similar to zdoom, just switch to software render in the display options.  I recall seeing someone releasing a newer version of zdoom but I can't find anything on that.

I finish 2 levels so far and having fun. Nice level design maybe some places missing bit of detailing but those are nice looking maps so who cares anyway right? Gameplay is fun, some places should have stimpacks to ballance the gameplay better but is managable and fun. And nice midi's btw :)

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

I finish 2 levels so far and having fun. Nice level design maybe some places missing bit of detailing but those are nice looking maps so who cares anyway right? Gameplay is fun, some places should have stimpacks to ballance the gameplay better but is managable and fun. And nice midi's btw :)

Glad to see you're enjoying it!

And by the way, I didn't make the MIDIs, but I'll be sure to refer the praise to the person who did.

hi, i still want to play this, but still (Zandronum)

:) :)

29 minutes ago, grrfield said:

hi, i still want to play this, but still (Zandronum)

:) :)

Zandronum hasn't updated DECORATE to have a_SpawnProjectile in yet. Try running with GZDoom if you can. If not, I'll try to work on a bugfix version and ship that whenever I can.