Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

On 7/8/2018 at 12:13 AM, MsKaye said:
  • Difficulty: While it seems people more used to modern shooters didn't have an issue with this, I kinda found Doom '16 to be a tad on the easy side. Ironically, I felt Nightmare was a bit unbalanced even if it was closer to what I expected from UV. I hope D:E is tougher (While being a bit more balanced than '16 on Nightmare) and that UV is unlocked from the gate.

Some people are never satisfied with the difficulty. I found Hurt Me Plenty to be perfect and Ultraviolence to be a perfect (if at times frustrating) challenge.

• Demon weapons: I'm pretty sure we're getting at least one of these in the form of the Crucible but I'd love to see one or two more as well. They could really have fun with the idea of a Demon Weapon. Hell, maybe they'll even bring back the Unmaker.

Just as Tom Hall intended. Sounds perfect.

• Full Level Editor: I know this is suuuuper unlikely due to the way IDTech 6 works but a woman can dream. Besides, despite its limitations the customgeo in Snapmap proved that it isn't impossible.

I would one-up you there and ask for a full modding SDK so people could remake Heretic and HeXen.

for me i think they shouldn't go on reintroducing demons throughout levels which they did in doom 2016. I would love more breakneck pacing

13 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I would one-up you there and ask for a full modding SDK so people could remake Heretic and HeXen.

In this day and age, that's impossible. Developers only want you to play the things that THEY make.

I've mentioned this already, but I want to see a SnapMap in which the pieces are highly modular while still being able to connect to other pieces easily. Players ought to be able to adjust the dimensions of set pieces, stretching them and even cutting holes in them in ways that wouldn't compromise the piece.

Imagine say a hallway that could be lengthened or contracted arbitrarily, and all the while individual details such as computer panels would not be altered. Another example would be pieces that could be treated as Bézier curves, connecting to other pieces with heavy control over its arc.

There would have to be significant restrictions to keep maps from having holes into the void and other critical glitches, but something along these lines should be possible.

No health bars on bosses. It would be better to have visible damage, like, the enemy looks normal at 100% HP, looks damaged at 50%, and all disfigured at like 10%, then the death animation comes when you kill it.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, ATP2555 said:

Why don't you add this:

-No human interaction, let the game only be about shooting everything in sight

Yeah, maybe, why not

11 hours ago, D88M said:

No health bars on bosses. It would be better to have visible damage, like, the enemy looks normal at 100% HP, looks damaged at 50%, and all disfigured at like 10%, then the death animation comes when you kill it.

Quake 2 had damaged skins. Did Doom '16?

On 7/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, GoatLord said:

Quake 2 had damaged skins. Did Doom '16?

No, only those really odd flashes on enemy for a "fatality" if you turned it on in the options menu, and health bars on bosses.

Better physics. No! I want good, solid physics because 2016's physics sucked. Physical interactions, like kicking a barrel in a crowd or something. I want Eternal to have a darker tone. More moody and creepy. Actual ambient sounds in some places like in Doom 3 Monorail level. Not those weak, light loopy music bits from D2016. I want to see cloth materials. Like flags on buildings or on poles. I want actual infighting. Or something even more awesome like. .Imagine a Baron spots you but there is a lot of zombie infantry between you and him, so he just starts to run at you through them while shoving and throwing everyone against walls or some shit just to get to you quicker. Now that would be cool. Would be cool if Cyberdemon was a normal enemy. Very rare but very tough. Yeah. But we'll see. Just don't overdo it id! Expand on D2016. And please dont create some out of place gimmick!

On 7/23/2018 at 3:21 AM, D88M said:

No, only those really odd flashes on enemy for a "fatality" if you turned it on in the options menu, and health bars on bosses.

What are you talking about? There is body damage in D2016!

On 7/30/2018 at 11:51 AM, Enforcer said:

What are you talking about? There is body damage in D2016!

Yeah, demons become bloodied when shot. Plus, the arms of the Possessed can be shot off (but they can still hit you).

Darker tone (especially Hell), scarier atmosphere (like original Doom, Doom 64 and even Doom 3), Savagery (faster glory kills), In-Flight Mobility (better air control after double jump) and Blood Fueled (temp speed boost after glory kill) runes by default, more useful base weapons (especially shotgun and chaingun like SgtMK4 said), less arena only maps and more exploration based ones like earlier on in the 2016 game, and being able to actually go back to the start of the map like you could in earlier levels of the game (before they started permanently cutting you off around the first Hell level and onward, discourages exploration and wastes time for anything you missed). Oh, and hitscanners.

Perhaps some improvements to the lost soul.   Right now it is just a kamikaze skull that explodes like a projectile.  Not sure how it will impact the new Pain Elemental.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:44 AM, Zemini said:

Perhaps some improvements to the lost soul.   Right now it is just a kamikaze skull that explodes like a projectile.  Not sure how it will impact the new Pain Elemental.

I think it would make the new pain elementals more tolerable.

1 hour ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I think it would make the new pain elementals more tolerable.

Yeah.

It might be a bit strange at first that they explode on impact, but if they do decide to make them not do that then I hope they at least won't make them as tough and tanky like in the classics.

I'm really curious how they'll implement Archviles and Pain Elementals. Both of those demons, at least the original versions, have rather power-hungry features: Archviles need corpses to resurrect, PEs spawn extra enemies. Then, as mentioned above, we have new Lost Souls that are suicide units. So what, PEs will essentially fire projectiles with a delay? That would be underwhelming. The idea behind the PE is that it's a harmless enemy that is a constant source of danger through enemies that it spawns. I'm not sure how that'd work within the extremely chaotic and fast-paced gameplay of the new DOOM games.

Another option would be to make Pain Elementals 'control' a fixed number of low-damage, pesky enemies, maybe even capable of firing their own projectiles that would create a constant threat until the PE itself is killed.

No idea about an Archvile. The Summoner in DOOM4 was essentially Archvile from DOOM3 which was an Archvile re-designed for a game that doesn't have persistent corpses. DOOM4 doesn't have persistent corpses either. So what can a proper Archvile offer that cannot be done by the Summoner? The only thing that comes to my mind would be something inspired by Arkane's Prey. That game does have persistent corpses, except that those 'corpses' are just tiny pieces of the enemies and those remain forever, I think. So maybe killed enemies will leave some kind of a 'piece' of them laying around that can be resurrected by an Archvile? Or maybe they'll just heal or boost enemies? Or maybe there WILL be persistent corpses this time around?

Dead demons could still leave behind a blood splatter that could be used for summoning by the AV.  This will not be as immersive  but maybe corpses stay on the ground to some degree?

I also hope to see the Summoner as a mid tier enemy that is commanded by Arch-Viles.  Summoners should probably be limited to summoning low tier monsters like imps and unwilling.

Maybe Arch Viles are rare Bosses and the scenes you do fight them have corpses or preset props for them to utilise. Underwhelming if so, but possible.

I'm not sure what improvements to expect, but I'm OK with the difficulty level roughly at what it is. In 2016 on UV, I still die at particular points in the game or if I am careless. In the classic iwads on UV I pretty much never die.

I wouldn't mind some form of slight speed up boost when just getting around, so bunny hopping would be OK with me if it doesn't make the standard movement speed obsolete (Painkiller does this and it's irritating, you pretty much never want to walk/move normally because the bunny hopping is that much better).

As far as the map layouts and key hunting aspect, I don't know, I'm kind of a fan of how things are now. I enjoy that the gameplay is straightforward and much of the exploration aspect is handled via the secrets.

I am down for having less gore nests and more fights that just sort of "happen", kind of like at certain points in Foundry. Have more enemies appearing in normal areas can help to make the maps feel a little more fleshed out as well. More enemies popping in after key moments helps too, again using Foundry as an example, where a hell knight spawns near the beginning after you activate the last switch to unlock the exit. He'll catch you off guard and whack you from behind right before leaving the map if you're not paying attention. A few more instances like that every now and again keeping you on your toes could be a good thing.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, Touchdown said:

No idea about an Archvile. The Summoner in DOOM4 was essentially Archvile from DOOM3 which was an Archvile re-designed for a game that doesn't have persistent corpses. DOOM4 doesn't have persistent corpses either. So what can a proper Archvile offer that cannot be done by the Summoner? The only thing that comes to my mind would be something inspired by Arkane's Prey. That game does have persistent corpses, except that those 'corpses' are just tiny pieces of the enemies and those remain forever, I think. So maybe killed enemies will leave some kind of a 'piece' of them laying around that can be resurrected by an Archvile? Or maybe they'll just heal or boost enemies? Or maybe there WILL be persistent corpses this time around?

i don't think the Archvile is dependent even on small pieces. When a monster dies, it could just leave an invisible flag for the Archvile that spawns a new creature of the same type but with a resurrection animation.

So it'd spawn a new monster out of thin air, which is exactly what the Summoner does. If you can't see the corpse, the whole idea of resurrecting an enemy is pointless.

7 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

So it'd spawn a new monster out of thin air, which is exactly what the Summoner does. If you can't see the corpse, the whole idea of resurrecting an enemy is pointless.

Not quite. It would only spawn enemies if it sees the "dead" flag. And the player can just make a mental note.

That seems redundant to me. Do you know what difference would it make in the fast-paced battlefield of nuDOOM whether Summoner spawns new enemies or an Archvile resurrects dead ones? None. Especially that enemies already exclusively spawn via teleportation. Hell, I barely ever notice a Summoner spawning enemies because there's no time to look at that, I just know it happens. An Archvile might be limited by the number of 'corpses' but you keep killing so there's always something to resurrect... It'd be different in theory but in combat it'd probably be just about the same.

Then again, maybe Archviles will replace Summoners, which would be cheap but at least we wouldn't have two almost identical enemies.

My guess for the archvile behaviour, it's that it could instantly recover staggered enemies back on their feet, or heal nearby monsters to retain it's "healer status" and not replace the summoner, since i agree it would feel cheap, as for the pain elemental, having it shoot lost souls like classic doom would make it feel like a cacodemon, since essentially it would be just another floating monster that shoots projectiles (considering new lost souls explode on impact), maybe that could work as a main attack, but also it could roam the area spawning lost souls without shooting them directly at the player making the arena more dangerous if you let it alive

11 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Then again, maybe Archviles will replace Summoners, which would be cheap but at least we wouldn't have two almost identical enemies.

They could also change the Summoners. While yes, they could spawn in new enemies, to me their most noteworthy ability was the fast teleporting. Maybe they can keep this, nerf the actual summoning and give that to the Viles. Who knows, I guess we'll eventually see what they decide on. What I am more curious about is how they will be handling the Vile's attack.

20 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

[...] as for the pain elemental, having it shoot lost souls like classic doom would make it feel like a cacodemon, since essentially it would be just another floating monster that shoots projectiles (considering new lost souls explode on impact), maybe that could work as a main attack, but also it could roam the area spawning lost souls without shooting them directly at the player making the arena more dangerous if you let it alive

Lost Souls in Doom 2016 can home in on the player. That means that a Doom Eternal PE could kinda be a little bit like a Classic Doom 2 Revenant, except it flies and all of its attacks (not just one of its attack) are "screeching homing missiles" that you can shoot out of the air.

I want to see some Titans. Malovent entities older than time return to flesh. I want to see them roaming through the ashes of earth at the height of skyscrapers. And our lone Doom Slayer tasked with felling them. With the trusty grappling hook he has to systematically cripple them while simultaneously fending off an endless horde.