Find results in...
DoomNutts369

DOOM OR DUKENUKEM

DOOM OR DUKENUKEM  

78 members have voted

1. 1. DOOM OR DUKENUKEM

• DOOM
    • DUKENUKEM

Look both are very good games but only one will stand the test of time but remember they are both very very very kick ass!

You are aware that you are asking people if they prefer Duke Nukem over Doom in a Doom forum right?

Don't be surprised if Duke doesn't gets that many votes

1 minute ago, DMPhobos said:

You are aware that you are asking people if they prefer Duke Nukem over Doom in a Doom forum right?

Don't be surprised if Duke doesn't gets that many votes

Yes but there both good games so they go hand and hand you cant deny the love of kicking demon ass and alien ass!

Doom, recently came to the conclusion that it's more polished, has better movement, and better gunplay, the weapons in DN feel very imprecise to me in comparison.

Doom is a superior product in just about every way imo but I must admit I absolutely adore Duke3D as well. Despite having more flaws, it's an extremely creative and charming game, especially in terms of the weaponry.

58 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Blood!

9 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I thought I'd be different.

There's always a couple of contrarians, heh.

Oh man talk about nostalgia!  I used to play a lot on my dad's 386 back when I was really young and Duke Nukem was one of the many DOS games I used to play on it.  Also remember when AOL started being a thing and spending like 2 hours downloading the sequel.  Yeah, if you thought the old 56K dialup connections sucked, mine was like 1/4 of that.  Wasn't even worth it because the new game ran slower than sloths having sex.  Anyways, I have to go with Doom being superior, but Duke Nukem will always be a better nostalgia trip for me. 

5 hours ago, DoomNutts369 said:

Look both are very good games but only one will stand the test of time but remember they are both very very very kick ass!

Now, more than 20 years after the release date of Doom and DN3D it is obvious that Doom have won this battle, which never was one. For me it sounds a little bit funny, when todays kids ask questions like this. Back then this wasn't a question, if you where into fps games in the 90ies it was never a question of this game or the other, it was more like this game AND the other. After Doom we played every fps we could get, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage, Dark Forces, we played them, and we loved them, while everybody had his favorites.

My favorite was always Doom, because the gameplay was always more sophisticated. The weapon balance was better, every weapon have more punch and is in game for a reason. It is not just like get bigger weapons for bigger baddies, some weapons are simply more effective against certain enemies, while other enemies could be killed easier by other weapons. Which brings us the the second reason, i like Doom more. The enemies are as thoughtful chosen as the weapons, not just bullet sponges which could suck more and more bullets, the worked completely different. There are enemies like the Imp who fires slow fireball, which coul be dodged rather easy. And than there where the hitscanners, who could be a real threat, if you didn't take them out instantly.

And i found most of the maps a little bit bland and repetitive, especially in the second episode.

But in the end i play Doom AND DN3D every now and then, but have to say that i rarely play any user content for DN3D, just because the Doom community is far bigger and creates much, much more high class stuff every year. The DN3D community suffers from some real problems, the community is rather small, with not so many good mappers. There isn't even one modern source port as usable as GZDoom, PRBoom+ or Chocolate Doom. In fact there is just eDuke32, which works, with a completely broken multiplayer. And there are no comparable modern tools for DN3D like (Gz)Doom Builder or Slade. There is Mapster32, which is a direct port of the old Build Editor, which is far from intuitive. It still woks like an DOS executable, single window, no easy way of switching to other applications and an old very rudimentary GUI makes it a pain in the ass creating maps for it. You still have to print out lists with all the "sector effectors" and stuff to implement these stuff into your maps. No help from the editor.

And as far as i know, there are no modern tools for the asset management, for adding textures and stuff, you still have to use the old DOS tools. I may be wrong at this last point, but last time i took a look at the tools, this was how it was.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

There's always a couple of contrarians, heh.

I just like Blood more than them both, but I would pick Doom over Duke. :P

11 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I just like Blood more than them both, but I would pick Doom over Duke. :P

Indeed, but Blood wasn't in the question. ;)

I'm just messing about though, you enjoy what you enjoy. :)

This has been asked before and yes it is the wrong forum to ask since we have a DOOM slant.

Anyway, the answer is DOOM and will always be DOOM. There's a timelessness that won't get outdated when the jokes get old or when players grow out of their hookers are cool phase. DOOM has a simpler history of quality first person shooters with 2 mobile RPGs. DUKE has a grab bag of various quality games. Sure its fun to have Duke in so many games, but so many are seen as trash.

Blood as well for me ;p

Well, going with back in the day anyway. I loved bloods arsenal, and I still rank its meaty shotgun as the best of the shotguns.

But Doom and Duke also have very fond memories attached, so I wouldn't specifically vote for any of them.

Given the choice, I would have to say Doom. And not just because this is a Doom forum. The look and presentation were polished, the game was fast (or slow, if you wanted to play it that way), it was relatively easy to map for, there were pwads galore, the weapons choices were balanced, and the enemy variety was sound. The engine was even flexible enough that you could make it do things it wasn't necessarily designed to do. All in all, as I see it, Doom was the cream of the crop.

Duke Nukem 3D definitely had its moments and the cutscenes were a nice touch. It was more risque in places and it had some nice features, like the mighty boot or the jetpack or being able to regenerate health by drinking water (even if it was out of a broken toilet). I liked the design of the levels, too. I also recall Romero saying that of all the other FPS's that came out around that time, DN3D was the only one that came close to touching Doom.

Rise of the Triad was fun. The Hand of God, Dog Mode, the ability to choose different different characters (who had different strengths and weaknesses), dual pistols, wall damage, quite a vertical feel to some of the levels with the jump pads and the floating platforms--there were a number of things to like about ROTT. The first time I got to the end, I didn't destroy all the eggs, so that was an annoying twist.

I only played the shareware release of Blood, but it was fun, too. Using a pitchfork as a weapon was a different, and I don't know of another FPS where you can get run over by a ghost train. I also never tried to dress up as Doomguy, Duke, or anyone from ROTT, but I did go to a Halloween party in college dressed kind of like Caleb (black trenchcoat, black cowboy hat, black sunglasses since I don't have glowing red eyes). I think only 1 person at the party got the costume. As I recall, my girlfriend (now my wife) kind of shook her head as she walked beside me dressed as a French maid.

I much prefer any of the "Big Three" Build games to classic Doom/Doom II. id's games paved the way for everything that has come along since and make for a fantastic and accessible platform for modding and map-making, but DN3D's humour, wonderful level design and high level of fun interactivity is for me unbeatable as far as '90s shooters go.

I'm very fond of Blood and Shadow Warrior as well - actually I've just started writing and designing a kind of zine (for want of a better word) that celebrates the "Big Three".

5 hours ago, cybdmn said:

In fact there is just eDuke32, which works, with a completely broken multiplayer.

There's JonoF D3D as well.

I kind of wish that Doom II had an aesthetic closer to Duke Nukem 3D, honestly? Specifically because of the Hell on Earth plot. Like, in Duke you can always tell it takes place on Earth, and in Doom you sometimes can. There's all these great urban environments which come easily to Duke in a way they just don't come easily to Doom. Duke's also got a great sense of verticality which Doom rarely comes close to. Duke can run through a series of corridors almost as well as Doom guy, but Doom guy is rarely seen on skyscrapers!

And then of course there's the sense of humor and personality. The nameless space marine just doesn't have one, not compared to Duke Nukem. Caleb of Blood, and Lo Wang of Shadow Warrior, have a decent sense of humor though. Too bad Interceptor lost the Duke Nukem license. Additionally, I like that Duke, unlike Doom, doesn't have to be an FPS character or game. I'm quite fond of Duke Nukem & Duke Nukem II. If I was boss of Gearbox I'd mess with the world by creating "Duke Nukem III" as a side scroller! I basically see Duke Nukem as a more versatile character than the Doom Slayer, marine, or whatever else you want to call him. Duke can fight mad scientists, robots, Nazis, mutants, aliens, travel in time, travel in space - in other words, he can basically do anything. He's kind of a gun toting super-hero, and super-heroes can basically function in any kind of story.

All of which said, the enemies and monsters in Doom are just cooler. There's no doubt in my mind that an invasion of demons from hell is way more interesting and thought provoking a concept than yet another alien invasion, especially ones that want to "steal our chicks," a self-evidently chauvinistic plot. In some ways, Duke's versatility works against him in this regard. Doom only has one plot: demons show up on a Mars base and want to invade Earth, which may or not be successful and lead to more Earth based fighting. I'll never get bored with that. I am bored with the Duke 3D aliens, in part because I think the "steal our chicks" plot has no narrative merit, and it's been done at least twice in detail. Other plots with Duke are possible, but it's been a long time since any have been explored.

5 hours ago, Quadrops said:

There's JonoF D3D as well.

And the icculus port, but neither of them is in active development. That’s why I wrote „in fact“.

The Build engine can feel pretty wonky at times in terms of its physics, and freelook is inherently weird in 2.5D games anyway, so Doom just feels better overall to me.

It's kind of like the Unreal vs. Quake situation. One has a more interesting, diverse arsenal, while the other has superior core mechanics and enemy design.

i love duke nukem, its a great step of doom,  but doom is the original

i love both but more doom :3

Duke was a great game. If it weren't for an actually decent sequel in Doom 4 and the fact that Duke's editing support was ass for the longest time I'd be willing to bet there'd be less of a slant in favor of the former.

DOOM and DukeNukem are basically the same thing only with different mosters weapons and textures.  The main difference is that DOOM is much better.

13 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

DOOM and DukeNukem are basically the same thing only with different mosters weapons and textures.  The main difference is that DOOM is much better.

hmmmmm169.png.771771fd1ec2d73d90cf7e91b8fa6e42.png