Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Baculus from crunchynut.  The first wad I've played that's specifically balanced for continuous play but I've been pistol starting each map.  It's interesting in that regard, imo.  The challenge exists, each map has it's own bite in a way but I've managed to play roughly half of it either saveless or saving but without dying.  I have no idea how "easy going" it would be continuous as Crunchy put it in a pm.  Regardless, I've enjoyed myself playing this a great deal.  Scythe-ish gameplay and interesting setups abound; I'm interesting in replaying it in the future.

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@Nems Thank you, have you tested in complevel 9? which is the compatibility the wad's theoretically aimed for (no zdoomisms).

I haven't, no. I used either Boom compat or Boom compat (strict) in (G)ZDoom (can't recall which since it's been a few months since I last played it). Hopefully someone else will be able to do a complevel 9 test.

50shades was quite a thing, positively speaking, lots of ingenious works on limitations and strategic gameplay. Save for a couple maps, including the extra bonus one, this megawad is dope. Also, whoever made that sky, masterful.

Anyway, in order to keep avoiding to write reviews (now 5 pending...), I just got Vae Victus to play with Crispy, and I have no idea what this wad is about, nothing, zero. 

I got into the perfect MooD to play something that is already known, and still different at the same time.
Thanks @KVELLER, I really got confused quite a few times and went down the wrong way. :D

2 more maps and I've conquered Hellbound. I'd say overall I liked the first half a bit more, but I'm always more of a sucker for the Earth styled base/complex levels over Hell. Regardless, this is one of the best megawads I've ever played, I absolutely loved it. Though I did have to noclip Map 19 "Frontier Lab", I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the red key.

Back to Saturn X looks like a good one for my next choice, but it also looks like a lot of huge maps and I might need a break from that after Hellbound haha. I'm thinking either that or the Japanese Community Pack when I'm ready for another big one.

I somehow never knew about Sawdust and Valiant is one of my favorites, so maybe I'll go with that since it's just a few maps.

When I first played PC Doom, spectres were honestly a bit disappointing - their blackish colour made me think I was fighting the NM variety, as well as the fact that NM spectres were used quite heavily around those late E1 levels. Turns out NM spectres didn't even exist on the PC!

Enjoy the Deimos maps next, the creepier atmosphere that they had to begin with blends very nicely with the PSX style. Halls of the Damned was really something else. (At least, I assume this is your first experience of the PSX version?)

2 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

At least, I assume this is your first experience of the PSX version?

You assume correctly.

I am enjoying it so far, and I've found it to be more damning than the PC version, though I suspect that's because the actual PS1 hardware was more limited on memory and so there are more shotgunners than I remember from PC!E1.

Still, having a good time and I stopped on Deimos Anomaly. I'll pick it back up after I really really quickly try to build another map for Infernew to fill one of the gaps.

Vae Victus was alright, kinda the grindy side of Alien Vendetta and Deus Vult, no hectic parts or tense situations unless you pretend everything is a lock-in trap, also a bit bugged and "zdoomized" (needs no autoaim for monster out of reach, and infinite height off to avoid tedious damage in map 06), but worked fairly well in Crispy.

Now I'm going to start a wad called Flashback to Hell with glboom+, looks a tad between doom 2 remakes and other stuff, sound effects are "enhanced" and no need to create a hud for it (:

Gonna play through Counterattack and then Demonfear using the Doomzone mod, playing as the Marksman class in both WADs.

Knocked out Sawdust and I'm about halfway into Back to Saturn X EP1. Going from Hellbound to these was a bit of a rude awakening haha, back to the classic monster closets and traps, small spaces, etc. And I can tell some of these maps don't seem balanced with Complex Doom in mind...

I think that's something that sets Hellbound apart though, I really liked how most of the enemies were actually placed rather than the maps mostly being made up with traps and triggers. This isn't to say it wasn't hard either, definitely had some really challenging maps here and there with huge enemy counts. I wonder if there's anything else out there quite like Hellbound?

14 hours ago, Xeogred said:

And I can tell some of these maps don't seem balanced with Complex Doom in mind...

All of these maps.*

Not only do those wads predate Complex Doom, it's not a mapper's responsibility to balance for gameplay mods and the vast majority don't give it any thought. :P 

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

All of these maps.*

Not only do those wads predate Complex Doom, it's not a mapper's responsibility to balance for gameplay mods and the vast majority don't give it any thought. :P 

That and I find Complex Doom turns things up to unfair bullshit levels of hard anyway no matter the mapset (even more so when you stack the Frankenmods for Complex Doom on top of that). Don't get me wrong: I love mods that do amp up the difficulty (I'm a huge fan of Colorful Hell and DoomRLA Monsters, after all) but those felt like there was some balance put into them versus Complex Doom and its add-ons.

Anywho, I'm now playing through the Scythe series (Scythe, Scythe 2, Scythe X) with Doomzone, playing as the Recon class.

On 8/1/2018 at 4:50 PM, Nems said:

Anywho, I'm now playing through the Scythe series (Scythe, Scythe 2, Scythe X) with Doomzone, playing as the Recon class.

You might want to choose a lower skill for Scythe 2 if you haven't yet, it's nothing easier than the prequel. 

As for me I'll be starting The Abyss with crispy in about minutes, I read it's among the best earliest megawads. Hope that's true. Flashback to Hell was sweet excepting the finale, which ruined my mood (you guessed, "classic" IoS), also some odd difficulty spikes and archvile placement a bit unexpected, but enjoyable after all. 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:11 AM, rdwpa said:

All of these maps.*

Oh yeah, I should have said I certainly don't expect that haha... it's on me for breaking things a bit with Complex.

I'm nearing the end of Back to Saturn X. I weirdly don't like the music much, it's definitely different and gives it a unique personality... but something about it is weird. Overall it's been awesome though. I think I'll finally check out Plutonia 2 next and without Complex.

As a fan of Doom for 25+ some years now I just really dig how Complex randomizes some enemy types and bumps up the roster a ton, some cool new guns and ideas too. But yeah sometimes it's definitely some BS moments with unfair spawns or combos of enemies for sure. Other than that I don't like any other mods personally (I have not touched DoomRLA Monsters or Colorful Hell though, maybe I should check those out), Complex seems the closest to vanilla in ways... but yeah. I'm not always in the mood for it but it can be cool to replay some wads with it. I still think vanilla Doom is perfect and I also don't use vertical mouselook.

Edited by Xeogred

Slowly getting back into Doom, and decided to try my hand on Zdoom Wars (1). Havent played with other players yet, but I can really see why it is so different and fun for a DM setup. although I wish the bots actually were randomized to different classes and actually used the different summons.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

You might want to choose a lower skill for Scythe 2 if you haven't yet, it's nothing easier than the prequel. 

If this is in reference to my recently published review of Scythe then I may do that but only if Scythe 2 has nonsense like map 28. I haven't decided yet (I'm still slogging through map 30 of the original Scythe). If I had known the shortcut for map 28 is dependent on difficulty then I would have done a lower one. I was a little unfair with my review for Scythe and I need to edit it slightly (the two stars stands but there's a detail I harped on a little too harshly; I should know better than to post a review when I'm pissed off :P).

Currently giving Ancient Aliens another spin. The last time I played was last year, I think.

Pistol starting each map on UV and generally having a good time. I'll have to revise my opinion on it.

34 minutes ago, Nems said:

If this is in reference to my recently published review of Scythe then I may do that but only if Scythe 2 has nonsense like map 28. I haven't decided yet (I'm still slogging through map 30 of the original Scythe). If I had known the shortcut for map 28 is dependent on difficulty then I would have done a lower one. I was a little unfair with my review for Scythe and I need to edit it slightly (the two stars stands but there's a detail I harped on a little too harshly; I should know better than to post a review when I'm pissed off :P).

That is fine, we've been all been there once, it's wise to let the anger flow instead of ranting while angry. Scythe's map 28 is like the black sheep of the wad, nothing like the rest and a strange unique concept for a map. Scythe 2 takes the gameplay from the prequel to an extended outlook, it emphasizes most of it in longer levels and adds new things in between. This is why I recalled lower settings, though the differences between HMP and UV in Scythe 2 aren't so notorious iirc, also skipping maps you don't enjoy isn't a wrong idea if you're ok with it.   

6 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Currently giving Ancient Aliens another spin. The last time I played was last year, I think.

Pistol starting each map on UV and generally having a good time. I'll have to revise my opinion on it.

*dying intensifies*

Can't wait to hear your revised opinion.

I've started playing Ancient Aliens. Finished 5 levels this morning, but tbh, didn't enjoy much them.

The first level is actually really good and unique, but then a similar concept is repeated on maps 3, 4 and 5, which was quite dissapointing. These levels features an element which puts pressure on the player which can't be handled until very late. Map 1 has a cyberdemon, then 3 has infinite spiders, 4 two arch-villes and 5 a cyberdemon (this time free roaming). The remaining map 2 wasn't really remarkable too. Balance-wise, this is also has a lot more resource starvation than Valiant (which had more medkits than enemies haha). In-fighting, punching and single-shotgun are required elements, which tbh I don't enjoy much (I prefer rocket-ing stuff and use in-fight as an option instead of the requirement).

Combine this with the resource starvation, and then any miss or setpiece which you survive with low health, it was better to start the level again because health wasn't enough. Surely these maps are targeting players a lot more skilled than me. Lowering the difficult might make things more fun for me, but eeh, the nature of these maps hasn't got me much interesting tbh. Not sure how things will be with maps with more "normal" gameplay (with higher tier weapons)... On other hand, the thematic and colors pleases me a lot more than Valiant, and the soundtrack is godly.

Playing Struggle now, and after that Exomoon. That's some fast Imps and deadly Zombiemen though, never thought I'll be worried of dying to them lol.

Then, I dunno :v .

On 7/29/2018 at 6:51 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

xn2YkvU.png

The TC.

Those nightmare pinkies are the worst because they're tankier than normal ones.

What sector lightning are you using? I'm trying to get it as close as possible in terms of look to the real deal, but could never quite nail it. The colors would end up less intense than I'd like.

Also using ZDoom32.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

What sector lightning are you using? I'm trying to get it as close as possible in terms of look to the real deal, but could never quite nail it. The colors would end up less intense than I'd like.

Also using ZDoom32.

I don't know. The default? I had to set the gamma at 1.3, I think to see, but I'm using the software renderer.

11 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I don't know. The default? I had to set the gamma at 1.3, I think to see, but I'm using the software renderer.

Oh, so that's Software not OpenGL as I assumed originally.