Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2011 at 9:42 PM, Encryptic said:

Were you using a source port or playing in Chocolate Doom?

Chocolate Doom can't even run.  I play freaking Entryway and I can't see anything but blur.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:40 PM, Doge Sword said:

Chocolate Doom can't even run.  I play freaking Entryway and I can't see anything but blur.

Can you take a screenshot, or even take a picture of your monitor. Maybe your monitor can't display the port's default resolution?

3 minutes ago, kb1 said:

Can you take a screenshot, or even take a picture of your monitor. Maybe your monitor can't display the port's default resolution?

Bruv I have a fricking Alienware laptop.

17 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

Bruv I have a fricking Alienware laptop.

That matters not, we need to see what you see to diagnose the problem. Although he's wrong about the default resolution, chocolate doom uses your monitors native resolution always.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That matters not, we need to see what you see to diagnose the problem. Although he's wrong about the default resolution, chocolate doom uses your monitors native resolution always.

Sure about that?

Are you sure that it works, in every case? Blur, and all...

10 hours ago, kb1 said:

Are you sure that it works, in every case?

Yes.

16 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Guys, you don't need to try to fix my problem.  I use Gzdoom and love it.

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Yes.

Cool, give me the next Pick 6 so I can finally win the big lottery!

9 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

Guys, you don't need to try to fix my problem.  I use Gzdoom and love it.

I'm always curious to know what problems people have, and how they are resolved. That information can be useful to a lot of people over time, you know?

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

Cool, give me the next Pick 6 so I can finally win the big lottery!

Well if you find a flaw in it, you should direct it to developers of SDL2.

Edited by Edward850

23 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Well if you find a flaw in it, you should direct it to developers of SDL2.

I just find it a bit 'optimistic' to start making broad claims about how things function without a screenshot, or even a detailed description. Your knack for finding fault in my posts leaves me feeling demotivated, with no obvious positive purpose. Treading a bit lighter would be very much appreciated :)

14 hours ago, kb1 said:

I just find it a bit 'optimistic' to start making broad claims about how things function without a screenshot, or even a detailed description. Your knack for finding fault in my posts leaves me feeling demotivated, with no obvious positive purpose. Treading a bit lighter would be very much appreciated :)

Look, I'm not trying to be offensive, I just feel like you don't believe me.  I can't even figure out how to get chocolate doom to run so that I could send you a screenshot.

Microsoft used Watcom C instead of their own compiler to build Doom95 exe. Also exe has debug symbols that can be dumped with Watcom's WDUMP utility.

Today I learnt the Cyberdemon was originally cyber-less, and its original fleshy form was slewn by B.J. in Spear of Destiny.

8 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Today I learnt the Cyberdemon was originally cyber-less, and its original fleshy form was slewn by B.J. in Spear of Destiny.

That didn't happen in Spear of Destiny. B.J. killed the Angel of Death in Spear of Destiny. This was done in Wolfenstein RPG with the Spear of Destiny and it was carried over into Doom II RPG, both of which are ambiguously canon at best.

Doom RPG

In Doom RPG, the cyberdemon was created by evil mastermind Kronos by combining human technology with demon flesh.

Wolfenstein RPG

The cyberdemon was originally known as the Harbinger of Doom. During World War II, he was summoned at Castle Wolfenstein by the Axis army. B.J. Blazkowicz was able to defeat it with the Spear of Destiny, destroying its right leg and left arm. The Harbinger of Doom vowed that it would have a rematch with Blazkowicz's descendent in the future. The rematch happened in Doom II RPG.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cyberdemon

I could also put a link here to Wolfenstein Wikia, which is the only wiki I can find for Wolfenstein, but I'm not going to because wikia doesn't care for accuracy.

Note that the quote above suggests Doomguy is a descendant of B.J., which is also only carried through to Doom RPG, and goes against the actual source material which actually states that you are Doomguy.

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action.

https://www.scribd.com/document/35276066/Ultimate-DOOM-Manual

So, in short, I wouldn't believe anything that Wolfenstein RPG and Doom RPG say.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Things

Ah well, I go with the headcanon that Doomguy and the Doomslayer are one and the same and Doomguy is indeed Blazkowitz's descendent, so the Harbinger of Doom bit fit nicely into that and I thought it was cool (shrugs).

36 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I do not know if this applies to every source port, but if you type in iddt and then look at the automap, the arrow will look different.

This happens in vanilla and all the source ports.

8 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

Look, I'm not trying to be offensive, I just feel like you don't believe me.  I can't even figure out how to get chocolate doom to run so that I could send you a screenshot.

I do believe you. My comment was directed to Edward850. The screenshot might help you or others to figure out why Chocolate doesn't work for you, but, it was basically a curiosity.

@crazyflyingdonut: Boom changed the arrow lines - the lines actually spell out initials.

48 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I do not know if this applies to every source port, but if you type in iddt and then look at the automap, the arrow will look different.

The iddt cheat code can be used to display all linedefs and Things on the map. Zooming in closely on the player while this is active shows the letters "ddt", a reference to Dave Taylor who wrote the automap code. Boom modifies this: the letters "jff" are visible instead, a reference to Jim Flynn.

Dave D. Taylor, who used to sign with "=-ddt->" (e.g.) an ASCII art arrow bearing his initials, wrote the automap code and used an arrow to represent the player position and direction. When you type the iddt cheat code (cheat codes are another thing Dave Taylor handled in Doom), your player arrow becomes a ddt arrow.

ZDoom lets you redefine the map arrows if you want to.

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

On UV difficulty, only FOUR plutonia maps DON'T contain an Arch-Vile. These maps being MAP02, MAP04, MAP06 and MAP25.

Heh, one can never have enough Arch-Viles lol.

15 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Heh, one can never have enough Arch-Viles lol.

You, Sir, need to seek help.

Are you also one of the masochists that enjoys having archviles released into areas you've already cleared out?

19 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

On UV difficulty, only FOUR plutonia maps DON'T contain an Arch-Vile. These maps being MAP02, MAP04, MAP06 and MAP25.

And yet MAP02 has the bridge that so many players seem to die on (go check out this month's Ironman if you don't believe me). So the Archvile would probably just be overkill there.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

That didn't happen in Spear of Destiny. B.J. killed the Angel of Death in Spear of Destiny. This was done in Wolfenstein RPG with the Spear of Destiny and it was carried over into Doom II RPG, both of which are ambiguously canon at best.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cyberdemon

I could also put a link here to Wolfenstein Wikia, which is the only wiki I can find for Wolfenstein, but I'm not going to because wikia doesn't care for accuracy.

Note that the quote above suggests Doomguy is a descendant of B.J., which is also only carried through to Doom RPG, and goes against the actual source material which actually states that you are Doomguy.

https://www.scribd.com/document/35276066/Ultimate-DOOM-Manual

So, in short, I wouldn't believe anything that Wolfenstein RPG and Doom RPG say.

It kinda sounds like you're saying Wikia makes ALL the wikis they have on their own, i used a few times and it's pretty accurate.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

Are you also one of the masochists that enjoys having archviles released into areas you've already cleared out?

Of course not, that was sarcasm :v .

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

That is what makes archviles archviles, now, isn't it?

Neverwinter Nights' wiki is on Wikia, and I haven't had any problems with it, other than way too many ads.