Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperPCGamer

WTF [Doom cover art]

I was always too distracted by the sheer awesomeness that is the Doom cover. 

Interesting that you said that but, more importantly... did you looked at the mechanical arm of the baron in front of the marine (maybe that's why the cybruiser was created...who knows)?

:D

Traditional computer game box art always took some liberties with regard to the actual content, was often produced long before the game itself was finished.

4 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I want to know more about the Baron with a MegaMan arm cannon

Lmao, now that you mention it I'm curious too.

I ought to stop missing the obvious... I would've probably never realized that if no one brough it up :v .

4 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

atleast the designs of them anyway.

I think so. Barons look different, none of them have mechanical arms, and Doomguy's gloves are yellow not black.

3 hours ago, Urthar said:

was often produced long before the game itself was finished.

Yeah. I always though Doomguy's weapon on the cover was in fact the cut assault rifle seen in the alphas or the press release beta.

What about the weird haircut on the cover of Doom 2?

And why not complain that Doomguy isn't wearing spiked brass knuckles on one hand?

Personally, what always got my attention on the Doom 1 cover wasn't the gun, but was the Baron behind Doomguy reaching up to grab his leg.

The bottom line is, artistic license is usually taken in cover art and it's rather common for covers to show things that either never actually happen in the game or that don't happen quite the way they're portrayed.

I always asumed that was the chaingun, it makes sense if you consider how weak the chaingun is and feels in comparison to the other weapons like the plasma rifle, the rocket launcher, the BFG and the SSG in DOOM II. It feels more like a multibarreled SMG.

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:
9 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Lmao, now that you mention it I'm curious too.

hZrMBIb.png 

This monster should be considered canon.

Also, this guy is a terrible player; he's just leapt into a horde of Barons, circle strafing be damned. Even his co-op buddy is waving at him to stop being a Leeroy Jenkins.

The cover art is just there to look cool...

OR MAYBE IT IS STUFF FROM SECRET DOOM THAT ONLY PEOPLE WHO WORK AT ID GAMES HAVE!!!

11 hours ago, SuperPCGamer said:

Okay, does anyone else wonder why Doomguy has an SMG on the DooM cover art when there is no SMG in DooM?

Doom Cover.jpg

wait a second - where is the other marine in the background???  I swear I've seen him there.

Hey it could be worse.  At least it's not as bad as the original NES Mega Man box art.  And as far as the Doom guy goes, that's not an SMG he's holding.  An SMG fires pistol cartridges whereas an MG fires rifle cartridges and it's very clear for those like me who are gun nuts that the magazine in the gun is holding rifle cartridges. 

26 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

wait a second - where is the other marine in the background???  I swear I've seen him there.

You have. He's there. I don't know where this particular cover art is from, but all the ones I've ever seen have DOOM higher up and another Marine (this one with intact armor) coming to his aid. There's even a thread on reddit about that other Marine.

3 minutes ago, Maser said:

Hey it could be worse.  At least it's not as bad as the original NES Mega Man box art. 

True. But what happened between the covers for Mega Man 1 and 2 and Mega Man 3? Did Capcom finally hire an artist who realized that Mega Man wasn't holding a gun, but had a cannon on the end of his arm?

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

You have. He's there. I don't know where this particular cover art is from, but all the ones I've ever seen have DOOM higher up and another Marine (this one with intact armor) coming to his aid. There's even a thread on reddit about that other Marine.

It's a wallpaper. The entire scene looks like it's been cut up and rearranged.

15 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Same, now that you mention it

6 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Also, this guy is a terrible player; he's just leapt into a horde of Barons, circle strafing be damned. Even his co-op buddy is waving at him to stop being a Leeroy Jenkins.

Haha, yeah, he needs to learn how to play before he tries to do so

6 hours ago, Pegleg said:

And why not complain that Doomguy isn't wearing spiked brass knuckles on one hand?

Weird haircut....Oh! I have the disk, lemme take a look....and you are right! It is very weird, since doomguy's haircut does not look like that. Oh, and why he's not wearing spiked brass knuckles on that hand? He holds the pistol with that hand. Look and see if there's brass knuckles there. It's weird how fast he takes them off. It's like, you don't even SEE it.

Here's something else I noticed on the cover: He shoots two pellets into a baron and the baron dies. TWO PELLETS. We all know damn well it takes more than two pellets to kill a baron. And, some might say "what if it was meant to be a demon/pinky", but here's my answer: It still takes more than two pellets to kill a demon! And, the following DOOM 4 version of the cover hints at the suggestion that that's an imp, BUT imps look nothing like that in-game, and did I not mention two monsters who takes more than two pellets to kill? The imp is a third one

doom 4 cover redo.jpg

On 8/4/2018 at 6:37 AM, Doge Sword said:

Turns out the other marine is possessed if you take a closer look.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:48 PM, SuperPCGamer said:

*Stuff about the covers contradicting the games*

The covers took something called Artistic License. It doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to draw attention.

How many movie posters do you see doing the same thing? How many book covers? This isn't a new phenomenon.

In fact, I basically just repeated what Pegleg said in the post you quoted, but left out, presumably deliberately, to make your ridiculous point.

Here's the full post:

On 8/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, Pegleg said:

Personally, what always got my attention on the Doom 1 cover wasn't the gun, but was the Baron behind Doomguy reaching up to grab his leg.

The bottom line is, artistic license is usually taken in cover art and it's rather common for covers to show things that either never actually happen in the game or that don't happen quite the way they're portrayed.

Notice what I just repeated I've bolded here.

Try reading the Doom Bible. You may find out all of the hidden mysteries of why the stuff on the cover isn't there in the actual game.

LNXOr16.jpg

1. Doesn't look like BJ at all! BJ's hair isn't black, and he's wearing a prisoner uniform, not shirtless with jean pants.

2. What the heck is that three-barrelled weapon?

3. Why is not-BJ shooting the ceiling? You can't aim your weapon up and down in Wolf 3D

4. There's a guard coming down the stairs here. But there are no stairs in Wolf 3D, only elevators for level transitions.

5. The Nazis here are wearing green uniforms, however Nazi uniforms in Wolf 3D are brown (guards), blue (SS), or white (officers).

6. Not-BJ is kicking an enemy, but you cannot kick in Wolf 3D, the only melee weapon being a knife.

7. The enemy's weapon is also missing from the game.

8. Also why is shooting despite its trigger no longer being pressed?

What a productive and useful topic!