Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads that feature time travel?

ATM I can only think of eternal doing this (And possibly twilight zone and Icarus).  Someone asked a long time ago (unanswered) and the thread advised not to add to it because of its' age.

Wouldn't Faster-Than-Light imply imaginary time travel? Since any velocity greater than c plugged into the relativistic gamma equation would produce an imaginary number for gamma.

On that note, I thought teleporters took a tic to actually transport the player/monster/object, so wouldn't their maximum possible "transport velocity" in-game be around 60 km/s?

22 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

On that note, I thought teleporters took a tic to actually transport the player/monster/object, so wouldn't their maximum possible "transport velocity" in-game be around 60 km/s?

Indeed, and if you're playing on a sourceport that supports movement interpolation, it's sometimes possible (depending on the exact teleportation method) to see the object whizzing across the map.

43 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Wouldn't Faster-Than-Light imply imaginary time travel? Since any velocity greater than c plugged into the relativistic gamma equation would produce an imaginary number for gamma.

That depends on where the end points of the teleporters are supposed to be. Certainly, teleportation isn't that impressive when it's within the same facility, as in you could physically walk between both ends in less than five minutes instead of taking the teleporter. But what if the level represent two different areas? Let's say one end is supposed to be on Mars while the other is on Earth? The distance covered would then be somewhere between about 55 and 400 million kilometers, depending on their respective orbital positions. Let's use the closest distance, with 55 million kilometers. To travel that distance in one tic means that you have a speed of 35*55 million kilometer per second, or 1 925 000 000 000 m/s. That's about 6 421 times c. With the furthest distance, we even reach about 46 700 c.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, these mapsets all involve "time travel" as part of their narratives:

Army of Darkness TC

Chris Hansen's Ad Infernos levels (Revenge of Avind, The Blessed Hex, The Unknown Chasm, and Quail)

Dimensions of Time

Scythe

Flashback to Hell

Resurgence

Encrypter

Additionally, the original iteration of The Plutonia Experiment involved something that was similar if not identical to time travel, with the quantum accelerator allowing its user to travel to "alternate time periods".

2 minutes ago, Master O said:

Ancient Aliens

Deus Vult 2

Um, when did these wads have time travel? IIRC there were no time travel stuff.

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

In aa30 you witness the illuminati building the pyramids. Tho it's inconclusive if they travelled back in time to do it and cover up their meddling, or if they merely set up a parallel Earth to confuse doomguy alone.

37 minutes ago, dew said:

In aa30 you witness the illuminati building the pyramids. Tho it's inconclusive if they travelled back in time to do it and cover up their meddling, or if they merely set up a parallel Earth to confuse doomguy alone.

I plan on exploring this more in an upcoming novella.

8 hours ago, invictius said:

ATM I can only think of eternal doing this (And possibly twilight zone and Icarus).  Someone asked a long time ago (unanswered) and the thread advised not to add to it because of its' age.

of course I assumed the poster was writing about Eternal Doom and not Doom Eternal

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Technically, any map featuring teleportation features time-travel, since teleportation, being instantaneous, is faster-than-light travel, and FTL travel implies time travel.

It also depends on whether demontech teleportation follows relativity at all, though. I assumed it was dicking around interdimensional wibbles, after all.

10 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Well, you could get arbitrary velocities then with arbitrary distances.

Of course, Doom doesn't always follow the rules of real geometry, so whatever.

The whole Doomiverse is only about two miles across before it wraps around in the void (max speed is 92680 units in one gametic). So no teleport can be faster than the speed of light. I'm not taking height differences into account, but that's not going to push it over the edge.

In any case, any object that exists travels in time. Forwards, that is.

On the original topic, I'll refer you to my answer here:

The ones that have an element of "time travel" that immediately spring to mind for me are

Osiris, Odyssey and Eternal.

Edited by Grazza

7 hours ago, Catpho said:

Between Maps 19 and 20 in Deus Vult 2.  

Epic 2 with the secret levels features time travel......sad that those 2 maps are the only ones

2 hours ago, Master O said:

This one is more "travel back to earth" than travel through time. 

3 hours ago, Master O said:

I considered this and Osiris but since both are drawing from the Stargate franchise I took that to imply that these Egyptian worlds were actually a bastion of the aliens that forced their iconography on the Egyptians.