Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

8 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

the best i can do at this time is send over what i have.

would you like us to finish it for you friend? i can do it!!!!! maybe!!!!! :D

After thinking it over some more, I'm going to officially withdraw my map from consideration for this project.

If anyone wants to see my last version-in-progress (I'd made several changes since the last tested version, adjusting the ammo/monster balance, fixing the ending, and making the starting area less square) I'll gladly share it with you if you PM me.  Not gonna post it here since that would be weird what with me no longer being in the project.  I may also finish polishing it and give it a separate release someday.

Thank you to bonnie for considering my map, and for everyone who took the time to test it and give feedback.  I hope you at least enjoyed the process, at least after the biggest quality of life changes. :D

10 hours ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

Name: Twin Serpents
Inspired by: E3M3, E3M4, E3M8, E3M9
Build time: 50 Hours
Music: E2M6
Coop support: limited
DM support: limited
Description (optional): An experiment. I was bored.
Demo: None yet.

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114436.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114610.png

Frankly, while this is seems like an exquisite looking map and I definitely want to play it, these two screenshots look like they'd be out of place in a vanilla-inferno-inspired episode.  The level of trim and detail are a bit too high.  Just my thoughts.

edit: Playing it has reinforced this impression.  It's absolutely lovely, don't get me wrong.  And the texture choice/juxtaposition is bang-on Inferno.  But the execution, the amount of trim and detail in some areas struck me as a much later, like early-00s take on that theme.  Obviously it's bonnie's call though.

The barrel crusher trap felt unfair.

The choice between weapons is an interesting idea but is the player really supposed to play the entire rest of the level without the other weapon?  I ended up looking sadly at my maxed-out rockets and all the further rockets I was coming across.  Felt bad man.

Is there any way to get back into the yellow key area if you jump down without actually getting the key?  Or maybe you can't jump down until you have?  I admit I didn't check.

Not sufficiently obvious that one can get close enough to flip the exit switch through the blocking torch.  Unless you're really married to that torch, I'd just remove it.

There seemed to be a sector with a missing floor flat, through which you can see the sky, here: (yes it's in gzdoom, I dunno if that has anything to do with it)

image.png.f55211259d263c3150d0977678c1ecd5.png

Seems like one can fall down here and get stuck:

image.png.f77a0e2aaea4512659b60c67713f1c9d.png

So yeah.  All in all, a superb, lovely map that nonetheless might not fit in a project about recapturing the feel of vanilla Inferno.  Not my decision to make, though.  

Edited by jerrysheppy

16 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Quick question, due to the styling of the maps, would Ep. 4 also be valid as a base for inspiration? i always though E4 was very similar to E3

E4 is much closer to the generic hell/gothic theme, with full-on marble, wood and so on. But there are some similarities (especially Unholy Cathedral / Limbo), so I'd say some inspiration should be fine. As long as there are distinct inferno elements.

FDA for Twin Serpents Urth_Kaito_Serpents.zip

(Recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

I managed to break the map in the demo before I was able to locate the yellow key, but it's a gorgeous looking map that squarely nails the Inferno vibe.

However, it obviously wasn't built with vanilla in mind. Even before you open any doors, there are problems with visplanes and drawsegs:

TwinSerpents.jpg.e87670f63a54748614f17e9e48851da6.jpg

Structurally, it's probably possible to strip this down to get it to run in Chocolate Doom, but so much care and attention was obviously poured into this map, that it would almost feel criminal to do so.

53 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Structurally, it's probably possible to strip this down to get it to run in Chocolate Doom, but so much care and attention was obviously poured into this map, that it would almost feel criminal to do so.

As implied above, I agree with this assessment.  I would encourage you to keep this map as is, polishing it for release separately, and consider making a different map for Infernew.  You've got the aesthetic locked down so hard that all you'd need to do is keep detail limits in mind.

@JustCallMeKaito

Here's a prB+ cl2 (semi)FDA for Twin Serpents. Learned about the crusher hallway in Chocolate Doom when I loaded it up there to configure Chocolate Doom. 

jcmkaito_rd_fda.zip

Posting this because I got softlocked in the last fight after being trapped in a floor that didn't raise. It was a fun, pretty map. I do get the impression it needs a thorough pass for potential gamebreakers. 

FDA for Blood Slough Urth_Shades_Infernew.zip

(Recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

Seemed pretty fun. There a lot of recognisable bits lifted out of the original episode, but with a different twist. Which reminded me of Inferno's secret map in some ways.

16 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

The level of trim and detail are a bit too high.  Just my thoughts.

edit: Playing it has reinforced this impression.  It's absolutely lovely, don't get me wrong.  And the texture choice/juxtaposition is bang-on Inferno.  But the execution, the amount of trim and detail in some areas struck me as a much later, like early-00s take on that theme.  Obviously it's bonnie's call though.

So yeah.  All in all, a superb, lovely map that nonetheless might not fit in a project about recapturing the feel of vanilla Inferno.  Not my decision to make, though.  

@bonnie So that's a good question to clarify, by Inferno styling and inspiration, are we meaning in texture use and themes or physical design? or a little gray area in-between? I ask because i'm fine with inferno styling, but I personally am bad at doing old-school true vanilla design.

new feedback post lets go:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ShadesMaster warning: mean stuff first >:c

First, please don't start the player on a damaging floor. Second, the player finishes with WAAAAAAY too many supplies!! I basically finished with 200hp, 200 armor, and around 250/50/5/240. I'm sorry, but that's like super duper unacceptable. On top of that, I didn't really enjoy the cyberdemon fight overall and I really didn't like the spider mastermind at the end. It doesn't add anything to the map and just breaks up the flow. If every map has some finale with some extra-hard encounter at the end, the maps wouldn't flow very well between each other like they would in the original games. You can have a tiny fight at the end, just don't try to make it some grand finale. As for the cyberman, it was kinda weird. The environment doesn't make for good dodging, especially from the splash damage. I recommend spacing parts of that room out so you can dodge effectively, if you're going to keep the cyberboy. The only other suggestion I have would be to add a stimpack or next to the raised radsuit when you drop into the spectre valley so that players know there's health they can get and aren't blindly jumping onto a damaging floor of superdeath. The only other-other suggestion would be to slightly tweak that one zigzag part with the rev, caco, pain elemental, then spectres. It's a bit linear and would work better with a few less spectres and the way e3m2 did it by having a closet open up pinning you down in the corridor. Don't get too e3m2-ey though!!!

With all the mean things out of the way, you probably think I hated the level, but I most certainly did not. Other than what I mentioned, I quite liked it as it's a fairly good map. I enjoyed the theme and thought it was a tough but decently inferno level. All you really need to do is deal with the damaging floor at the start, implement some ammo balance, and mildly tweak the ending.

i'm just really bad at pointing out the good in things. i'm sorry ;~;

anyways, *ahem* "keep up the good work I got faith in ya" c:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh not at all, criticism and playtesting is always necessary. I'll change it up a bit as per your suggestions, and perhaps scrap the super-big baddies entirely (I was designing originally under the impression my map might be way late in the mappack, but that may NOT be the case after all!)

Oooh a demo! Nice!

PainTech.png.0b729787879ddffa37a8721c00cc2b79.png

Updated (4/8/18) : Difficulty settings implemented, tested in Chocolate Doom.

PainTech: Urth_Pain_V2.zip

Inspired by: Various, notably House of Pain.

Music: E3M4

Build time: About 2 weeks

Coop: Starts only.

DM: Single start only.

Description: A short sharp shock.

Demo: UrthPainTechUV.lmp

Edited by Urthar

New update to my map

-Fixed various alignment issues
-Locked the blue skull arena, forcing the player to play the encounter
-Various tweaks at the end zone
-Added a few monsters in the end arena
-Fixed a couple of issues

Hopefully by now difficulty will feel right so that by the next update i'll implement the other settings

caina_v3.zip

Edit: Outdated, see newer post.

Here's a refined version of my map.

- Tightened the size/structure of many of the areas, and made the initial "forest" area a bit more labyrinthine.  This did help make things more tense and exciting, and rather more TWID-ish as well.

- Added a plasma gun.

- Swapped out Barons in favor of more "interesting" creatures.

- The temple area has more to it.

- More traps, more hazard floors.  Bright red floors are hazardous even if they're not actively bleeding (cf. House of Pain).  Glowing Satanic idols are probably best approached with care too.

- The bridges are no longer lifts, instead, there are a couple of stairways out of the blood.  I did this mainly to make it a bit easier to eliminate the moat pinkies for max runs (you can attack them from the stairs where you're closer to an even level with them).

- Lots of other little tweaks and adjustments to item placements/difficulty levels, and general polishing, though I won't be surprised if a few texture misalignments escaped notice.  (Or could only be minimized due to some of the odd shapes used.)

- Texture choices stayed.  I like them that way.

Blood Forest (v2) - 
Most inspired by: Slough of Despair
Build time: ~2 weeks
Music: "Lure" by LewkForce
Co-op: Limited, some added items/health/monsters but untested
DM: Starts, probably sucks
Demo: Included in .ZIP; skill 2 all secrets walkthrough (SPOILERS - although higher skill levels will change things up a little)

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER : updating in new post

Dammit, I would love to apply but there's no way I'm making a map in 1 day..

Looking forward to playing it though :)

4 hours ago, Ducky5544 said:

Dammit, I would love to apply but there's no way I'm making a map in 1 day..

how many days do you think it would take ya friend? there may still be hope!!

40 minutes ago, bonnie said:

how many days do you think it would take ya friend? there may still be hope!!

Does this mean that you're still set on the August 4th deadline? (Yes, I asked this on Discord, but I don't have access to Discord, in case you've already responded.)

If so, what is your plan going forward, as it relates to the alpha release, commenting, revisions, plot, etc. prior to the final submission to idgames?

Damn, deadline was aug. 4th? how'd i miss that? not sure if i can make a map either by that date sadly.

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Damn, deadline was aug. 4th?

@Ducky5544 i mean you guys'll have a few days after that to slip your maps in

and the original deadline was the end of july, so you even got a heckin extension

Here's what I believe to be the final version of Place of Torment: infernelm3.zip

All the changes I can remember:

Increased ammo near the start.

Reduced ammo near the end.

Added a couple enemies that spawn when you raise the bridge to the exit.

Replaced a certain megasphere with a blue armor.

23 hours ago, bonnie said:

@Ducky5544 i mean you guys'll have a few days after that to slip your maps in

and the original deadline was the end of july, so you even got a heckin extension

Well I'd jump in if one of the first maps were available (maps 1-10).

Then i could make a simple short map but seeing as only end game maps are not taken it would take too much time.

I'm not a fast mapper so don't worry.

3 minutes ago, Ducky5544 said:

Well I'd jump in if one of the first maps were available (maps 1-10).

There's no claiming of specific slots. I'll be ordering the maps myself.

Would anyone be interested ATM in me giving your level(s) a test? You can request it here or on Discord. I don't know how long it'll take me to get through multiple requests, but when I have the time I'll try to go through them in roughly the order I receive them in.

Here is version 5 of my map, Pathways of the Tortured Dead, uploaded September 26. That post can be reached here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezsddenbk6l6ijd/pathtord_v5.zip?dl=1

Here is version 3 of my map, Pathways of the Tortured Dead. (I've also updated my July 14 and July 21 posts with the correct download link).

<link removed>

Version 4: <link removed> (uploaded 8/14)

This version has now been tested with Chocolate Doom 3.0.0, with no problems. I haven't checked it with Chocorenderlimits, but per Visplane Explorer, it shouldn't break 100 visplanes or 200 drawsegs, even in the worst areas. The only issue with Chocolate Doom is that the title on the automap still reads "Entryway." The title reads "Pathways of the Tortured Dead" on ZDoom and GZDoom, though. The correct music plays in Chocolate Doom, so that's good. The changes from what I wrote on the July 14 post (anything not mentioned is the same):

Total build time: ~200 hours spread across a month

DM Support: Limited

Coop Support: Limited

Description: This map drew inspiration from Pandemonium and House of Pain and is slightly larger than Pandemonium. It was designed to have some optional paths and multiple areas that all interconnect (sometimes through doors, other times through windows). You'll probably need to watch your back as you go along, because you may find yourself being assailed from multiple sides.

The changes for this version are:

• I reduced the monster count and changed some of the monsters I kept I changed to other monsters (Baron of Hell to Hell Knight, Cacodemon to Imp, Chaingunner to Sergeant, and Pain Elemental to Cacodemon). I didn't change all the monsters like that, just some of them.
    • The new monster counts by difficulty level:
      • ITYTD and HNTR: 82
      • HMP: 115
      • UV and NM: 149
  • I thought the ammo was fairly well balanced for UV, but I took out some of the ammo, in the interest of more skilled players than myself (which isn't exactly hard to find)
  • I removed some of the blocking bodies or moved them to corners where they're relatively out of the way.
    • I kept some of them. The title is Pathways of the "Tortured Dead" so I wanted some dead being tortured.
  • Some of the rooms were increased in size.
    • I increased the size of the marble blood pit and changed the structure of the pathways in it.
      • I also added reasons to go into it, both in terms of items and the fact that you can't just jump to the ledge surrounding it.
    • The teleport room after the berserk pack.
    • The marble skull pile room.
    • The blood curving bridge room.
  • Some additional detailing was added on a few walls (namely some additional texturing).
  • Some floor and ceiling flats were changed.
  • Some textures that were out of alignment have been fixed.

Some of these changes mean 2 of the screenshots in the July 14 post now look different, but overall, the areas represented into those screenshots are basically the same, so I'm not planning to post new screenshots unless someone wants new screenshots as we go into the alpha stage.

The only items that can't be picked up are guns dropped by a few turreted monsters. I don't think that affects the item total, though, so the level is maxable. When I was testing UV (albeit with IDDQD on), the level took ~20 minutes to max.

I still have no demo on UV, so anyone who would like to record one for me would be much appreciated. I may be able to manage a HMP demo, but I doubt I'll be doing much better than that. The bottom line is, elmle was kind enough to record a demo of version 1, but at the moment, I don't have a demo for the current version.

Edited by Pegleg : New version.