Underslaught infernew26.zip

Most inspired by the second lvl

BT: idk

Music: Dark halls

Coop and DM full support

Demo: see the wad

Screenshots: not at the moment

Description: ...

Screenshot_Doom_20180806_213543.png.b5c2304747f195d623efc3b9de136003.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213457.png.3adebec0816dd484a5caa344645b2ba4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213445.png.37c1a6a0f8df800257d2e34f2b26dabe.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_212519.png.c79df78dee06cc12499c3fc2c295426e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213710.png.f4450d746ed5feeb3fd00b8d1c3165fa.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213700.png.c6ea6e8a62d1d1807aacd2db4594cf58.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213639.png.913990bcaead4534cc9e5687b7a9a667.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213629.png.5fca88f27ae63d6b5995e20668047f73.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180806_213609.png.6a151bd2168f9f5ab5835b9f5e1ca971.png

Edited by SilverMiner

1 hour ago, SilverMiner said:

I've just done a map: "Underslaught" infernew26.zip

You may want to consider following the guidelines on the OP.

[map name]: [link to map]

Most inspired by (list levels you drew the most inspiration from if any): ?

Build time: ?

Music (if known): ?

Coop support: [starts only, limited, or full]

DM support: [starts only, limited, or full]

Description (optional): ?

[type of demo, uv-max, casual, etc.]  Demo: [link to demo]

If someone else makes a demo for your map, be sure to edit your post to include it and the author who made the demo.

[screenshot (at least one)]

My map has been updated with difficulty settings. UV has not changed, so the demo should still function properly.

Latest version of my map, wheeled out with yet another UV-Speed demo.

Not much has changed, I've taken the community's feedback in. The only really noticeable change is the ending which I may or may not throw out, depending on the feedback. I feel as if it's too un-Infernoish but a few chaps really wanted me to create an actual ending so there we go.

naza_infernew_v4.zip

On July 22, I posted that I was working on a map entitled "Serpentine Helix." Given other things on my plate at the moment (both related to Doom and the real world), I don't have the time to finish this right now. I'd rather focus on revising my existing map and testing the alpha, whenever it gets released. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone was going through the thread and came across it, and wondering what happened to it.

I've run this by bonnie, so she's OK with me sharing it.

I got curious about where things stood with the various levels and which Inferno maps were used as inspiration. This is what I ended up, based on going through the thread. I don't think I missed anything, but if I did, it wasn't intentional and is easily corrected. The order is based solely on alphabetical order by author.

image.png.484d458a0bf115b67b56db9f634c2259.png

According to bonnie, printz, General Rainbow Bacon, Breezeep, and Kapanyo have all withdrawn from the project, even though they never explicitly said so in the thread. AC, HAK, jerrysheppy, sarge, classicgamer, xvertigox, and xdarkmasterx have also withdrawn (or been removed) from the project, which is why they're not listed even though they did submit maps.

@FelixTheWolf hasn't provided any update since being handed a map slot (despite expressing interest), so it's not clear about Felix.

• @Death Egg If your offer of the unfinished map on 7/12 still stands, if you provide some additional information, someone may be willing to undertake finishing it. Or if you now have the time to finish it yourself, I'm sure you'd be welcome to submit it.
  • I don't know if @bonnie is still planning to finish bioshockfan's map alone or is looking for a team to finish it.

And @dt_, I didn't notice that you drew inspiration from E3M8 when I made a comment that Twin Serpents was finally representing the style of Dis. Sorry about that.

It is interesting to me that we have every map in Inferno represented at least once, except for Hell Keep. Too bad. It would've been nice to get every E3 map represented at least once. The top three specific levels, in terms of author's claiming inspiration from them, were Slough of Despair, Pandemonium, and Limbo.

So, without commenting on the quality or fit to the project, the number of maps is hovering in the mid-20's. That doesn't seem too bad for the entire mapset taking place in various parts of Hell. I think we're closing in on being able to get a first alpha out.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Pegleg said:

I still have no demo on UV, so anyone who would like to record one for me would be much appreciated. I may be able to manage a HMP demo, but I doubt I'll be doing much better than that. The bottom line is, elmle was kind enough to record a demo of version 1, but at the moment, I don't have a demo for the current version.

Here is one for v3 (all kills, no secrets). I checked, just for curiosity's sake, if it's possible to grab those weapons at the end. Also, items aren't included in traditional maxes anyway.

pathlordv3_uvpt_rd.zip

I think the map could be better in some ways, so I'll record a demo for v4 if you want, as it's not too strenuous.

- Would suggest trimming down the amount of combat that is fighting stuff in front of you in hallways (a notable exception is the two HKs later on in the RL/PR path, which are pretty good thanks to the close quarters).

- It feels like there should be something warping behind the player at some point in the SPHOT room (the room containing those two PEs). It's pretty easy to camp the hallway where you enter. 

- The five 'normal secrets' in the map are a lot less interesting than the optional content, all being Wolfenstein-esque pushwalls to small cubbies. I'd suggest entirely removing at least two of the pushwall secrets, devising an alternate way of getting at least one, and then the rest could be pushwalls I suppose. 

- The optional content on the other hand is a lot more compelling in that respect. In fact in my very 1st playthrough I entirely missed the YK wing, since I never had a reason to walk up that particular set of stairs that opens it (rather than any other set of stairs). I think the YK could be marked secret, and the berserk area at the beginning as well, with the player start changed to face the main door instead so that it's less obvious that one should go back there (even as it is now, it's not entirely obvious). 

Edited by rdwpa

Unless the deadline is extended a bit, you can count me out too (if i was ever counted in), when signing up i was unaware of the deadline being so close, so that's my fault.

Otherwise if given some time i may be able to pump out a simple and quick map.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:57 PM, JustCallMeKaito said:

Name: Twin Serpents
Inspired by: E3M3, E3M4, E3M8, E3M9
Build time: 64 Hours
Music: E2M6
Coop support: limited
DM support: limited
Description (optional): An experiment. I was bored.
Demo: None yet.

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114436.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114610.png

Hello!

The map is great! Many dark areas that kept me on my toes.

Played on Hurt Me Plenty and was hard. The good type hard.

A bug: After the ambush, I went to get the invisibility. The long plataform started to go down. With it, a good portion of that sector was down too! The door where i (think) was suposed to go was too high for me to go in.

Besides the bug, great job! Loved it!

Hey pegleg, no worries, am not sure what you mean though, if you are making a map inspired by dis also, I've got no problems with that.  I'd be happy to take a look at death egg's offering if there is still time before release

@rdwpa

Thank you for the demo and for your thoughts about the level. I like some of the suggestions and will look into incorporating them.

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Unless the deadline is extended a bit, you can count me out too (if i was ever counted in), when signing up i was unaware of the deadline being so close, so that's my fault.

Otherwise if given some time i may be able to pump out a simple and quick map.

I didn't include you in the chart because you hadn't submitted a map or shown WIP. It's @bonnie's call, obviously, but since the deadline has slipped a bit anyway, if you can get a map made quickly, she would probably include it. The same goes for @Ducky5544.

Ultimately, bonnie still has her map to finish. There's also still bioshockfan's map and possibly Death Egg's map.

In principle, we could even have a first alpha in mid-August and then a second alpha in September that incorporated the new levels. That, of course, is entirely bonnie's call.

7 minutes ago, dt_ said:

Hey pegleg, no worries, am not sure what you mean though, if you are making a map inspired by dis also, I've got no problems with that.  I'd be happy to take a look at death egg's offering if there is still time before release

When Kaito submitted Twin Serpents, I made the comment that finally, someone made a map inspired by Dis, which I think looks rather nice as a level. At the time, I thought that was the only original E3 level that was not represented. I had missed the fact that your map included homages to Dis. I'm not concerned with multiple being referencing the same level, I was apologizing for missing your allusion to E3M8.

As for @Death Egg, let's see what he has to say.

Is there any other tweaks that i should make to my map? im gonna start implementing difficulty settings soon, but i would like to hear some feedback about the map difficulty and if there's any change that i should make in terms of gameplay

Lair Of Horned God: Download (v.1)
Most inspired by: House Of Pain, Slough of Despair
Build time: 8 days
Music: Silent Zorah - "Untitled" Remix
Coop support: Starts only
DM support: Starts only + weapons
Description: Brings "savegame buffer overrun" error in Vanilla or Chocolate. At this point moderate difficulties not included.

LairOfHornedGod.jpg.fcd03bf4e8259dd2f7f919daafde2b30.jpg

UrtharStillMoreFDAs.zip

(Recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

Underslaught

(Pre-release version posted on Discord at 14:55)

Ammo is very limited at the start of the map, but towards the end there's a bonzana of it. I only played HMP, but the ammount of monsters didn't seem to warrant the ammounts of ammo, but perhaps there's a lot more to kill on UV?

The progression is a little wonky, but since the map is quite small it's not necessarily an issue. The red key is easily missed being red in a red environment, and the exit mechanism is activated by a switch on the other side of the map.

Lair of the Horned God v1

A good looking linear map, with fairly restricted resources that favors a defensive approach. I think this sort of gameplay would work better with a non-linear map, since dying obliges the player to play through the exact same encounters over again, which can get boring.

In continous play, it's probably a non-issue, since the player is likely to be well equipped from the previous map. I'd be tempted to place a green armour near the start to see if that improves pistol starts.

Milano Mash v2

Pretty much nails the Inferno vibe. Everything felt like it could have part of the original E3.

My map was inspired by E3M3... There's no point in doing a demo as it has no enemies yet. As for a name, what about "Mouth of Madness"?

(Hopefully) the final update to Sinner, v5. Got rid of the weird exit and put a more atmospheric iteration in, making it monsterless again because I think atmosphere is more important than putting monsters on the end teleporter. Other than that, the plasma gun is replaced by the chaingun and moved before the trap, and a megasphere replaced a cell pack somewhere where nobody has gone yet (which makes me proud).

Full deathmatch support (with changing environment to prevent camping) and co-op support are here since v2 I think.

If you're wondering where v3 is, there was no v3. It was a joke with Cyberdemons in the end and a type 11 sector.

Sinner v5 - DOWNLOAD LINK

4 hours ago, Death Egg said:

My map was inspired by E3M3... There's no point in doing a demo as it has no enemies yet. As for a name, what about "Mouth of Madness"?

Were you planning to finish the map yourself? Or hand it off to @dt_ to finish?

On Wed Aug 08 2018 at 7:18 PM, Urthar said:

UrtharStillMoreFDAs.zip

(Recorded in PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3 with d1gfxd2_infernew.wad)

Underslaught

(Pre-release version posted on Discord at 14:55)

Ammo is very limited at the start of the map, but towards the end there's a bonzana of it. I only played HMP, but the ammount of monsters didn't seem to warrant the ammounts of ammo, but perhaps there's a lot more to kill on UV?

The progression is a little wonky, but since the map is quite small it's not necessarily an issue. The red key is easily missed being red in a red environment, and the exit mechanism is activated by a switch on the other side of the map.

Lair of the Horned God v1

A good looking linear map, with fairly restricted resources that favors a defensive approach. I think this sort of gameplay would work better with a non-linear map, since dying obliges the player to play through the exact same encounters over again, which can get boring.

In continous play, it's probably a non-issue, since the player is likely to be well equipped from the previous map. I'd be tempted to place a green armour near the start to see if that improves pistol starts.

Milano Mash v2

Pretty much nails the Inferno vibe. Everything felt like it could have part of the original E3.

In the Underslaught, the exit is activated by killing three commander keens being killed by activating three marked switches on the map. So, the switch isn't only one... I gonna fix the key issue and add more difficulty effects. 

Guys, I think it'd be cool (technically) if you'll use Commander keens in your maps!

44 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Guys, I think it'd be cool (technically) if you'll use Commander keens in your maps!

I don't. Absolutely no nazis or commander keens in any map. No exceptions.

PSA for everybody, turns out that you need at least 4 DM starts in your maps. If you don't already have enough, I'll add them in myself. Otherwise, try to include at least 4 in your next update.

edit:

17 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

the commanders are not seen by player and are in non-playable area.

@SilverMiner No exceptions. Please remove them.

Edited by bonnie

In the Underslaught, the exit is activated by killing three commander keens being killed by activating three marked switches on the map. So, the switch isn't only one...

Admittedly, I haven't looked at the way you have your map structured, but let's say you have a wall around your exit that rises after the last Keen is dead (like in Map 32). I think you could accomplish something similar (without Keens) by placing three bars behind your exit-concealing wall (make sure they touch your exit-concealing wall). As long as those bars have not lowered/risen, you won't be able to open the exit-concealing wall. Have one bar tagged with each of the marked switches, so that as you hit the switches, each bar will lower/raise. Then, have a walkover switch (set to WR and either a stay open door or raise floor to nearest ceiling) that raises the exit-concealing wall. You could put them close to each switch, so that regardless of the order you hit the switches, you will still trigger the wall to open. Or you could put the walkover line somewhere on the approach to the exit concealing wall. Voila! Same effect with three switches, but no Keens.

54 minutes ago, bonnie said:

You may want to add this to the OP under the rules. It's rather late in the game and hasn't been an issue until now, but still, better late than never.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

Since there has been some discussion about how authentically tailored these maps are to the doom 1 inferno, how do you feel about doom 2 enemies like revenants, hell knights, arch-viles, ect. ?

2 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Since there has been some discussion about how authentically tailored these maps are to the doom 1 inferno, how do you feel about doom 2 enemies like revenants, hell knights, arch-viles, ect. ?

From the first post

The catch? It'll be in Doom II. You'll have access to the SSG along with all the different Doom 2 enemies. c:

Be careful though!! Too many Doom II enemies and such may start to pollute the Episode 3-vibe

@DerFurer'sFace @Ducky5544

bonnie mentioned on Discord last night that there would likely be a delay, owing to her two maps not being finished and there being at least a dozen maps that still need to be played and critiqued.

If you want to make a map for this project, I think you'll be able to do so. (DFF, I think you're doing so already, but Ducky, I wanted you to know about it.)

Yeah thanks for the heads up, i'm already halfway through mine, taking some heavy E3M5 inspiration. 

Spoiler

image.png.d79461d1e264655eaf4d89e0235e4999.png