Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
qdash

Let's talk about modification posibilites in Doom Eternal!

Good editor(SnapMap with better tools or something) in Doom is still important thing?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

Very few people talking about mods, but I think it still very important feature. Because it brings creativity and popularity to games - just look at TES or Fallout. Too bad Bethesda closed Doom '16 to modifications and SnapMap was isn't so good to created something serious. But I think now it's time to change this mistake. What do you think about it?

It depends on who decides. The smart people learn from the past and see that moddable games can become a constant revenue stream for many years and still hold value after 20 years or more.

The average suit only sees the immediate revenue in the coming 3 or 4 months and with this attitude moddability is a redundant expense better saved.

If they make it as moddable as the original Doom, they'll receive praise from pretty much everyone, I'd say purists even. I don't see why they'd let this chance slip other than the fact that they can't really make money off of mods - I'd say there's a slight chance that they've learned from SnapMap critiques and that there's a chance they'll open the doors to modding. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

You may see it that way. I may see it that way, but try to talk common sense to a business type whose most important thing is the next quarterly report. If that lists a few $100000 spent on making the game moddable they'd be in for a rough ride because he doesn't deal with gamers but with other business types. I do not think it's a coincidence that the most moddable games always have been made by indies or used an engine made to be moddable by indies.

I saw some kind of ineresting stuff made with snapmap, even a sort of shooter/moba hybrid, meaning the editor can be powerful, even if maybe not so much flexible.

I think a lot of issues come from having the possibility to freely extrude your rooms/rocks/whatever and having a simple way of texture mapping them and also create something with a reasonable polycount. 

It can be frustrating for someone who doesn't really want to delve in the pain of UVmapping to deal with that if they don't want to. We are in 2018, it's not classic doom and placing textures on a real 3d object can he a massive pain (especially with the seams and so on). The editor should balance flexibity and modification power with user friendliness, something a bit difficult to do.

I do enjoy my occasional 3d modelling and sculpting (sculpting more than modelling) but I don't enjoy at all UVmapping. I struggle to understand the logic and where to place seams and so on, and most of my textured stuff looks bad. I would like for example a software who will permit me to just paint textures on a 3d model, without having to think about unwrapping. But then, even if there are some inbuilt texture functions in programs, I don't have the power of photoshop or GIMP at my disposal. 

So with so many technical limitations, we can't really expect a map editor to be a 3d modelling tool, a photoshop like tool, a scripting and logic tool all at the same time. Unless then it will allow users to import their own room design (already textured) into the editor who will just handle the logic. But honestly how many people will be able to 3d model everything from scrap? I know they're quite good mappers out there, who happens to be also 3d modelers and artists, but if your average joe want to do something with a tool like that, he will have some serious issues. 

I'd like to see some degree of moddability, maybe then people can make Crack-Life Doom Edition :d

At the very least, I wish to see brushes in the next game. I'd love to see SnapMap become more like TrenchBroom. If they include an SDK it would be ideal...

Am I the only one who doesn't care about modding? I couldn't care less about how 'moddable' DOOM Eternal is. Just give me a great SP campaign.

2 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about modding? I couldn't care less about how 'moddable' DOOM Eternal is. Just give me a great SP campaign.

Yes.  If you don't want ot use it that is fine.  But modding in Doom is a big part of classic.

Key word here is 'classic'. New DOOM games will never do what the original ones can in terms of modding. People will either complain that it's not exactly what they wanted or won't create anything because it's too difficult.

To be fair Doom 3 got a reasonable amount of mods and it's arguably the weakest Doom entry in recent years, and RAGE was utterly mediocre no surprise nobody likes to make mods for it.

4 hours ago, Touchdown said:

New DOOM games will never do what the original ones can in terms of modding. People will either complain that it's not exactly what they wanted or won't create anything because it's too difficult.

Good point. But due to Bethesdas positive experiences with modding (thinking of Fallout and TES) I still think better modding support is likely.