Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

The Find That Game You've Been Trying To Find For Years Thread

I'm making this thread with the intent of trying to find some games I've been trying to find for years, and let other people post here to try and find their game. So here is how this works.

For Askers:

Post in the thread, list EVERYTHING you can possibly remember in the game. (Game system it was on, gameplay, game locations, characters, ect.) it doesn't matter how old or new the game is.

For Answer Givers:

Quote their post, tell them the name, and link to a gameplay video and place to LEGALLY buy the game if possible.

No Warez\Abandonware! When you tell them what game it is, please don't link to Warez\Abandonware, It's not allowed on Doomworld, and I don't want any of that in this thread.

Ask away! :D

Edited by V0idH0und

With that out of the way, I would like to be the first asker. The game I am trying to find the name of is a really old original xbox game I played on a demo disc back in the day. I remember you playing some dude with an orange backpack. And sneaking into some place with a bunch of guards. (police station or some complex maybe?) Any help would be appreciated. :D

1 hour ago, V0idH0und said:

With that out of the way, I would like to be the first asker. The game I am trying to find the name of is a really old original xbox game I played on a demo disc back in the day. I remember you playing some dude with an orange backpack. And sneaking into some place with a bunch of guards. (police station or some complex maybe?) Any help would be appreciated. :D

The Bourne conspiracy?

12 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

What kinda game was it? What was it about?

It was third person, it had stealth game elements. (Not Splinter Cell. :D ) I know you had to sneak into this Police Station\Complex place for some reason. other than that, I really don't remember.

My first experience playing Doom was through a shareware disc loaned to me that contained a whole bunch of obscure PC games. One game on that disc I remember was a lot like Castle Master for DOS. A pseudo-3D first-person game where you explored a fantasy castle, solved some puzzles, and then at the end, you get a laser gun that you use to kill monsters and deactivate a force barrier blocking an exit. I'm pretty sure the game was called House of Hell (no relation to the Steam game). I've never been able to confirm that this game actually exists. Never seen so much as a screenshot for it anywhere. 

14 minutes ago, Ajora said:

My first experience playing Doom was through a shareware disc loaned to me that contained a whole bunch of obscure PC games. One game on that disc I remember was a lot like Castle Master for DOS. A pseudo-3D first-person game where you explored a fantasy castle, solved some puzzles, and then at the end, you get a laser gun that you use to kill monsters and deactivate a force barrier blocking an exit. I'm pretty sure the game was called House of Hell (no relation to the Steam game). I've never been able to confirm that this game actually exists. Never seen so much as a screenshot for it anywhere. 

I googled it and couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking though. I recommend you check the internet archive's collection of old shareware  and freeware DOS games. https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games It might be there. :D EDIT: And yes, it's only Shareware and Freeware.

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

Believe me, I've looked (and looked, and looked). 

I'll let you know if I find anything.

43 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Its not this game?

Game #1

- It was an Atari 2600 game.

- The perspective was sort of top-down, with the game area starting with a green background (presumably meant to be grass and hedges) and different screens you could flip between (i.e. if you ran off the edge of a screen on the left, you'd appear on the right side of a new screen, that sort of layout).

- The protagonist was a knight (well, possibly a ninja or something, but a humanoid with a sword at any rate--we're talking Atari 2600 graphics here) colored white and the one enemy I encountered was a palette swap of the player sprite, in black.

- I would have played it sometime in 1985 or 1986 probably, so could have been released at just about any point in the system's run.

- The obvious candidate is Adventure, but I really don't think that was it unless I'm seriously misremembering some of the details (possible, I was pretty young at the time).  It was roughly that style of game though, I think, as far as theme and traversing the world was concerned.

Game #2

- It was a Windows game, probably targeting 95/98.

- It was a Q-Bert clone.

- The protagonist was an alien.

- One of the enemies was called "Secret Agent Roswell Coverup" or something very similar, and was a Man In Black sort of guy who would undo your progress by literally covering up tiles with sheets in their original color.

- It was shareware, and would have been from either a compilation disc or possibly an early download website like the long-defunct Gamer's Inn.  I'm pretty sure it was one of those dying-era-of-shareware games where what you downloaded was the full game but locked so that you had to enter a registration code to actually access stuff past a certain point.

- I probably played this around 1998-2000 but I'm not exact on that.

Game #3

- It was a Commodore 64 game.

- It was a text adventure.

- It was on one of the Loadstar disk compilations.  I have no idea if it was exclusive to Loadstar or not; if it was, I'd like to know the issue number it was on.

- The theme was a haunted house that you were trapped in and trying to escape.

- If you went into the closet upstairs, you'd meet a skeleton that would instakill you by burning a hole through you with its flaming eyes.  There were some other rather "unfair" death endings as well I think.

- There was a muttering old man in one of the rooms.  He wasn't hostile, but if you went into that room while carrying the witch's broom, the broom would flip out and kill him (you had no control over this, beyond not carrying the broom into that room).  I think the stuff he muttered was meant to be some sort of password or clue how to escape the house, but I never solved the game so I'm not sure, it was just "DOOM DESPAIR AND GRIEF" and stuff like that.

- Edit: Since Loadstar apparently went on for way longer than I realized, we can narrow it down some by saying it had to have been from prior to 1991 since that was about the time my Commodore 64 was replaced with a PC and the floppies I had for it were probably from even earlier than that.

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER

27 minutes ago, Ajora said:

No, it's not House of the Dead. It's a game from maybe 1991 and looks and plays similarly to this one:

lel i dont know now :"v

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Game #3

- It was a Commodore 64 game.

- It was a text adventure.

- It was on one of the Loadstar disk compilations.  I have no idea if it was exclusive to Loadstar or not; if it was, I'd like to know the issue number it was on.

- The theme was a haunted house that you were trapped in and trying to escape.

- If you went into the closet upstairs, you'd meet a skeleton that would instakill you by burning a hole through you with its flaming eyes.  There were some other rather "unfair" death endings as well I think.

- There was a muttering old man in one of the rooms.  He wasn't hostile, but if you went into that room while carrying the witch's broom, the broom would flip out and kill him (you had no control over this, beyond not carrying the broom into that room).  I think the stuff he muttered was meant to be some sort of password or clue how to escape the house, but I never solved the game so I'm not sure, it was just "DOOM DESPAIR AND GRIEF" and stuff like that.

- Edit: Since Loadstar apparently went on for way longer than I realized, we can narrow it down some by saying it had to have been from prior to 1991 since that was about the time my Commodore 64 was replaced with a PC and the floppies I had for it were probably from even earlier than that.

@ETTiNGRiNDER

I know this isn't it at all, but it kinda sounds like maniac mansion. (Kinda) EDIT: Is it The Haunted House? here are some screenshots.image.png.e26213da7a47b09baaf7fcfc0324c288.pngimage.png.f6ddc06d7e1c756ad5d0d7e7e96908e4.png

I think that was on the disk in Loadstar #022

Edited by V0idH0und

I remember this game, it kinda felt like it was from the early 2000's, it was a multiplayer shooter where you played as tiny blue people fighting in giant houses.

I have some more forgotten games, but i'll edit them in later.

9 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

@V0idH0und too bad the screenshots aren't of any more distinctive rooms, but that is very likely the one.  Thanks!

No problem. Those were the only ones I could find. :D

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

No, it's not House of the Dead. It's a game from maybe 1991 and looks and plays similarly to this one:

I'm so stumped right now. Do you have any clue on what the developers name might have been?

34 minutes ago, elarmadillo3 said:

I remember this game, it kinda felt like it was from the early 2000's, it was a multiplayer shooter where you played as tiny blue people fighting in giant houses. 

I have some more forgotten games, but i'll edit them in later.

Was it a FPS, 3rd person, or Top Down?

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

Was it FPS, 3rd person, or Top Down?

Edited by V0idH0und

It's in first-person much like Castle Master is. The shooting only comes near the end when you get the laser gun. 

I used to have some weird bootleg collection of racing games with mis-titled names on the discs, one of them said Micro Machines but it was actually Re-Volt and stuff like that. I remember playing a lot of one the games, it was like some flying racing game, the ships looked like they were from F-Zero or something but it was all 3D (Like early 2000s 3D). That's probably not much to go on but if you somehow know what game it is It would be fun just to play it again for the nostalgia ;)

This probably isn't enough details to go on, but it was a simple maze game for either DOS or Windows 95, where you controlled a ball with shading to make it look 3D, and upon meeting certain conditions prison bars would be removed from a hole leading to the next level. It had a turquoisey color scheme, but I think it might have changed as you progressed, with purple being one of the other colors.

2 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

This probably isn't enough details to go on, but it was a simple maze game for either DOS or Windows 95, where you controlled a ball with shading to make it look 3D, and upon meeting certain conditions prison bars would be removed from a hole leading to the next level. It had a turquoisey color scheme, but I think it might have changed as you progressed, with purple being one of the other colors.

Kinda sounds like MIDI Maze. But that might not be it. But it doesn't really look 3D so...

6 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

It was a top-down view kind of maze, like Pac-Man.

Do you remember what year you played it in?

The closest thing I have is that I associate it with the first house I lived in, which only narrows it down to somewhere from '94 to '99.