Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevieWolfe

DOOM Eternal Reveal After-Thread

I was damn impressed for the most part.  I love the upscale nature of combat, less dependent on area battles (possibly due to beneficial tweaks for the games AI and engine overall), and the new ways verticality is implemented in combat.  I really love the return to classic designs for former humans and the classic plasma rifle, the map designs looked very lush and seem to have a really decent flow to them, area to area.  Not as clunky as  Doom 2016's maps felt, at least to me.  I do like the idea of expanding upon Doom's new lore and all that, but I'm a nerd for backstory.

What I didn't like is that there seems to be a "lives" mechanic this time around.  Now whoever did the gameplay could've been using an arcade mode as we've gotten with Doom 2016, but if not and it's implemented in the full-on campaign this is not something I like.  I don't think being limited to an arbitrary number of lives or whatever is beneficial for a game like Doom especially when it essentially uses a checkpoint system this time around.  It just seems like a redundant impedance.  I do hope they also stick to the idea of people invading your game being completely optional.  It would really suck to be essentially griefed to death by expert FPS players in your first campaign playthrough if you're not really that good with shooter games.  I also hope this thing ships a lot more stable than Doom 2016 did, because unfortunately, it was a buggy mess for a lot of people including me for a while after it came out.  But these are all pretty minor things at this point that will more than likely get more fleshed out over time.  

So what did everyone else think? 

You can't just have a checkpoints with no lives system. The game would be too easy if you had unlimited lives with checkpoints. I don't like how you have a compass showing you where to go this time around.

Amazing. Simply amazing. They seem to have kept all the good stuff from Doom 2016 and added lots of extra things.

The Dark Souls-esque invasions are something I'm glad are optional, since they seemed a bit......out of place? (was the EXTRA LIFE connected to that?) I liked the grappling hook addition to the SUPER SHOTGUN of all things. I liked the new enemies, especially with the Arachnotrons walking on walls and ceilings like spiders. It also seems like they're looking to add some Heretic/Hexen/Quake-inspired enemies into the mix; would be interesting if they planned on adding those to the 'Doom Universe' that they seem to want to create. (I also noticed a Heretic exit level symbol in one of the levels) I also liked how it seemed the levels seemed more open-ended or traditional, instead of just being one arena fight into the next like what Doom 2016 largely had.

The one thing I really hope they do right this time is add a proper custom map editor, instead of the restrictive nonsense of Doom 2016. Doom 2016/Doom ETERNAL gameplay deserves some dedicated mappers and creators adding things to it, and it'd be nice to have a custom creation community much like what Ultimate Doom/Doom II have enjoyed for years, since if DOOM Eternal turns out to be good, then it deserves years of people making their own stuff out of it!

I am looking forward to playing DOOM Eternal all the more now for having seen the gameplay reveal. I just hope my PC is either upgraded by then, or my current one can handle it.

the plasma rifle i love that, and the reaction of the people in phobos

but now, how to be the timeline?, you fight first in earth?, phobos?, hell?,

and samuel hayden?

Phobos seems to be later in the game since he has his sword back. Maybe it's the entry point to the pre Argent D Nur world they've shown in the middle of the presentation. 

4 minutes ago, igg said:

Phobos seems to be later in the game since he has his sword back. Maybe it's the entry point to the pre Argent D Nur world they've shown in the middle of the presentation. 

Don't count on it, last game e3 trailer ended with the cyberdemon waaay earlier where he actually appeared in the actual game, dunno i think it looks a bit early into the game since there were a lot of low tier monsters

- satisfying Pain Elemental glory kill.

- "space" environment was awesome.

- Archvile seems badass.

I've just found one curious thing.

Not that long ago I've made some keys for t People's Doom.

Spoiler

xnKJCfK.png

Now look at this:

Spoiler

QFP5TJX.png

Find the difference and tell me HOW.

The classic Mancubus and former humans were some of the highlights that really made my day as I really hated the way DOOM '16 handled the former humans for the most part.

Man, that gameplay was sweet. As Suitepee mentioned, the grapling hook was the best thing revealed for me. I barely used the Super Shotgun in Doom 2016 but now it has this incredible add-on that totally makes me want to use it.

I loved the design of the Plasma Gun going back to the original. The zombies also look nice and I didn't care much for the health packs going back too, but I truly disliked the Mancubi "new" design. Personally, I loved them the most in Doom 2016, with the addition of the Cyber-Mancubus and that awesome level where we see one of them on an operation table. And now reverting to the original design feels nostalgic, but also like they denied one of the things I liked the most about Doom 2016.

About the Extra Life, maybe it simply works like the Saving Throw rune in Doom 2016. You know, instead of dying you get a second chance in slow motion before reverting to the checkpoint. I'm just speculating, of course.

Igg mentioned the Doom Slayer having the sword back in Phobos. However, I'd like to point out that the sword we saw today has a VERY different design than The Crucible we got to know in the last game. Maybe it's just a design change, but I like to believe that scientists somehow replicated the sword and gave the new one to the Doomguy. So maybe by the end of the game we can have a really cool sword fight against Samuel? One can hope, right hahaha

Now, I noticed a few things that I'd like to share: the Ballistae is clearly just a rebrand of the Gauss Cannon, and it even shares ammo with the Plasma Gun. One thing that I liked is that it still costs 15 Cells to fire but now it shows how many shots you can fire instead of how many Cells you have, for those who can't do quick math like that hahaha

Also, much like Glory Kills always give health and Chainsaw kills always give ammo, did you guys notice that whenever you set an enemy on fire with the shoulder mounted flamethrower and shoot them, Armor pops out? It happens twice in the gameplay reveal.

An article confirmed the Extra Life is just to resurect you on the spot if you die, instead of just returning to a checkpoint. This was done to help lesser experienced players and I'm cool with it. I'll assume it won't be available on UV/NM/UN.

I was very impressed with everything in the reveal. Looks like Doom Eternal is going to be bigger and better! I knew Marty Stratton was going to deliver. I believed!

Everything is perfect, EXCEPT for the plasma gun sound. It's still just the lame 'pew pew' that Doom 2016 had for it's plasma gun, and with the new overhalled look of it in Doom Eternal it feels weird still having that lame sound for when it's firing.

Only complaint I can think of is that arachnotron design does nothing for me. It's too "compact" looking and does not have the creepy factor it had in Doom2 with its weird noises. And why do all the enemies shoot somekind of energy balls?

The invaders are optional, and thank god. What a horrible thing it would be to ruin a 'single player campaign' experience by having it as otherwise default, that invaders feature. Yuck. Good news though.... They confirmed it in the panel itself, 'totally

up to you if you want to invade or be invaded or not'. Its either a totally new standalone game mode or a toggle option and i truly hope and believe the life system

is just for Invasion, it makes sense since those 2 players spawned with like 4 lives each.

13 hours ago, LANEGRACABRA said:

I really love the idea of them building a DOOM Universe. This game looks like legit FPS Diablo (in the good way!)

Damn, how many other people have noticed the diablo feel and impact in the storyline and the demons/locale looks, and most of all the demon/angel/'nephilim'humans overarcing theme? Crazy, so its not just me then huh?? :) 

Would explain why i only play doom and diablo, i guess.

I never got the Diablo vibe.  Demons in Diablo keep telling the player "You will NEVER defeat me!"  "I taste your fear!"  "Youll Never reach the important location!" "Blah blah blah." butterfly lady.  The dialog in D3 is so bad.  Lets hope that there isn't any bad dialog in DE.  

15 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

Everything is perfect, EXCEPT for the plasma gun sound. It's still just the lame 'pew pew' that Doom 2016 had for it's plasma gun, and with the new overhalled look of it in Doom Eternal it feels weird still having that lame sound for when it's firing.

Apparently Mick Gordon said the audio balancing was off in the video.

I really like the updated Plasma Gun design, though I wish the firing animation had a bit more, oomph.

Edited by Tuskin38