Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Doom Eternal mod support is a long term goal

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-mod-support-is-a-long-term-target//

"During a Q&A session following the reveal, game director Marty Stratton said there was "no guarantee" that the game would ever support mods, but added that the studio has spent time making the "game code more flexible", and that mod support is a "long-term initiative".

“We had made some technical decisions way back that just pushed us in a different direction than mods. We have spent the last several years making technical decisions that get us back towards being able to do mods," he said.

Mod support would not be "right around the corner", but it's "important" to both him and other senior staff, he said."

This makes me happy.

I might not be able to sink my teeth in it like I did for Classic Doom because I am busy with 3D modeling but I am very interested in this. I might make some 3D models for the game though.

Long-term might also mean mod support is not coming to Doom Eternal but to the game after that. It sounds like making a modern game moddable is a heck of a lot of work.

Also, perhaps Bethesda wants to use the engine themselves and they have a very good modding policy. I imagine moddability would be one of their requirements. 

I don't blame them, it's a very good engine.

3 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Long-term might also mean mod support is not coming to Doom Eternal but to the game after that. It sounds like making a modern game moddable is a heck of a lot of work.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Unless they might release a stripped down Doom Eternal game with assets but no campaign of multiplayer (Halo 5 Forge, anyone?) for modding purposes.

And before Doom 2016 release he said that snapmap is in no way a substitution for modding and those who want to dive deep into tech would have this opportunity via id studio I guess. Let's hope idtech7 isn't just for more geometry and texturing technics but also a modding wellcome tech)

I dream of the day that Modding and Level building for the new Doom is just as easy and flexible as using Slade/Doombulider.  Maybe in 50 years.  But seriously could you imagine?

Summary: "it won't be there at release time and we can't promise it'll ever be there, but we'd like to"

And honestly I interpret that more as a "maybe for Doom 6?" than as a "maybe for a Doom 5 patch?".

On 8/11/2018 at 5:42 PM, Zemini said:

I dream of the day that Modding and Level building for the new Doom is just as easy and flexible as using Slade/Doombulider.  Maybe in 50 years.  But seriously could you imagine?

Intuitive AI could act as some kind of ultimate assistant who can flesh out your ideas through specific conversational exchanges. I don't think something that flexible is going to happen next year, but maybe a decade after that or a bit longer.