Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

Exomoon Megawad [Director's Cut Release 3]

Oh, I thought that will be a standalone release of the soundtrack. Well, about time I play this thing then..

Fdas for the rest of the wad: exomoon_gaspe_fdas_2.zip

MAP15: Probably I wasn't brave enough to jump down or to find a safer place so instead I stayed in the open with yet again far snipers all around.

MAP16: very rough start in the first area and with low ammo but that gets better after you drop down. Maybe the spiderdemon that killed me wasn't supposed

to wake up before you drop down after the yellow bars in the starting area? I don't it's a good idea to have that kind of monster to roam around in a such high place. And they don't make a have a distinct sound so they can easily take you by surprise, which isn't a problem per se but they kill you in one shot, unless you want to troll the players :P

MAP18: I'm surprised that I actually finished this, after some tries at the start to understand how and where to move in the level. The cyberdemons were really scary, you don't have weapons and I wasn't sure about their teleports. It's a more generous level but it's a good thing since the trip is long. Maybe the only moment that could be revised is the north-west trap with the 3 archviles. The area after the blue door where you reveal the closet of spiderdemons was a nice panic inducing moment, I was able to kill the arch-vile before I got there but I would remove it, there's more than enough stuff going on there.

MAP19: The movements are awkward here, all around you have lots of 90 degrees angles and impassable lines.

MAP20: Making custom bosses interesting is hard. At first I didn't understand what was shooting all those fireballs and it's hard to notice that you can pick them up. But to do that you have to be close to the boss and then it has more chances to hit you, while the spheres give you 1 bonus health. Then the arena isn't a full circle, or a place with more freedom of movement and some obstacles to use as repair, and it can happen that the boss lays some spheres but after they start to shoot you can't get close anymore. I think that the last arena should be redesigned.

The ending was nice, very "Monti-esque" :P Also I noticed that the arachnorbs damage you almost instantly with melee when you touch them, it sucks when you happen to get stuck on them while you are running around in the more chaotic fights.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:40 AM, elend said:

Oh, I thought that will be a standalone release of the soundtrack. Well, about time I play this thing then..

Hope you enjoy the wad, but if you don't want to play, I've created a bandcamp page so you can download the mp3's :D

https://deadwing1.bandcamp.com/releases

55 minutes ago, gaspe said:

Fdas for the rest of the wad: exomoon_gaspe_fdas_2.zip

MAP15: Probably I wasn't brave enough to jump down or to find a safer place so instead I stayed in the open with yet again far snipers all around.

MAP16: very rough start in the first area and with low ammo but that gets better after you drop down. Maybe the spiderdemon that killed me wasn't supposed

to wake up before you drop down after the yellow bars in the starting area? I don't it's a good idea to have that kind of monster to roam around in a such high place. And they don't make a have a distinct sound so they can easily take you by surprise, which isn't a problem per se but they kill you in one shot, unless you want to troll the players :P

MAP18: I'm surprised that I actually finished this, after some tries at the start to understand how and where to move in the level. The cyberdemons were really scary, you don't have weapons and I wasn't sure about their teleports. It's a more generous level but it's a good thing since the trip is long. Maybe the only moment that could be revised is the north-west trap with the 3 archviles. The area after the blue door where you reveal the closet of spiderdemons was a nice panic inducing moment, I was able to kill the arch-vile before I got there but I would remove it, there's more than enough stuff going on there.

MAP19: The movements are awkward here, all around you have lots of 90 degrees angles and impassable lines.

MAP20: Making custom bosses interesting is hard. At first I didn't understand what was shooting all those fireballs and it's hard to notice that you can pick them up. But to do that you have to be close to the boss and then it has more chances to hit you, while the spheres give you 1 bonus health. Then the arena isn't a full circle, or a place with more freedom of movement and some obstacles to use as repair, and it can happen that the boss lays some spheres but after they start to shoot you can't get close anymore. I think that the last arena should be redesigned.

The ending was nice, very "Monti-esque" :P Also I noticed that the arachnorbs damage you almost instantly with melee when you touch them, it sucks when you happen to get stuck on them while you are running around in the more chaotic fights.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, gaspe! I'll watch the remaining fda's. There's still 5 levels to watch from the previous batch haha, but I've found some bugs and small fixes that might reduce hitscan sniping from far away places a bit. Still, I hope the experience was good even with some rough edges or not-so appealing design decisions >.<

- I thought I've fixed the wrongly woken up flying spiderdemon on map 16 and the lonely arch-ville on map 18, but ugh, I guess it hasn't worked >.<

- I tried to allow some more movement freedom on map 19 by adding some diagonal impassible lines on the corners (but short enough so the player doesn't fall into the void), but I guess that wasn't enough, not sure what I'll do here to allow some more freedom, though. I guess, in the end, that wasn't a very good concept to begin with...

- About the final boss, if the player takes too much to act, there's indeed a chance to create a non-return scenery haha I think it'll reduce the fire rate of the spheres a bit, so it is easier to pick-up them and reduce the chaos. I thought about adding cover, but the spheres continue to fire even if the player is hidden, and then I don't want the player to cover-shoot the boss, which would be too easy. Also, if I add a circular arena, then the boss can be defeated simply by circular-strafing, which was the original layout of the arena, so in the end I have to go with a irregular shaped-arena without too much space...

- I'll fix the arachnorbs melee behavior :P

Thank you very much, kind sir! I will play it, I just don't have the time at the moment. Still trying to squeeze every free minute into my map. :p

Finished Map03 and Map04 because I was too busy last week. The Lost Souls don't have swag anymore ;P

Just want to make sure s a couple of things:

- Are the Demons quicker than normal Demons?

- Arachnorbs can infight with Arachnotrons.

Map03:

I went to the Yellow Skull place without good weapons (since updated, I have to idclev instead of loading the game), and found out the SSG is behind the wall. It's kind of rough... Then later I discovered there are many SSG throughout the map... I just happened to go to the "wrong" place at the begnning.

Map04:

Nice scene and I enjoy walking on the walkways surrounded by a lot of water. That particular Cyberdemon fight is, well, not very friendly, but having challenge is good :D

It seems the exits for Map03 and Map04 are not so obvious. At least Map03 features a rather classic exit door, but it seems nothing on Map04. The reason I mentioned this is that assume someone blindly play through the map and exit accidentally without saving quite some time. If the player wants to go back and explore, that would be a little bit annoying. Basically this is my opinion, so don't treat this as a negative way. The maps are very enjoyable and beautifully looking.

Yes and yes! Just bought it as well. It still amazes me, how much quality content Doomworld churns out for free, where other people have to create a kickstarter for it.

Congrats on the release! Can't wait to play the final version. (Wish I was able to give more feedback about the beta version, but burnout and some interesting irl issues kept me from revisiting. Oh well, hopefully what I did send you helped out!)

14 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Finished Map03 and Map04 because I was too busy last week. The Lost Souls don't have swag anymore ;P

Just want to make sure s a couple of things:

- Are the Demons quicker than normal Demons?

- Arachnorbs can infight with Arachnotrons.

Map03:

I went to the Yellow Skull place without good weapons (since updated, I have to idclev instead of loading the game), and found out the SSG is behind the wall. It's kind of rough... Then later I discovered there are many SSG throughout the map... I just happened to go to the "wrong" place at the begnning.

Map04:

Nice scene and I enjoy walking on the walkways surrounded by a lot of water. That particular Cyberdemon fight is, well, not very friendly, but having challenge is good :D

It seems the exits for Map03 and Map04 are not so obvious. At least Map03 features a rather classic exit door, but it seems nothing on Map04. The reason I mentioned this is that assume someone blindly play through the map and exit accidentally without saving quite some time. If the player wants to go back and explore, that would be a little bit annoying. Basically this is my opinion, so don't treat this as a negative way. The maps are very enjoyable and beautifully looking.

Oh, I see what do you mean now! I think I'll add exit sign's so it's more obvious that the level ends there! Let me know if you find any another exit too much unclear. The Demons here are slighty faster indeed, but has less HP to compensate the loss. About the in-fighting, I guess there's not much I can do here, AFAIK, the in-fighting mechanic is hardcoded in dehacked >.<

Also, It shouldn't take too much to get an SSG on map 3. I think I'll add a 4th one further on the map. Glad the cyberdemon on map 4 worked well :D

13 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Awesome. I love when people put their Doom soundtracks up for download. Have some $, good sir.

10 hours ago, elend said:

Yes and yes! Just bought it as well. It still amazes me, how much quality content Doomworld churns out for free, where other people have to create a kickstarter for it.

OMG, thanks a lot guys!! I wasn't expecting that at all haha D:
I'm glad you guys enjoyed the soundtrack!

9 hours ago, NuclearPotato said:

Congrats on the release! Can't wait to play the final version. (Wish I was able to give more feedback about the beta version, but burnout and some interesting irl issues kept me from revisiting. Oh well, hopefully what I did send you helped out!)

Thanks man! Yeah, I know how real life issues can be annoying >.<

Edited by Deadwing

@Deadwing

Hmm, I understand since the Arachnorbs replace the Cacodemon and they are literally a reskin Caco. Talking about that SSG on Map03, it's basically sarcastic about my bad luck, not talking about bad design or anything.

After finishing Map05 and Map06, I know that you use the classic D2 Map01 exit door for the most part, so I think this consistency can make this "issue" less a problem, but Map04 includes a fight after this classic door, so it would make someone (like me!) forgot that you're going to exit the level. (Glad that I went back and check because I totally forgot that door exists. I don't want to insult anybody because of my own stupidity :D) Therefore, I would say putting a exit sign next to the linedef for the exit would be a good indicator in my opinion, and I guess you can make it stylish to make it fit the environment.

Yeah, some maps (also late ones) includes some fighting even after reaching the exit door >.>
Thinking now, you aren't the first person to relate this too, so in the next release I'll make things more clear regarding that! 

So I was gone on vacation for two weeks, and now that I'm back at work I've got a ton of paperwork to catch up on. I've stayed late the past two nights, and have put the Exomoon soundtrack on loop on Google Play. I'm doing the third time through, and I gotta say it makes for fantastic background music while you work.

Awesome! :D

I also do that sometimes while I'm on work, I guess instrumental tracks like these helps giving more focus.

Meanwhile, while watching the FDA's, I'm glad no major bug has been found so far. Still, found more than 50 really smaller things to fix lol, and I still have to watch the last 6 levels from gaspe's FDA's, but it has been really hard to find time to do it, though :/ Hopefully next week I'll release a 1.6 version

Edited by Deadwing

Finished Map07 through Map10. Bought the soundtrack, but I didn't pay too much. I hope you don't mind. It's sad I recorded my gameplay in Chinese commentary. Probably I should have used English.

I feel the exits are quite obvious on these maps, so for now, it comes down to the first few maps only.

Map07:

The 3-Cyberdemon fight is sort of unexpected. The outside transition from ancient ruins to tundra style maps are really good. I appreciate that effort.

Map09:

The Cyberdemon fight is at a semi-awkward place, and I feel this theme will continue throughout the mapset ;P  Again, the final scene when the player emerging to the outside got me. I really like that feeling.

Map10:

This is a rather unique designed map in my opinion. I usually don't like individual places set in a non linear way, but there are plenty of directions on the map, and hints next to the teleporters are very good for navigation while playing blind. That 3-Arch-vile trap in the central hub area got me, quite surprising to be honest.

I feel there are too many normal Armors on Map09 and Map10. Due to the 33% absorption rate, I guess the player doesn't even have enough health supply to exhaust them, and you're too generous handing out BFG in both maps. I don't think both maps are that hard to need a BFG, or too boring without a BFG. Overall, the maps are pretty fun, and it keeps the difficulty between Plutonia and Valiant.

OMG, thanks a lot, @GarrettChan! I'm glad you've been enjoying so far the soundtrack and the wad itself!

I'll reduce the numbers of armors on map 9 and 10. I'll think more about the BFG's, though haha

Wow, this really reminds me of Valiant! Lots of incidental gameplay under the pressure, general open-endedness, shapey spacey layouts - love it! I'm on map07 so far and it's been a blast. Soundtrack is cool and quite unburdening, though simple - this is right up my valley. I might actually try Moonblood after this one, love your style.

One small problem - platform with arachnotron wouldn't rise up.

Screenshot_Doom_20180809_185701.png.ba34c11848a8c2fb874921f79d4abd47.png

Thanks a lot @JDR! Moonblood is a quite different experience, but I do enjoy it! :D

I'll look at the bug, thanks for reporting!

Looks great, gonna play it now. The selling point for me was the minimalist map design.  Doom should always be about the gameplay and not about how many vertices and sectors you can pack into a map.

Version 1.6 released!

Download ZIP file here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8nrogtds27wcptc/exomoon-1.6.zip/file

Changelog:

- Lost soul has now less health (55 hp instead of 60).
- Sphere's fire rate has been now reduced by half.
- Add single zip file for 1.6.

- 1: Fixed falling down revenant by adding monster block line.

- 2: Fixed misaligned secret wall, changed textures.
- 2: Changed ceiling cave texture in the last arch-ville setpiece.
- 2: Added Exit Sign.
- 2: added some detailing in the plasma secret.
- 2: Fixed misaligned stairs armor.

- 3: Fixed waking up spiders in the north area.
- 3: Changed normal lifts to fast lifts.
- 3: Replaced chaingunner in the YK window to an imp.
- 3: Secret GR switch has been changed to a G1 switch.
- 3: Added Exit Sign.
- 3: Changed SS location in the yellow key trap.
- 3: Now you can also press to lower lift to exit the secret area.
- 3: Fixed misaligned wall textures in the acid secret area.

- 4: After grabbing blue key, enemies appear close to the blue key door to make navigation easier.
- 4: Fixed unligned platform in the first room.
- 4: Now secret platforms go faster.
- 4: Changed wall texture inside mini-room in plasma secret.
- 4: Fixed unligned window wall in the cyber building.
- 4: Fixed arachnotron entering inside terrain.
- 4: Added Exit Sign.

- 5: Removed a chaingunner in the big hole.
- 5: Fixed damaging floor in a rock floor in the cyber area.
- 5: Fixed FLAT20 doors.
- 5: Fixed waking up spiders in the big hole.
- 5: Fixed wrong wall texture in the water indoor area.
- 5: Added health bottle after bars, to make navigation easier.
- 5: Fixed lift sound dummy sector in the yellow key door.
- 5: Fixed misaligned wall lift water area.
- 5: Fixed misaligned secret walls water area.

- 6: Replaced midspace texture.
- 6: Fixed FLAT20 doors.
- 6: Fixed HOM close to blindsphere.
- 6: Added Exit Sign.

- 7: Changed Ceiling texture int the cyberdemon room.
- 7: Added support texture in the exit lift.

- 9: Removed one green armor.

- 10: Wrong texture beginning.
- 10: Misaligned stairs outdoor initial area.
- 10: Add trees spider area secret.
- 10: Removed one green amor
- 10: Changed one blue armor to green

- 11: Added cheese proof line in the blue key major setpiece.
- 11: Replaced one shotgunner in the lava area with an imp.

- 12: Removed one chainunner close to the soulsphere are in the beginning of the left branch.
- 12: Removed far away shotgunner, replaced with an imp.
- 12: Fixed wrong upper texture close to red key.
- 12: Fixed unligned red door.
- 12: Added platform in the revenant setpiece, so walking into damaging sector isn't mandatory.

- 14: Fixed misaligned rock texture close to the bfg area.
- 14: Fixed HOM in the megasphere's lift.
- 14: Fixed no sound lift in the outside area.
- 14: Fixed BK area blocking decoration.
- 14: Fixed Slime trail in the outdoor building.
- 14: Fixed wrongly placed cyberdemon linedef.

- 15: Fixed unligned pillar in the beginning.
- 15: Removed distant hitscan sniper in the central area.
- 15: Changed ceiling texture radiosuit room.

- 16: Fixed waking up flying spiderdemon.
- 16: Fixed wrongly lower unpegged lowering sectors in the beginning.
- 16: Fixed misaligned lower texture in the yellow key setpiece.
- 16: Fixed misaligned big column floor.
- 16: Fixed misaligned upper wall beginning.

- 18: Replaced one archiville with a revenant in the 3-arch ville setpiece.
- 18: Fixed cyberdemon not going into stairs.
- 18: Fixed sleeping arach.
- 18: Fixed monster opening door which ruins final setpiece.
- 18: Fixed monster opening door in the lava area after RK door.
- 18: Fixed unligned wall in the soulsphere red key door area.
- 18: Fixed sleeping demons in the red key lava area.

- 19: Added more space to void being blocked by impassible linedefs.
- 19: Fixed waking up revenants in the yellow key area teleport.
- 19: Fixed unligned walls.

- 20: Added fire sphere's so the player's knows its mechanisms before joining final boss.

- 32: Changed red key floor texture.

Edited by Deadwing

Hihi I've been playing through this casually over the past couple of weeks. This is very good, you've definitely stepped your game up after Moonblood. Also, I really like your minimalistic Plutonia mapping style in this set. You manage to make maps look really atmospheric. I did have to use the auto-map cheat to find some of the secrets. Perhaps I am retarded haha. Anyways, I am on map 17, and I can't figure out how to get to the bfg secret. Is there some kind of bug or is it just me being somewhat special? :D

I'm playing on UV in the latest Zdoom version.

EDIT: Also, I couldn't get the cybie to spawn in the same map. I wonder if that's related or not.

Edited by Firedust

Hey, good to know you're enjoying the mapset, @Firedust! :D

If that's the secret I'm think it is, you have to press a timed switch behind a misaligned wall in the area where you access after exiting the blue key major setpiece. Here's Francis accessing it:

Here's version 1.7! Several small changes, but mostly focused on helping on player's navigation and small bug fixes.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/byuos697jfo48vm/exomoon-1.7.zip

BTW, If possible, can someone provide FDA's for the maps 12 to 20? >.< (especially the final boss) I'm still not much sure about how they behave in different playstyles, and they're the remaining levels before I move from public beta to a stable release.

Changelog for 1.7:

1: fixed misaligned wall in the very beginning

1: added health bottle close to the bridge switch

1: added lighting to SS

2: fixed missing window border

2: blue key area has a bit more of detailing

2: fixed random lift sound close to the secret area

3 - fixed slow lift that gives access to the YK

3 - added a shortcut back to the Yellow Key door from the yellow key building (it requires the blue key, though)

3 - added block monster lines in the last trap, so arachnotrons don't get stuck

3 - fixed small misaligned cave texture

3 - fixed misaligned texture close to the shortcut teleport

4 - fixed misligned wall in the door close to the plasma secret

4 - fixed misaligned wall in the closet near the rocket area

5: misaligned wall close to rk

5: fixed misalignment exit room

5: changed steps texture in the cyberdemon area so it's easier for the player to recognize the steps

5: Moved some more ammo to cyberdemon area

6: after grabbing blue key, two revenants are spawned to indicate player where he needs to go

7: fixed some drops where the player would get stuck

8: fixed slow lift in the first building where the player access a medkit

8: fixed lift behavior that gives access to the blue key secret (not working sometimes)

8: fixed Flat20 doors

9: fixed Flat20 doors

9: fixed 6 archvilles setpiece, where they would spawn before player drop down in the central area

10: fixed damage floor in the rock sector in red key area
10: now blue key is mandatory to exit the lava area
10: Added hub teleport indications

11: fixed Flat20 doors

11: blocked enemies from teleporting to the inital area from the teleporter of the 3-key hub

11: added key colors close to the teleport and added light, so the player doesn't feel lost after grabbing the 2 or 3 keys

19 hours ago, Deadwing said:

BTW, If possible, can someone provide FDA's for the maps 12 to 20?

If you want to see the maps in action we're playing 13-20 (including the secret maps) in coop survival in ZDaemon right now and the server should be fairly active for at least around 4 hours (we will go through the maps several times over with different settings).

I finally completed this. This was a lot of fun! Shame you've only made one map in the style of m19, but I guess that's just me being greedy :)

Thank you for this mapset!

3 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

If you want to see the maps in action we're playing 13-20 (including the secret maps) in coop survival in ZDaemon right now and the server should be fairly active for at least around 4 hours (we will go through the maps several times over with different settings).

Awesome! Sadly I won't be able to join in the next few days, I'll have a quite busy week >.<

If you guys have any coop suggestion or bug to fix, please let me know!

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

I finally completed this. This was a lot of fun! Shame you've only made one map in the style of m19, but I guess that's just me being greedy :)

Thank you for this mapset!

Thanks a lot playing it! :)

I didn't had any good ideas for a map with that theme =x Initially I would add a more introduty level before 19, but the idea didn't go much far

Is it not available on the Downloads page yet? Finished it today and was planning on writing my review.

It's great, a pretty good example of how non linear progression should be done without becoming confusing or tiring in the process. Gave me quite a few Valiant vibes, especially certain enemies. But seriously, that flying Mastermind can go jump off a cliff :v .

6 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Is it not available on the Downloads page yet? Finished it today and was planning on writing my review.

It's great, a pretty good example of how non linear progression should be done without becoming confusing or tiring in the process. Gave me quite a few Valiant vibes, especially certain enemies. But seriously, that flying Mastermind can go jump off a cliff :v .

Thanks a lot! :)

It's still in public beta, I believe it will take a while before going into idgames!

I'm still watching your streams, but I already found lots of stuff to fix, especially bugs, navigation and pacing related things. (flying spiders will remain the same, though!  :D) Thanks lot for streaming!

36 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Thanks a lot! :)

It's still in public beta, I believe it will take a while before going into idgames!

I'm still watching your streams, but I already found lots of stuff to fix, especially bugs, navigation and pacing related things. (flying spiders will remain the same, though!  :D) Thanks lot for streaming!

No problemo, I just hope I did a decent job because let's face it, I did get raped quite nastily on a few occasions :v .

So it's still in beta, hm, thought it was finished and you were looking for feedback to polish it further, but I guess it's not the case. Well, my major problem would probably be the enemy usage. The placement is pretty good, but I think some enemies do reach overuse levels, particularly the Revenants, they were quite a pain in the ass. On the other hand I don't remember seeing many Mancubi so maybe switching them in a few places could be a step in the right direction me thinks.

Cyberdemons are also a mixed bag, what map was it... Void? I think that was the map that had 3 or so at the end, sheesh that arena was exciting yet not a lot of fun since things get pretty crowded fast. Add the flying Masterminds to the equation and oh boi.

In other words, I think it needs more balancing (the megawad not the level), I played it on Spicy Plutonia. It's nowhere near unfun or frustrating levels, but it could be better. The maps offer plenty of resources but I had a nagging feeling they were there there precisely because lots of damage was expected, often mandatory.

Some enemies also need some modifications imo, or rather the Mother Demon. That was quite the surprise, never expected to see her, but there's too many rocket-centric enemies. There's Cybies, the flying Mastermind, and also the Mother Demon. I would recommend changing her attacks into something similar to what's seen in D64D2. Would that make her less unique? Not from my POV. I imagine her firing Mancubi fireballs + a hitscan attack a la Arch-Vile, although if you do decide to go for this some maps would also require modifications. The map where she's first encountered isn't designed for such a take on her, and neither is the second one actually.

Furthermore, her speed. In the first map she's encountered it's fine, but the next encounter? Not so much since it takes place in a small room where her speed can be a problem. It can be annoying to fight her in such an environment since she can easily go right above your head.

By the way, someone above mentioned this as well, you should (or should've?) indeed make more maps like the Void, that level really stood out of the crowd, and not just because it was different. I was also surprised to see that there weren't 32 maps in it, are you not planning on turning it into a 32 level megawad? The "Thanks for Playing" level was pretty nice, but moving the message somewhere outside instead and expanding it so that more can be seen or explored would be even better (also, no enemies :v ). Think of Ancient Aliens, I think you'll know why.