Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

9 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Admittedly, I haven't looked at the way you have your map structured, but let's say you have a wall around your exit that rises after the last Keen is dead (like in Map 32). I think you could accomplish something similar (without Keens) by placing three bars behind your exit-concealing wall (make sure they touch your exit-concealing wall). As long as those bars have not lowered/risen, you won't be able to open the exit-concealing wall. Have one bar tagged with each of the marked switches, so that as you hit the switches, each bar will lower/raise. Then, have a walkover switch (set to WR and either a stay open door or raise floor to nearest ceiling) that raises the exit-concealing wall. You could put them close to each switch, so that regardless of the order you hit the switches, you will still trigger the wall to open. Or you could put the walkover line somewhere on the approach to the exit concealing wall. Voila! Same effect with three switches, but no Keens.

You may want to add this to the OP under the rules. It's rather late in the game and hasn't been an issue until now, but still, better late than never.

Thanks for an advice, I knew this non-keen way before (And used in multiple key locked door in vanilla).

But, whatever, the player won't be able to see and hear the keens. Only typing "Monster" in console (Zdoom ports) could reveal them.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:52 AM, Pegleg said:

Were you planning to finish the map yourself? Or hand it off to @dt_ to finish?

They can finish it if they want, or really anyone for that matter. I figured I didn't want it going to waste so I'd donate what I had done.

Really looking forward to this. I love old school bizzaro maps like Sandy's episode 3. In my opinion its Doom in its truest form. I'd love to make a few maps for this but I'm incredibly lazy and it looks like you've got most of your slots taken anyway.

1 hour ago, Death Egg said:

They can finish it if they want, or really anyone for that matter. I figured I didn't want it going to waste so I'd donate what I had done.

Can you post the map here or PM @dt_ with it? I keep mentioning him only because he said he was willing to finish your map.

Apocrypha of Punishment: [link to map]

Most inspired by: mainly E3m5 (unholy cathedral i believe), some E3m3, and maybe some e3m4?

Build time: 3 some days

Music: Unused doom song - Stone Temple Pilots "Sex Type Thing".

Coop support: Full

DM support: limited

Description: Took some of the design from e3m5 for a more arena sort of vibe. More slaughterish as i was feeling that would be easier to implement in short time than a lengthy explore map. However i am very pleased with how it turned out so far.

Demo: None yet as i was already tired from a lot of play testing before uploading.

Any and all criticism is welcome, this is V-1 and i'd love to make changes for the better, only major issue i know of right now is the stairs near the exit tower hurt the player and shouldn't, and one of the final puzzles before the exit door works decently as far as i know, but is finicky and while it hasn't failed is supposed to allow for 1 retry.

That and the start can be a little brutal, i like how it is but if there's any ideas on how to keep it frantic but maybe not so sticky i'd love to hear.

Screenshot_Doom_20180810_161447.png.94da5db7ae3c5aeb5a92649550ccda1b.pnginfern1.PNG.771887d2e9cf25abd22963cd423af57a.PNG

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Most inspired by: mainly E3m5 (unholy cathedral i believe), some E3m3, and maybe some e3m4?

Description: Took some of the design from e3m5 for a more arena sort of vibe. More slaughterish as i was feeling that would be easier to implement in short time than a lengthy explore map. However i am very pleased with how it turned out so far.

Demo: None yet as i was already tired from a lot of play testing before uploading.

Any and all criticism is welcome, this is V-1 and i'd love to make changes for the better, only major issue i know of right now is the stairs near the exit tower hurt the player and shouldn't, and one of the final puzzles before the exit door works decently as far as i know, but is finicky and while it hasn't failed is supposed to allow for 1 retry.

That and the start can be a little brutal, i like how it is but if there's any ideas on how to keep it frantic but maybe not so sticky i'd love to hear.

Screenshot_Doom_20180810_161447.png.94da5db7ae3c5aeb5a92649550ccda1b.pnginfern1.PNG.771887d2e9cf25abd22963cd423af57a.PNG

It looks good. Is it vanilla compatible?

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

It looks good. Is it vanilla compatible?

um, i think so, i used the doom in doom format. seemed pretty minimal when building.

5 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

um, i think so, i used the doom in doom format. seemed pretty minimal when building.

I really advise you to check your Visplane Explorer in GZDoom Builder. It looks like it might be breaching some limits in that field. 

Although it may also break the maxvisthings limit (maximum visible things). 

16 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

I tested your level with Boom and I noticed some missing textures. I am in the process of fixing them for you. Also, the secret that contains the Big Fusion Generator 9000 does not open.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

5 hours ago, NaZa said:

I really advise you to check your Visplane Explorer in GZDoom Builder. It looks like it might be breaching some limits in that field. 

Although it may also break the maxvisthings limit (maximum visible things). 

@DerFurer'sFace

For a vanilla map, Visplane Explorer is an absolute first step. You can check the visplane and drawsegs with all your doors closed and all your doors open. Obviously, things like lowering platforms or walls couldn't be tested, but it's a good first step. From there, you really need to test with Chocolate Doom (better) or Chocorenderlimits (best).

12 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Vanilla format means more than making a map on doom format, it means that your map can be run without problems on the original executable and as such there are plenty of hard limits that it has to take into consideration. To ensure that your map is vanilla compatible, you should ALWAYS test your map on chocolate doom to ensure you map works into those limits. Any map that breaks the vanilla limits is considered 'limit removing'

Im afraid that there are plenty of vanilla issues on your map, there are no visplane overflow issues, so that's good but there are a couple of glitched textures and some tutti frutti effects, but im sure those are an easy fix. The biggest issues i've found it's that your map breaks the visible sprite limits, so monsters, ammo or decorations flicker a lot and become invisible and visible over again. Also due to the high thing number on the map, saving the game crashes the game due to a save game buffer overflow, and during a test run i used idkfa and fired the bfg causing the game to crash too. You should take a look at those issues and see if you can make any compromise to ensure vanilla compatibility since your map is 'limit removing' as it is.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:43 PM, xvertigox said:

Here's some screenshots to prove I'm still alive. Not sure how Inferno-y it'll come out or if it'll just be a generic hell map but I'm trying. I'm probably ~50% done so far, aiming for around 10min length.

Hide contents

DOOM00.png.0d81686523e3b68b00a36de595f93fe2.pngDOOM06.png.81c0276510993220d5f126e3b9037af4.pngDOOM08.png.a0f7582c9b97700e86bf6d421f33aaf3.pngDOOM05.png.36a8c047c5ccfd135bdac1acf75bc089.pngDOOM12.png.1a3c208e818f63a0800ee482284e2262.pngDOOM02.png.51103df05b0aa2cf577fd64aed0792a6.png

I beat your level. I fixed some missing textures in your level.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s6kn1c8h9n8ah5m/DoomedToSufferv1.9.zip/file

14 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I tested your level with Boom and I noticed some missing textures.

5 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I fixed some missing textures in your level.

Are you using this resource wad?

On 6/30/2018 at 1:20 AM, bonnie said:

edit: We'll be using these resources: d1gfxd2_infernew.zip

1 hour ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I did. Some levels that I have beaten, I've imported the required textures into the WADs with Slade. 

The idea is to load both wads simultaneously, not create a bunch of wads with duplicate textures.

36 minutes ago, Darox said:

The idea is to load both wads simultaneously, not create a bunch of wads with duplicate textures.

I merge textures into the wad files so that I would not have to load both files simultaneously, and I only import the textures required to load properly with Boom. If you tried loading the levels into Boom without merging the textures and with only the wad alone, you will have a bunch of missing textures.

I apologize that i have not done anny mapping with vanilla, but is there any way to see how big a save file would be in chocolate doom? i'm having trouble cutting down my map more to fit that constraint and if there was a way to get an actual file size then it would be easier. 

If I recall correctly the level data shouldn't be larger than 160 KB. 

I updated my map with a new download, I have tested it in chocolate doom and I think I got rid of all the nasty errors. I removed a lot of the monsters, small ammo, and bonuses and can now save upon level enter. I removed all the teleporting key monsters down to a 3 key archville summon, the bfg secret now works, the yellow key puzzle switch does not have wall demons in it anymore, and i think i fixed it but the red key side room (wood one with gargoyle eyes) had some texture tearing.

Link in original post too

On 8/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

If the deadline is August 4, 2018, what are you going to do with slots 26 through 30?

@bonnie has the final say in that, but it will be one of two things:

1. There will be multiple alphas, with maps added to them until we reach the full 30 + 2 secret maps.

2. We just roll with a mapset based on less than 30 maps.

It's worth noting that bonnie will not be releasing the final map (whatever number that happens to be) until the final idgames release. At least, that's what she said on Discord.

EDIT: Based on your statement during the video of my level, I think if you could get a level done relatively quickly, you could certainly get the level added to the alpha. That being said, I don't know how bonnie would react to an Icon of Sin map. I suppose if you could make it mesh with the vibe of the original 3rd episode, because the point of the CP is basically "vanilla-compatible, Inferno-inspired levels with a Doom 1 vibe, but that can contain some Doom 2 elements."

Edited by Pegleg : Potential map.

21 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

@Pegleg I beat your level. I fixed some missing textures for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hr0bx7j91lhh4ro/pathtord_v3.zip/file

Thanks for the playthrough. I hope you enjoyed the level. I saw a few things that I hadn't expected (such as camping in the red switch room), so I'll work on fixing them.

Incidentally, although you had no way to know this, the version you beat (version 3) will be replaced by version 4 here in the next few days (hopefully, if life doesn't intervene). Some of the parts have been reworked, the secrets are changed up some, and there's less ammo. I've also tried to fix the various misaligned textures. 

Oh, and I've been kicking around a shorter name for a week or so, because I think the current name may be too long for vanilla.

Thanks again.

Here is version 4 5 of my map Pathways of the Tortured Dead. Yes, that's still the title, although it will probably change to make it more vanilla-compatible once the ordering gets set. (I updated my July 14, July 21, and August 5 posts.) My post on September 26 can be read for more information on version 5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezsddenbk6l6ijd/pathtord_v5.zip?dl=1

<version 4 link removed>

Thanks to @FrancisT18, @rdwpa, and @mArt1And00m3r11339 for the feedback. I tried to address your concerns with the changes I made, which are noted here.

Changes to various textures and flats.

Misalignments fixed, especially on either side of doors, as much as possible.

Ammo reduced.

Orientation of player starts rotated.

Monster counts changed.

I attempted to reduce the opportunities for camping.

Monsters in hallways reduced.

Path to the rocket launcher secret changed.

Some of the secrets have been changed around or replaced (there are now 6 secrets).

Added a means to get the weapons in the final blood winding bridge trap room (although it is not necessarily obvious).

Changed around some trigger lines to make sure that there is more than 1 way to play an encounter.

Monster count:

ITYTD and HNTR: 88

HMP: 123

UV and NM: 158

Total build time to get to this point: ~250-300 hours over the course of 6 weeks.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Pegleg