Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

New locations - concept art discussion

uac.jpg

hell.jpg

contraption.jpg

heaven.jpg

I haven't seen a great deal of discussion about the 4 bits of detailed concept art they showed off, so here's a thread for it. What's up with the demon hologram? What are those big chained demon skeletons in Hell? Why do the dudes in the chairs seem to have splayed ribcages like the captive Wraiths in the Well? Why do those wall sconce things in, uh, "heaven" look sort of like they have Samuel Hayden's head?

I'm tempted to say the demon hologram with worshipers is a reference to the "VIOS" in Doom 2 RPG:

Vios.png

It would make sense if some form of the IOS is involved in the plot I guess.

Personally I'm really interested in those, I can't wait until we get to learn more about that. But for now I'll just say two things. First, the big chained demons in Hell look like something straight out of Hell towers from Diablo III (04:04). That last picture on the other hand reminds me strongly of XCOM2.

There's a definite Empire Strikes Back vibe to 1 3 & 4, which is fine because Ralph McQuarrie was awesome. 2 seems to be a continuation of the Titan's Realm theme from Doom2016. Overall, I like the 'TechHell' motif, and the grand scale seems reminiscent of well known slaugther maps.

I'm pretty sure that isn't heaven, unless they're going for the whole 'angels are even more terrifiying than demons' thing. I suspect it's the high tech 'clean' bit of hell where healers stalk. (Could that be a relation of the Summoner on the left?)

6c7.png

So good looking, I can sense the many many killings that will occur there once Doom Guy find those places.

7 minutes ago, Urthar said:

I suspect it's the high tech 'clean' bit of hell

Whether or not that particular concept art is from Hell, it's clear there is another civilization / faction in the game that we haven't really been properly introduced to yet.

The hellish cityscape we saw in the demo was one of the Hell on Earth levels. What was the bluey grey-ey fantasy city level?

Hugo Martin: What do you think it is? We don't want to say. You will learn what that place is when you play Doom Eternal, and the answer to that question is really compelling. I will say this: it's not Hell. That blueish place is not Hell.

Oh shit! Is it... the opposite?

Hugo Martin: I dunno [and I think I see a smile as he shrugs]. You've just gotta play the game. We hope the question of 'Where am I?' and 'What's going on here?' is what drives people to dig into the story.

I think the bluey grey-ey fantasy city is Argent D'Nur, or rather, a location the surviving members of Doom Slayers people escaped to after the initial invasion. Or maybe it's from before the hell invasion, since we'll be exploring the Slayers past.

36 minutes ago, Shanoa said:

Maybe this is where they unearthed the Doom Slayer's sarcophagus.

The sarcophagus was found in Kadingir Sanctum. The exit room in Kadingir is actually the tomb where his sarcophagus was found.

Just now, Novaseer said:

The sarcophagus was found in Kadingir Sanctum. The exit room in Kadingir is actually the tomb where his sarcophagus was found.

Welp, I oughta replay the game a second time, I'm rusty on my DOOM lore.

Or forgetful...or both.

7 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

I'm tempted to say the demon hologram with worshipers is a reference to the "VIOS" in Doom 2 RPG:

Vios.png

I just thought the same thing, when I saw it.

They certainly look good, something like Quake 3 maps, i really love the last one.

8 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Vios.png

It would make sense if some form of the IOS is involved in the plot I guess.

I remember playing the first one, i really liked it, is the second one for pc or android?

I feel like it's worth pointing out that the "guy" in the pic people refer to as "heaven" was actually designed for the prior game and appears in the Art of Doom on a page of artwork created for the Argent D'Nur culture which either ended up unused or was shuffled off to the MP maps Argent Breach and Elysium. This stuff was all designed by concept artist Emerson Tung.

?format=1500w

Edit: And here the dude is in whole, in Argent Breach:

tony-garza-00-dlc-argbreach01.jpg?149264

@Quasar

I still subscribe to the theory that what you see there is not actually Heaven but Limbo, a beautiful but gloomy afterlife on the edge of hell where virtuous pagans go. If that is the case, then perhaps Heaven is not a participant and the task of protecting the different realms from hell falls to Limbo. That would also explain the various occult symbols you see there. 

Perhaps you go to Limbo in Doom 1 because it is besieged and you are tasked with protecting it OR perhaps that is when Doomguy comes in contact with them and becomes their hero.

Edited by DooM_RO

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

@Quasar

I still subscribe to the theory that what you see there is not actually Heaven but Limbo, a beautiful but gloomy afterlife on the edge of hell where virtuous pagans go. If that is the case, then perhaps Heaven is not a participant and the task of protecting the different realms from hell falls to Limbo. That would also explain the various occult symbols you see there. 

Not sure, but that the being depicted is probably benevolent is definitely suggested by what's obviously a halo (albeit a metallic one) around him. Perhaps he's one of the aforementioned Seraphim, and might even be rebelling against the usual order of things by meddling in mortal affairs at all... if this universe is ruled by callous, indifferent god(s) that just let everything unfold the way it will, then empowering a mortal to fight against Hell would probably be forbidden. If there are these divine powers in the Doom "universe" it's hard for me to imagine them working any other way really and still have them fit into the tone of the series.

Just now, Quasar said:

Not sure, but that the being depicted is probably benevolent is definitely suggested by what's obviously a halo (albeit a metallic one) around him. Perhaps he's one of the aforementioned Seraphim, and might even be rebelling against the usual order of things by meddling in mortal affairs at all... if this universe is ruled by callous, indifferent god(s) that just let everything unfold the way it will, then empowering a mortal to fight against Hell would probably be forbidden. If there are these divine powers in the Doom "universe" it's hard for me to imagine them working any other way really and still have them fit into the tone of the series.

I don't know, they look pretty mean to me, even vaguely evil. If that is Limbo then perhaps the Wraiths are actually pre-Christian gods that were sent to Limbo once Christianity replaced them. It would make sense since even the good pre-Christian gods could be pretty mean and callous. So the people in Limbo worship both God and the pre-Christian gods then.

@Quasar.

Hmmm, that Sentinel with an axe in the bas-relief looks a lot like that Axe Knight Hugo teased. Maybe he got turned into a demon?

Well at least We're getting "PHOBOS', maybe we get to play on "DEIMOS" in Eternal also. I know I wasn't the only one that saw that gameplay reveal was PLEASANTLY SHOCKED that the doomguy was on PHOBOS after learning ways back that Eternal is basically a re-imagining of Doom 2: Hell on Earth. And on top of that you know we'll getting the Doom: Eternal's Snap-Map editor mod tools of much of the ravaged Earth, Phobos (*DEIMOS, maybe?) and whatever else they'll reveal off those concept pictures.

11 hours ago, Memfis said:

Looks like Tangerine Nightmare. :)

Actually, if you look closely, this is E3M1: Hell Keep :)

5 minutes ago, Xfing said:

Actually, if you look closely, this is E3M1: Hell Keep :)

I don't see the resemblance.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I don't see the resemblance.

Well I did immediately, but guess that's just me.

The first and the third screenshot remind me of Dead Space 1-2. Not in terms of visuals but in the context.

In DOOM 16 you get to know that the crucible is some sort of superweapon and most likely used to gather energy from hell.

Then in DOOM Eternal you learn that a whole cult has been built around this thing or Hell in general and Hayden & Co. use it to transform helpless

people into zombies and/or use humans as an energy source. Very similar to the story in Dead Space 1-2, where in the first one there's the artifact

that turns people into necromorphs and in the second you encounter the whole cult which has been built around it.

In the trailer you can hear the holographic woman say: My brothers and sisters: "Let's help to make our friends transition into

their new world a comfortable one".

It's at 8:30 and I think it's no coincidence that right there you encounter some possessed human zombies.

The words "My brothers and sisters" indicates some sort of special group or more likely a cult.

16 hours ago, Linguica said:

uac.jpg

hell.jpg

contraption.jpg

heaven.jpg

I haven't seen a great deal of discussion about the 4 bits of detailed concept art they showed off, so here's a thread for it. What's up with the demon hologram? What are those big chained demon skeletons in Hell? Why do the dudes in the chairs seem to have splayed ribcages like the captive Wraiths in the Well? Why do those wall sconce things in, uh, "heaven" look sort of like they have Samuel Hayden's head?

That character in the fourth picture looks very similar to demons, could that location be like a pre-hell of them? You know, like angels before they went corrupt.

Remember the Seraphim seen in an ingame painting in Doom 2016? Maybe the 4th picture is his home.