Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novaseer

I accidentally added my INTERPIC to TEXTUREx. How do I remove it?

Question

10 answers to this question

Make a backup of your wad.

Delete the PNAMES and TEXTUREx entries.

Select all your patches.

slade.jpg.8517206c7d60dfca1d8c5fd1db209a81.jpg

Right click and Add to Patch Table, and then repeat for Add to TEXTUREx.

Of course, any multi-patch textures will require editing by hand. A lot depends on how you set up the textures in the first place.

Slight problem: In trying to remove unused patches, I've also managed to fuck up every texture that the wad uses. And it overrid the backups too. Any way to fix this?

Well, you could identify which patch were replaced by which and then adjust the names in PNAMES, but it might be simpler to restart from scratch.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Well, you could identify which patch were replaced by which and then adjust the names in PNAMES, but it might be simpler to restart from scratch.

I'd rather go the former route (which I have already partially done anyway - I've managed to fix all the custom textures and a few of the vanilla ones). I'm not wasting months of work due to a small mishap.

The patch table is a numbered index for the texture lump. When you remove a patch from the table, every subsequent patch will get bumped up one in the list. That means that every instance of those bumped up patches in the texture lump will now be referencing the wrong patch.

If you removed a single patch towards the end of the patch table it's not so bad. You will only need to fix a few textures by hand since only a few patches will have been bumped up.

Otherwise rebuilding PNAMES and TEXTURE again from scratch is probably faster, and certainly cleaner.

1 minute ago, Urthar said:

The patch table is a numbered index for the texture lump. When you remove a patch from the table, every subsequent patch will get bumped up one in the list. That means that every instance of those bumped up patches in the texture lump will now be referencing the wrong patch.

If you removed a single patch towards the end of the patch table it's not so bad. You will only need to fix a few textures by hand since only a few patches will have been bumped up.

Otherwise rebuilding PNAMES and TEXTURE again from scratch is probably faster, and certainly cleaner.

How does one rebuild those without remaking the entire WAD?

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

Make a backup of your wad.

Delete the PNAMES and TEXTUREx entries.

Select all your patches.

slade.jpg.8517206c7d60dfca1d8c5fd1db209a81.jpg

Of course, any multi-patch textures will require editing by hand. A lot depends on how you set up the textures in the first place.

I'll try it. Thanks.

EDIT: It worked! Thank you so much!

Edited by Novaseer

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

You can skip the "Add to Patch Table" step, since "Add to TEXTUREx" will do that automatically when needed.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

You can skip the "Add to Patch Table" step, since "Add to TEXTUREx" will do that automatically when needed.

I added only the patches to the patch table, as I was aware of how that worked.

Thanks for the help regardless, everyone.