Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Doom Wiki Month in Review (Issue #4 - Late Edition)

WantedPages report: 4,089 - down 356 from the last issue.

I have it set to display up to 5000 entries on one page...load times have definitely been improving :)

Unlike the main review this also includes this first half of August - though afair it's been about the same since the month began anyway.

One other thing:

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Skeleton map articles for all of the PlayStation Doom maps (thanks Xymph)

I'm not sure if it was being left for later or an oversight, but Final Doom still needs skeletons.

Just now, Eris Falling said:

One other thing:

I'm not sure if it was being left for later or an oversight, but Final Doom still needs skeletons.

My extractor doesn't yet support Final Doom's map format so Xymph is essentially waiting on me to have time to figure that out.

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

lol Holy hell gets an article

If it's in the notable WADs list, then I generated a skeleton page for it. If it wasn't notable, then maybe it shouldn't have been in the list to begin with. Though I understand that notability has been a notoriously tough concept to agree on at the wiki.

For multi-level WADs, I prefer to wait for other contributors to create an overview page with map list for them, before I turn my bot scripts loose on them. :)

Holy Hell is certainly notable, though the slaughter genre isn't really extensively documented yet so it maybe sticks out a bit :P

Once I finally finish my Skulldash draft, perhaps the Slaughterfest series would be good as a next focus. Throw in ESP and we can probably eliminate most of the redlinks on TimeOfDeath's article.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, Eris Falling said:

Once I finally finish my Skulldash draft, perhaps the Slaughterfest series would be good as a next focus. Throw in ESP and we can probably eliminate most of the redlinks on TimeOfDeath's article.

Why would all those WADs be notable enough for redlinks (planned to eventually become articles) anyway -- just like for e.g. Shadowman and Malinku -- while most WADs by, for example, Doomkid , Memfis and Scifista42 aren't?

Nothing pro or con any map author, and I have little knowledge about any mapper's or map's notability, but from the perspective of not saturating the wiki with mundane map articles and of the associated work load (for me and others), it seems worthwhile to make some choices and keep everything manageable. How, that is open to discussion.

Well, that's not a question for me, I oppose redlinking to every single work by a given author, and I think I've never done it in the 40 or so person articles I've created, which includes the scifista and Doomkid articles - I expanded the latter into the usual format.

A lot of those redlinks are standalone WADs that went on to appear in ESP and ESP2, which are popular enough within the hardcore-lovin' side of this community that I think they do deserve their own articles. Some of the maps in the ESPs even have their own articles already (50 Shades of Graytall MAP16, his DMP contributions...). At a guess, I'd say we'll see what that sorts out and then delink the rest.

10 hours ago, Xymph said:

Nothing pro or con any map author, and I have little knowledge about any mapper's or map's notability, but from the perspective of not saturating the wiki with mundane map articles and of the associated work load (for me and others), it seems worthwhile to make some choices and keep everything manageable. How, that is open to discussion.

FWIW I agree, and by the same reasoning, I hope you aren't actually considering List of notable WADs fair game for article creation (as your earlier post comes close to implying). That list is a wiki page like any other -- anyone can add anything, and if it's related to Doom and matches the existing table formatting, it will be approved.

It might help to remember that the title used to be "List of WADs" (per our archaic written rule that says anything publicly available is notable), and it was renamed in advance of a planned discussion to hammer out a notability guideline, which fizzled out with no definite conclusions.

Xymph said:

Why would all those WADs be notable enough for redlinks (planned to eventually become articles) anyway

Because I made them. But yeah, I red linked all my wads when I wrote my article because that's what I thought I was supposed to do when a wad didn't have an article. I can remove all those red links if you want.

13 hours ago, Xeriphas1994 said:

I hope you aren't actually considering List of notable WADs fair game for article creation (as your earlier post comes close to implying).

I am indeed aware that this list isn't the be-all and end-all with respect to WADs "worthiness" of wiki coverage. But in absence of any other more usable list, I have been making several sweeps over it in the past, to cover at least all single-level WADs in it. That process was completed (apart from a few stragglers) after the Kaiser series in April.

As for multi-level WADs, my stance on them is mentioned above.

2 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I can remove all those red links if you want.

Not particularly, I'm fine with following Eris' proposal for resolving them.