Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

Was the "s" turned into a "z" to avoid this? Anyway always up for more Crunchynut maps.

I was lazy and did little research to find if a Quasar.wad already exists, plus Zs are in right now. Cheers!

Very fun stuff. Yeah, it certainly has an Egyptian-Alternate World/Time feel, but not so much that it's no longer Doom. Loved the first three maps. Not so much the fourth, but that's probably me. I kept dying like a dog so I had to cheat my way through it. Once I got to the end, I appreciated your design choice. I liked it. I just wish I was able to handle large crowds better. No bugs that I found, but a couple of aesthetic things on MAP03. In the SW area I knocked the AV off his platform with a rocket, through the bars. I did the same in the NE room with a couple of the Imps in the alcoves. Probably need to be monster-blocked. And the bars on those alcoves are not offset, so there is a cut-off half-face on the right edge of each alcove. Really enjoyable. Thank you.

I don't recommend using the name "readme.txt" because other people use it too and so files get overwritten.

Map01: classic intro map deal. I'm not sure why you put block sound lines in closets near the chaingun: shouldn't all monsters come out at the same time? And the soulsphere seemed like too big of a reward for finding such an easy secret. Cool elaborate design in the cg room.

Map02: hmm, nice "beach" mood, but big areas with very few hitscanners = you don't even have to fight if you don't want to. A little too easy to run past the enemies perhaps? The final carnage was fun though.

Map03: the trickiest map in the set: the start and the red key room are kinda challenging. Some monster placement is a bit lazy/annoying though, e.g. 4 boring hell knights behind the yellow door, an arch-vile behind the red door that's hard to aim at, demons on top of a lift (I can just shoot from below?). Also there are some poorly aligned cages, and the green armor can be a nuisance if you already have the blue one below 100% and don't want to switch to green.

Map04: I'm not a fan of spawning monsters and radical changes in gameplay style (from "normal" fights in Map03 to large-scale slaughter), so I just ran through this as quick as I could. Also here I couldn't see the cyberdemon fully.

I think Cereal Killer had trickier monster placement with pesky snipers and nice crossfire situations, so I remember enjoying it more than this. But I guess you're experimenting with other gameplay styles, which is fine. Thanks for sharing these pretty maps.

My demos:

quazar_mem_FDA.zip

Some pre-bedtime FDAs from last night.

I wasn't trying to rush but the maps kept presenting obvious opportunities to have more fun by doing so, so I took them. I think some of the monster placements in 03 would be dull if I were trying to kill everything. Many inconveniently placed perched snipers and then the campable lone MM at the end. Since slaughter is my favorite subgenre, 04 was naturally my favorite as far as action, and the resource supply is so generous that I can see this appealing to most people. Anyway, good to see small less ambitious sets like this released.

Edited by rdwpa

I think I found another mapset which I'll replay over and over again when time comes. Perfect atmosphere and encounters aren't so mean compared with other wads or stuff which I'm making now. Yeah, good stuff. Keep it up ;)

@Memfis Appreciate the thorough feedback, ill do a fair bit of work to make sure it plays a little smoother and create a little more engagement before I release it properly. As long as it was fun to blast through, I don't even mind if the player skips enemies in fact there were a few speedrun tricks left in. I will however definitely fix those visual errors and what not. Thanks for playing!

Thanks to everyone who played so far, much wont be changing other then tightening up some levels and visuals. Thanks for kind words.

RC2 is ready for download, unless anyone finds a major bug will hopefully be the final update.

Not worth a replay if you played rc1, just some minor changes here and there to tighten up the gameplay as per the feedback I have gotten so far. As well as some detailing here and there. Cheers!

Hey, recorded some FDAs for RC2.

Overall this was a fun little romp for an evening, enjoyed map04 the most, indeed that olde Scythe vibe. Cheers!

Hizas, late to the party :P

Here are some demos. Quazarcat.lmp is my playthrough from MAP01 to MAP03. I'm a complete duffous in in the opener lol, got my self an embarasing amount of deaths. The next ones went much smoother for me, though i finished MAP03 off-camera by accident. Quazarcat2.lmp shows MAP04, which was defeated without me breakin a sweat (though did took a few attempts).

Quick level by level:

-"Into Sandys Base": Ye old cutesy reserved opener. The player is basically left running around shooting and punching things left and right with the shotgun, chaingun and heavyweight boxing techniques. It shouldn't be too dangerous for the cautious or experienced, though those pesky hitscanners in blind spots can get on one's nerves. I like the aesthetic, it's a tranquil and beautiful combination of the golden sand and peaceful water.

-"The Nile": Stewboy mid choice shows you have taste ;) This one showcase an extension of the looks treated to the player in the first map, with the simple yet elegant design of "The Nile" river, lovely temple too. Gameplay gives more freedom to movement here, even with big slaughter surprise near the end had a lot of wiggle space, although i think it was meant to be a "true" massacre, you know, for the leisure of killing demons. Pretty fun.

-"Magma Temple": Aptly dubbed by one reviewer here as the mapset's trickiest offering. Quite a lot of brain power and decent doom skills needed here on UV, with a healthy dose of slaughter-lite encounters that will certainly kill if left unchecked. The challenge here is a nice change of pace. Vibrant visuals with the magma streams flowing about.

-"Mount Quazar": Now we witness the mapset's full conversion to breakneck slaughter! Welp, actually it's generous with supplies, with a very comfortable amount of invul spheres. Shouldn't be too hard to finish this three key affair, considering you can distract everything here with the chaos from monster infighting. Visuals here are probably my fav of the set, looking like a slightly unconventional hell with a lot of neatly designed areas. Good times murdering dem hellspawn.

Quazar is mapset packed with enough pretty visuals and appealing slaughter gameplay to make a Doom player a happy Doom player. "Good things comes in small packages" is definitely true in this case. Hoping to see even more from you!

I'm not sure whether I have some setting(s) not appropriate because the monsters spawned by the spawn cubes are stuck on PrBoom+. Also, I would say Map04 is a little bit too annoying for UV Maxing. Other than this, Map01 through Map03 are very enjoyable. Thanks for the efforts.

Oh, forgot about the spawn cube behavior. IIRC, monsters can get "stuck" grouped together in cl9 and higher.

Man the midi music adding so much joy to the map, jimmy doing such awesome job. I'm going to be honest to you, 
the starting area on 1st map was kinda weak. those walls was bit more empty for my eyes and maybe adding some lights or 
liguids leading to the small pool where you start will bring stronger first fealing. Neverthless the rest of the
map was well detailed and was look beautiful. Base place somewhere in desert while relaxing midi playing to
your ears is really cool. Didn't finish yet but you have cool layouts.

Playing through this right now.  

Map 1 is short and sweet.  Having berserk early on is fun and makes mid tiers less annoying at end of map.  

Map 2 was also pretty fun.  More perched hitscan than I care for but early ssg makes up for it.  My only complaint was getting the backpack secret after I'd cleared the map.  Excellent midi, btw.  

Is this armor on map 3 meant to be a bump? 

de47770454.png

I got 3 skull keys on map 4 and died to some viles.  I'm not going to play that map further as I don't enjoy IoS/monster spawner maps and don't feel they contribute positively in any way.  

Overall, great fun wad.  Played with saving 1-2 times per map, took about 1 hour to play.