Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chickensoup101

The Invasion mechanic.

This new multiplayer mechanic will annoy the fuck out of people for those who didn't turned off the invasion mode. And what i like about this new multiplayer mechanic, this could be the best mechanic to annoy and troll a lot of players for the shits and giggles! So, just turned off the invasion mode so no one will disturbed your single player campaign experience. Tho, I rather prefer multiplayer story campaign, fighting against the forces of hell with your friends ala Contra! :D

Given people's reaction to the mechanic that would be a silly thing to do. They're not dumb, and the game is not done, so no, I don't think it will be on by default.

I think it should be on by default. What's the point of creating such a mechanic if only a small percentage of the playerbase can even be reached with it?

Please elaborate what you mean by trolling. At the end of the day it's more akin to "an unexpected miniboss", and I'm sure there will be a reason to kill players who invade, such as a points system etc. If your perception of trolling is "having a perfectly reasonable encounter beat you because you're bad at the game" then you need to relearn the term.

Again, to reinforce what I'm saying here - the invaders will be much worse off than you, since they'll be a demon of some kind, such as a Revenant or Mancubus - think about it for a second, you, a fully equipped Doom Slayer with advanced movement techniques, powerful weaponry which can cover just about every situation, vs a couple of demons with the equivalent of "better AI". Yeah, no brainer.

Also you could just chainsaw them, heh.

I don't see too grievous problems of griefing, it's just a sort of PvP experience, but diluted. I think the doomslayer will still have a big edge. 

I'm absolutely sure players will find ways to grief in the beginning, but few patches should solve the problem.

43 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Please elaborate what you mean by trolling.

I have my shitty experienced with this kind of mechanic before, Players would just screwing around with you instead of playing it serious. Don't know probably i suck it~ p

Also, i wonder if the demon selection will be randomized. it would be suck if you play as a slow moving zombie! XD

16 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Would be cool if you could stalk the player across the level.

Doom Eternal : Yandere Simulator addition? XD

" I wish Doom Slayer senpai noticed me~ "

35 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Would be cool if you could stalk the player across the level.

Guess Invasion is only for private servers. So you could just pick a couple friends for that, so getting stalked by a stranger won't be possible.

Speaking of stalking, was there any instance where some player got stalked by another in Doom???

3 hours ago, RightField said:

I would think it's turned off by default to avoid this tho

I would think it's turned on by default or they wouldn't add it to the game at all.

30 minutes ago, MTF Sergeant said:

Guess Invasion is only for private servers. So you could just pick a couple friends for that, so getting stalked by a stranger won't be possible.

I take it you've not played Dark Souls, which has this exact mechanic?  It works well in that game, and doesn't limit you to friends only (though I think there might be the option to do something of that sort, I think?)

I don't think the invaders will have the power over the Doomslayer like the Demons do in MP (that would suck).  There will be of course players that are skilled enough to slaughter absolute noobs;   I just hope in those instances they can't grief the same player over and over again.  My bet is that you get one try (kill or be killed) then have to move on to the next player.

As for demon selection, something tells me you get to pick your demon and maybe even a sub skin/class.  That way we can play as one of the D4 mancubi if we choose too.  They might even add in the prowler and harvester as well.  We will know more soon.

Edited by Zemini

The game will probably give the player a prompt to enable/disable invasion when they start their campaign for the first time. After that, they can turn it on or off at any time.

20 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I think it should be on by default. What's the point of creating such a mechanic if only a small percentage of the playerbase can even be reached with it?

Please elaborate what you mean by trolling. At the end of the day it's more akin to "an unexpected miniboss", and I'm sure there will be a reason to kill players who invade, such as a points system etc. If your perception of trolling is "having a perfectly reasonable encounter beat you because you're bad at the game" then you need to relearn the term.

Again, to reinforce what I'm saying here - the invaders will be much worse off than you, since they'll be a demon of some kind, such as a Revenant or Mancubus - think about it for a second, you, a fully equipped Doom Slayer with advanced movement techniques, powerful weaponry which can cover just about every situation, vs a couple of demons with the equivalent of "better AI". Yeah, no brainer.

Also you could just chainsaw them, heh.

Turn off/unplug the Wifi > done

19 hours ago, Chickensoup101 said:

I didn't mean it in a creepy way. Imagine playing as a fragile Imp and you use hit and run tactics to kill the player. You hide, follow the player around and when you see an opportunity you throw a fireball and then run away to any part of the level.

5 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I didn't mean it in a creepy way. Imagine playing as a fragile Imp and you use hit and run tactics to kill the player. You hide, follow the player around and when you see an opportunity you throw a fireball and then run away to any part of the level.

I like this tactic~ 

An idea i wondered if it could work is playable demons having skins.

On one hand, they brought back older designs because they stand out better than some items in 2016 and it'd take a lot of effort with the destructible demons thing.

But the fact that some demons would look different could make them stand out better than just having the player's name above said demon.

Still, depending on how many enemy types are in the game and whether or not they get "exclusive" abilities (Caco tongue, Rev actually having homing rockets, Pinky being also a Spectre) it'd take a lot of work and probably not be a good idea.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:36 AM, Chickensoup101 said:

you have been losered

The whole idea of the invasion mechanic has my stomach knotted up in excitement.  I just hope we can invade as nearly any demon with the obvious exception of scripted boss encounters.

Edited by Zemini

37 minutes ago, Zemini said:

The who idea of the invasion mechanic has my stomach knotted up in excitement.  I just hope we can invade as nearly any demon with the obvious exception of scripted boss encounters.

Makes me wonder how playable former humans would work. I’d imagine they’d be able to use their guns and whatnot, and maybe some other things so they’re not pathetically weak.

There needs to be incentive to play as a Zombie or else everyone will jsut pick Arch Vile (or the strongest demon).  Maybe you collect souls or something and different souls ranks can buy different monsters?  And using a Zombie or Soldier actually gives you points for the stronger demons if you cause damage?