Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Levity In Doom Games

Post things in Doom games that always make you laugh or at least crack a smile. 

For me it's when I'm standing in front of a doorway and clearing the room from a distance and just when I think the room is controlled enough for me to enter and finish it, a Cacodemon casually floats by me point blank range while the door is open with that bigass smile and doesn't even attack and continues floating by.  It's almost like it's saying "don't forget I'm still here too you dumbass!"

Firing a lone BFG shot into a crowd of 8 people in deathmatch and killing most/all of them - Even better if its a lone, well placed rocket. I also love seeing absurd chains of events in DM games, someone fires a rocket, gets shot, but as they're dying their rocket hits some barrels or something and scores them a double kill.

So many funny chains of events happen in DM, coupled with the fast pace and high kill count it's one of the factors that keeps me coming back!

Definitely slicing through five or six zombiemen with a SSG. Near the beginning of Map 03 in DOOM II is always great for this.

Punching a Baron to death always makes me crack a smile as well.

On a similar note, I recently finished off two Cybers with a single SSG blast. That definitely made me laugh out loud. I don't think it qualifies for this list though because it's unlikely to happen again for me any time soon, haha.

Oh, there are so many things!

• When small/weak enemies pin down a larger one and kill it while it is helpless
  • When I death-slide under a major health pickup.
  • 42phHype.png.5e2d98e42b5dde2d047d092c6f2e754d.png
  • This one is oddly specific. If I'm playing a slaughtermap, and circlestrafing say a half-dozen or more cybers, and I run out of ammo and switch to a weapon far too weak for the task at hand... As I run away to find more ammo, I will fire a single pistol or shotgun round into the horde and say "pew!" (not too strange, since I'm usually streaming). If I actually kill something with that shot, then it makes me lol.

I just remembered a silly situation while playing a PWAD: I was about to deal the finishing blow to an arch-vile, when a recently resurrected zombieman shot it in the back and killed it. The zombieman took the SSG blow instead :)

I also remember seeing a mancubus harm another mancubus with a 'splodey barrel, and trying to infight with it. At the time, I was too new to the game to understand that a manc couldn't actually harm another manc directly, so I watched for a while before losing patience and killing both. :-P

Watching pinky demons try to infight with enemies and not being able to land a hit.

4 hours ago, Optimus said:

Dead bodies sliding/climbing stairs

+ hearing Revenants punching enemies, that sound is always fun to hear :v .

And when a gang of demons is after me only for someone inside it to screw something up (but in my favor) so that they start fighting each other instead while I either hide somewhere or watch them die.

54 minutes ago, MTF Sergeant said:

Exploding barrels while demons are surrounding it.

Then you must love the beginning of E1M8.

5 hours ago, Optimus said:

Dead bodies sliding/climbing stairs

Similar, but when facing an enemy that's dead state is just bloody and on its back (like sergeants or imps, for example), shooting that enemy on a ledge and having it die and fall off the ledge. But since there's only one dead state, the monster kind of looks like it flops down in mid-air.

• A Hell Knight or Baron of Hell gibbing zombies and imps with their bitch slap melee attack.
  • When facing a large amount of monsters surrounding a Spiderdemon, i circle strafe around the horde triggering infighting, and said Spiderdemon is killed by infighting alone. Mastermind of the demon invasions my ass.
  • Revenants boxing Pinkies and losing to them.
  • A Cyberdemon killed by a zombieman.
  • Firing the BFG into a crowd in DM and nobody gets fragged by it.
  • Berzerk! Punching an exploding barrel, and said barrel slides mid explosion into a nearby mid tier monster like a Hell Knight or Revenant killing it.

• Two Brutal Doom Imps attempting to in-fight and getting locked a joint jump-attack animation which cannot cause either of them damage. They continue to play 'pattercake, pattercake, bakers man' for as long as you leave them alone.
  • A zombieman landing a killing strike on a pinky just as it gets in your face.
  • An Imp being assigned the Pink colour by the Colourful Hell mod. It changes its name to Pimp in the targeting reticule. (Pinkies can change to 'Greenie' etc. as well)
  • Doing a backwards jumping dodge in the middle of a combat that accidently takes you over a key that would be out of reach in Vanilla Doom, causing accidental sequence break in the level.
  • Dealing no damage with a BFG shot. (though this is a deadpan Ha...ha... hah...)

2 hours ago, Gez said:

A chaingunner behind a barrel, blowing itself up.

I tend to set that up, but with lost souls.

When I'm on a narrow, elevated pillar platform and I'm firing rockets ad nauseam across the room at a hoard of enemies, only to take a few steps back, forget where the ledge is, and fall - sending a barrage of rockets into the wall that is now 2 feet in front of my face.

Good times.

(Bonus points for letting out the over-the-top, comical death scream or getting gibbed)

One of the best moments I remember was playing a WAD where there were some ramparts with barrels along the edge, and a lost soul that'd lauched itself at my prior position from afar ended up hitting a barrel, blowing it up, and getting its exploding remains launched back in the direction whence it came.

2 hours ago, Solmyr said:
  • Revenants boxing Pinkies and losing to them.

'Bout this part, I could be wrong but weren't Pinkies too short for them to reach with a punch? I think I've witnessed a few such instances.

2 hours ago, Solmyr said:
  • Firing the BFG into a crowd in DM and nobody gets fragged by it.

Funny, MP or not I get extremely angry when I blast a group of enemies and almost no one dies. I'll never learn to use the BFG effectively...

21 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Bout this part, I could be wrong but weren't Pinkies too short for them to reach with a punch? I think I've witnessed a few such instances.

No, in vanilla Doom explosions and reach of melee attacks are infinitely tall, in source ports that only happens if they are infighting in different elevations like a stair or slope, but i've witnessed Demons trying to bite Revenants and doing no damage to them standing at the same height and right next to them.

Edited by Solmyr

1 hour ago, Odal said:

When I'm on a narrow, elevated pillar platform and I'm firing rockets ad nauseam across the room at a hoard of enemies, only to take a few steps back, forget where the ledge is, and fall - sending a barrage of rockets into the wall that is now 2 feet in front of my face.

Good times.

That sounds like it would be a perfect candidate for the Dumbest Death thread. It's even written in fitting fashion.

When you shoot a charging lost soul, and while slowly drifting backward it bumps on some other monster and damages it. (Because yes, it's still technically in "charge mode" so it still causes damage on contact.)

Bonus points if it kills said other monsters. The bigger and badder, the better.

21 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

• 42phHype.png.5e2d98e42b5dde2d047d092c6f2e754d.png

Spoiler

doom00.png

42% health and 72 armor xdd.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, KVELLER said:

I just remembered a silly situation while playing a PWAD: I was about to deal the finishing blow to an arch-vile, when a recently resurrected zombieman shot it in the back and killed it. The zombieman took the SSG blow instead :)

There was one time I was fighting a Cyberdemon, and a forgotten zombie soldier from behind gave the final blow. I was laughing hysterically! It's a pity I wasn't recording back then.