Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaZzZeux

"I Give Up On Trying To Map 2" (Actually going to finish this map this time)

So I've been meaning to make something (and release it) for over 10 years... As originally planned I am going to make a sequel to that map, which was always my intention (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/g-i/igiveup).

Then, and even playing it now it is a way over-detailed monstrosity, and though I am keeping #2 in similar style, I am toning down on that and trying to fit in some larger rooms. This is still heavily a work in progress, but I do hope to get it done and posted by the end of the month. 

Screenshot_Doom_20171102_211910.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171102_211931.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171102_211944.png

@MegaZzZeux I remember the first one and also felt it was overdetailed, so I'm glad you've come to the same conclusion :). That said it was I believe the fashion at the time to cram as much filigree detail into maps as possible.

wow holy hell I remember your name from back in the Doom Connector days maybe? could have been STO days. cool to see you back here. map shots look great :D

7 minutes ago, Tango said:

wow holy hell I remember your name from back in the Doom Connector days maybe? could have been STO days. cool to see you back here. map shots look great :D

All the above ;) (Also Doom Connector is still alive, and lots of people are showing back up again)

I appreciate all the positive comments so far everyone, it's definitely helps encourage me. lol

Nice! 

Keep up the good work MegaZzZeux!

That was also one of the best things about Doom Connector, play testing maps.

Actually, let me know if you want to play test at some point and I'll jump on.

Cheers!

Yo Mega! I remember when you released the original I Give Up. Good to see you're back to mapping! Stick around this time, ya hear?

On 11/20/2017 at 8:45 AM, Ryath said:

Yo Mega! I remember when you released the original I Give Up. Good to see you're back to mapping! Stick around this time, ya hear?

Definitely trying! This is still going to be a short map, and had to take some time from working on it, but I WILL release it...eventually.

So started this back in October/November, and like usual I stopped. Decided to pick up on it the other day again. Once I get more made I will post some new screenshots.

Never give up! Post more screenshots, so that we can encourage you some more!

I appreciate all of the positive vibes/likes. I still wonder if I could ever get the hang of Doom Builder, if doing stuff would be easier than still using WadAuthor a million years later...

Even I got the hang of Doom Builder. In my opinion you can get used to almost everything, if you are just persistent and use it enough. (Well, maybe except Laptop Keyboards, I still hate those...)

Somehow I am keeping momentum going, and usually I get all areas 100% detailed with monsters and uh detail...but I am sort of getting the main flow built and then planning to go back and fix stuff up. new pictures should be coming in the next few days.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, elend said:

(Well, maybe except Laptop Keyboards, I still hate those...)

Heh I bought a new laptop recently and moved my doom dev folder to it and have been trying to learn the ins and outs of gzdoom builder bugfix, I am fine with using a laptop keyboard personally, then again i wanted to buy a pretty big one because I greatly benefit from a bigger screen since my vision is relatively poor, so it has a bigger keyboard as well.

Also @MegaZzZeux don't pull a me, make sure you actually get your maps done :) Maybe don't focus entirely on details when first making the map, make the basic layout first then add gje finer details later

On 8/19/2018 at 8:36 PM, therektafire said:

Also @MegaZzZeux don't pull a me, make sure you actually get your maps done :) Maybe don't focus entirely on details when first making the map, make the basic layout first then add gje finer details later

Yeah I will. And I like to finish an area and move on usually... but so far taking a different approach is helping!

Well, at this point I'm really unsure I'll ever get the time to truly finish another Doom map...This one is no exception. If anybody would like a copy of it, and would like to finish it or whatever. Just reply here. 

Aww man. Don‘t give up. If you don‘t find the time  now, then just wait a little bit. Until your retirement if you must. But don‘t throw it away. Even if someone continues working on it, it‘s just not the same.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:34 PM, elend said:

Aww man. Don‘t give up. If you don‘t find the time  now, then just wait a little bit. Until your retirement if you must. But don‘t throw it away. Even if someone continues working on it, it‘s just not the same.

Nah, like I'm really done mapping...I have so much in life that needs focusing on, and this will seriously end up in the trash...so I'm hoping someone can give it a proper finish before I do.

Sad to hear but understandable. Good luck with your future endeavours and all the best!