Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

DOOM Eternal Gameplay Reveal Impressions

Now that I think about it more

The "new" mancubus aggravates me a little, as I loved the 2016 edition and I believe that Doom needs a new aesthetic now. Instead we get the accordion gun and armorless fatass back

23 minutes ago, Dear Hoplite said:

Now that I think about it more

The "new" mancubus aggravates me a little, as I loved the 2016 edition and I believe that Doom needs a new aesthetic now. Instead we get the accordion gun and armorless fatass back

Can't please everybody all the time

Consider it like saving throw. You can continue immediately instead of starting from the last save point.

Lives will be handy if you open your game to invaders. Definitely break the flow of that old school experience of having to Start from the beginning or your last save. 

3 hours ago, igg said:

Consider it like saving throw. You can continue immediately instead of starting from the last save point.

so its kind of like that thing on the new God of War game?

On 8/13/2018 at 9:11 AM, Xfing said:

Funny. I thought they were actually a decent player.

If so, then maybe they were playing with a joystick, because it reminded me of the D16 demo :/

On 8/13/2018 at 11:59 PM, Linguica said:

I sort of wonder if the Revenant is going to appear as a regular enemy in Doom Eternal, since in Doom 2016 the lore was that they were specifically created by the scientists in the Lazarus Labs, and thus wouldn't be on Earth.

well you dont think they will have bigger labs with more "productions" on Earth ?

4 minutes ago, Linheli said:

well you dont think they will have bigger labs with more "productions" on Earth ?

Bigger production facilities yes, but the Revenant program seemed to be in trial mode on mars. Either it was pre approved and production quickly started on Earth or they took the research and hastily began testing again.

Did we see Revenants in any footage? I wouldn't be surprised if they were reworked.

25 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Bigger production facilities yes, but the Revenant program seemed to be in trial mode on mars. Either it was pre approved and production quickly started on Earth or they took the research and hastily began testing again.

Did we see Revenants in any footage? I wouldn't be surprised if they were reworked.

Flesh zombies modified with mechanic parts and mini cannon could easily spotted entire gameplay pretty much guarantee if not more advanced Revenant on Earth.  UAC Corp definitely has brought Argent Energy technology into this melting pot of the universere to create more demonic abomination haha.

Why can't the demons ever get a variety of skins? Why does every demon have to look the exact same?

33 minutes ago, ATP2555 said:

Why can't the demons ever get a variety of skins? Why does every demon have to look the exact same?

Do you know how much additional work that would take?

I'm very confused about Revenants in new Doom, the Revenant is apparently a UAC unit and can actively be seen fighting other demons (particularly in the "Hell" sections) yet also seem openly hostile to both UAC forces and the Doom Slayer.

What the hell is the new Revenant's role? Why is it like that? Is there multiple factions within the UAC fighting it out (like Olivia's and Hayden's sects)? If the Revenant wasn't made to fight demons but to aid them then why is it seen actively attacking hell's forces? I want answers because it doesn't make sense.

40 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Do you know how much additional work that would take?

They need as much additional work as they can get. I want Eternal to be big.

27 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I'm very confused about Revenants in new Doom, the Revenant is apparently a UAC unit and can actively be seen fighting other demons (particularly in the "Hell" sections) yet also seem openly hostile to both UAC forces and the Doom Slayer.

He fights Hell forces because he is trained to do so.

He fights the Slayer because he kills any demonic lifeforms which makes him a serious threat for the Revenant.

Where have you seen him fighting UAC forces? I can't remember. Nevertheless my explanation would be UAC forces consider him demonically corrupted which make them a threat for him too.

26 minutes ago, ATP2555 said:

They need as much additional work as they can get. I want Eternal to be big.

Let's not get too entitled. At QuakeCon Hugo and friends talked about there being something like half a dozen teams working on this thing.

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

Let's not get too entitled. At QuakeCon Hugo and friends talked about there being something like half a dozen teams working on this thing.

Yeah, let's be reasonable. Though they could probably do something that randomizes the variants or whatever.

2 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Plus, it might ruin the recognizability of the monsters. In Doom it's super important that you immediately recognize what you are facing. So all that extra work would go to making the game worse.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

Plus, it might ruin the recognizability of the monsters. In Doom it's super important that you immediately recognize what you are facing. So all that extra work would go to making the game worse.

Agreed, but slight variations—muscularity, textures, overall size—might be doable in a procedural way. It's not something I'm expecting, but it would be interesting. We did get a few variants in Doom '16 such as the cyber-mancubus.

33 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Agreed, but slight variations—muscularity, textures, overall size—might be doable in a procedural way. It's not something I'm expecting, but it would be interesting. We did get a few variants in Doom '16 such as the cyber-mancubus.

Still not worth the extra development time and money.

9 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Still not worth the extra development time and money.

Agreed, they could use that resources for something else that's worth the time and adds something more substantial to the experience.

When you've got characters whose faces have 10,000+ polygons, there's no way that isn't a lot of work. We underestimate how much goes into modern game graphics.

I will definitely have a lot of fun with this game and I like the new chain-blade weapon thing. However I made a joke in the past that all indie games have to have a double jump and dash, haha; I probably could do without those mechanics in Doom Eternal.

I just watched the video yesterday, so these are my initial thoughts (and I haven't read through pages 4 - 11 of this thread to see if any of these have been said).

• They made the Doom Slayer a jacked, overpowered-looking, near cartoon version of the idea behind the character.
    • At least they acknowledged this by saying that you just want to kick ass as a bad ass demon slayer.
    • id evidently does not want you to feel trifled by being just a slightly stronger version of a normal space marine.
  • That archvile is also jacked. So much for the skeletal healer with a nasty flame attack of games past.
  • The music wasn't that engaging to me. At least, compared with the music they laid over the short E3 clip.
  • "Here at id, we're all about lore."
    • I chuckled at that. I wonder if John Carmack is sitting somewhere shaking his head.
  • The Doomslayer is kind of a dick. Or has less personality than a turnip.
    • He just drags the guy over by the keycard around his neck.
    • He just stares at the guard and takes his gun.
    • I know he's the Doomslayer, but he could at least say something like, "I need that." or "Thank you."
  • Shooting grappling hooks into cacodemons and using them as an anchor to swing around seems like a potentially interesting dynamic. I wonder if it gets taken advantage of at some point without being cartoon-y.
  • I wonder how you end up with the Crucible, since Hayden had it at the end of the previous game.
  • I don't know if the pictures were concept art of in-game graphics, but the shots of what some of the different levels looked like--they looked nice.
  • My first impression of the way they described Invasion seemed like you could just enter some other random person's campaign (provided they were online) while they were playing and proceed to try to kill them.
    • Which would be a really dick thing to do, if you think about it.
    • Setting things up with a few friends to come and try to hunt you would be more reasonable.
  • Will they have the Snapmap editor again? I don't recall seeing anything about that.
  • What's the origin of all the demon-friendly slogans and voiceovers? ("Some find the word demon offensive." or "Please be aware that the environment may have changed.")
    • They just seemed odd, almost like they were trying to add a bit of levity to the game to relieve the tension momentarily.

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

What the hell is the new Revenant's role? Why is it like that? Is there multiple factions within the UAC fighting it out (like Olivia's and Hayden's sects)? If the Revenant wasn't made to fight demons but to aid them then why is it seen actively attacking hell's forces? I want answers because it doesn't make sense.

That sounds like infighting to me. Just like in the originals, the Revenant was an easy way to stir up some shit since those seeker missles are easy to lead.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:
  • The Doomslayer is kind of a dick. Or has less personality than a turnip.
    • He just drags the guy over by the keycard around his neck.
    • He just stares at the guard and takes his gun.
    • I know he's the Doomslayer, but he could at least say something like, "I need that." or "Thank you."

Don't you think that would kill the mood? An armed man tries to stop him, Slayer stares him down, he flinches, Slayer snatches the gun and says "Much obliged my good man nyah nyah hahahah". Obviously an exaggeration but Slayer is too bad ass to talk.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I just watched the video yesterday, so these are my initial thoughts (and I haven't read through pages 4 - 11 of this thread to see if any of these have been said).

• They made the Doom Slayer a jacked, overpowered-looking, near cartoon version of the idea behind the character.
    • At least they acknowledged this by saying that you just want to kick ass as a bad ass demon slayer.
    • id evidently does not want you to feel trifled by being just a slightly stronger version of a normal space marine.

I liked the original space marine because he's not some overpowered ancient martian warrior in modified power armor.  Just some run of the mill grunt survived the original chaos and kicked Hell's ass on more than one occasion. Doesn't that count for something? This has to be Bethesda's handy work. They love taking other people's ideas and making their own versions out of them while barely keeping to the franchise canon. Doom 3 introduced us to ancient martian civilization and their war through the artifacts dug up on Mars. Doom 2016 you basically play as such a relic since no human could survive that shit and Bethidsda says this is a reboot and totes original!!111! (Which explains why the "Doomslayer" can't speak the universal language, Engrish). Also.. Why "Doomslayer?" It sounds like something a 12 year old could come up with on XBO as their gamer ID tag.. Anyone gonna help my oldschool mind make sense of this?

As for the main subject, I love the plasma rifle reincarnation. Nice and beefy, and I hope it hurts the demons more this time.