Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

How about a Doomworld interview?

Exactly what I was thinking about today, hell I wonder if hugo silently scours doomworld from time to time. 

I was originally thinking this would be a terrible idea, but after thinking for a while it would probably be fantastic since people around here seem to have a lot of questions and very different opinions from one another. A beautiful, in depth interview could easily come out of this, but yeah like @Touchdown said now is not the time, maybe in the future when they can talk more freely about it than keep most of the surprises under wraps.

5 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Every interesting/meaningful question would get the same response: "We can't talk about that right now."

Sorry for pesimism but i belive Touchdown here answered our question.

Well just have to wait...thats kinda the point by my logic enyway..

I do however defenetly recall that Martin was saying he reads everything on Redit and Doomworld...im 100% i hear him say that in one of the interwievs for Doom 2016

5 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Every interesting/meaningful question would get the same response: "We can't talk about that right now."

Yeah, but interviews about content are boring anyway, for that you just want to watch footage (or read one of the 5000 professional outfits that publish exactly that).

Info about the company itself and their process is different. What elements of the original are sources of inspiration, which elements are loathsome? Who is responsible for [awesome thing]? Call them on some bullshit like what the fuck is with quake champions being structured for you to spend more time in menus than playing the game (approx 15 min menus/loading for every 10 minute match).

To be avoided would be masturbation questions like, "Doomworld is known for [x] and..." or "were you aware that Doomworld has [y]..."

Not that they'll do an interview though, just fantasizing a bit.

@vorpal

If they agreed then maybe we could start a thread where we could ask a few questions. The best ones would be compiled and send to the devs.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Hugo and Marty owe me nothing—what would be the purpose of me having the opportunity to ask questions?

Of course they owe us nothing but that doesn't mean they can't find it interesting. 

I feel like we should keep our mouths shut and just enjoy what they give us. We don't own the IP, it's not our baby. 

Hi! I'm a microphone fish nice to meet you. Figured I should weigh in, here.

Doom Radio obviously doesn't hold the keys to this space so whether my lazy ass decides to take interest in this sort of thing is plainly irrelevant, but just in case anyone is interested: I do think some of the members of Doomworld are uniquely positioned to ask some very interesting questions about the details behind Doom Eternal and "2016." And sure, I would be interested in playing host to an interview. These sorts of things are definitely best done post game release, however, if what you're looking for is an exploration of ideas and behind-the-scenes goings and you're not just probing for content, which, if I'm honest, would just be a waste of everyone's time. Trying to work the only worthwhile angle of discussion at a time when id has all their papers spread on what sort of things they are or are not willing to talk about and how they want to talk about them will probably just result in some seriously hamstrung exchanges. Why should it make a difference if Doomworld comes knocking?

After the game's release we can really tee something up. I probably should have done something like this in the second half of 2016, too, come to think of it, although, you know... at this point Doom Radio "probably should have done" a lot of things :)

Edited by Alfonzo

Who would do the interview?

What would be the questions?

If it's about Doom Eternal, is it safe to assume that what we would hear back at this point would be the "marketing talk"?

I would be more interested in asking about the dev team and game development, to be honest. But that's just me trying to get into the industry.

Also, I think we're in a better position to ask less about Doom Eternal and more about Doom in general, what makes the game what it is, its history, where it's headed, etc. This community is perfect for having an interesting discussion with id Software about that sort of thing.

Edited by GuyMcBrofist

I mean you guys have had shoutouts from Willits (EDIT: or maybe it was Stratton) before on live broadcast events, so maybe! Ask them! Never hurts to try!

Edited by Buckshot

Just now, Buckshot said:

I mean you guys have had shoutouts from Willits before on live broadcast events, so I bet they would! Ask them! Never hurts to try!

From Willits? I must have missed them.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

From Willits? I must have missed them.

Yes, there was a live broadcast event related to DOOM 2016 sometime back where it was either Willits or Stratton who directly mentioned Doomworld and thanked them for all the support over the years (it was a groups and community support comment in general, but Doomworld was mentioned directly). 

48 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

Yes, there was a live broadcast event related to DOOM 2016 sometime back where it was either Willits or Stratton who directly mentioned Doomworld and thanked them for all the support over the years (it was a groups and community support comment in general, but Doomworld was mentioned directly). 

Ah, yes. Marty mentioned us at the Video Game Awards.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:46 PM, DoomedFox said:

Exactly what I was thinking about today, hell I wonder if hugo silently scours doomworld from time to time. 

They have to. I have worked in game development for several years (some AAA) and there's always a point where you resort to reading the forums.

This one being one of the oldest Doom related forums, I'd be pretty confident they've read posts from here many times along the years.

I think a Doomworld AMA style interview would be nice, however I don't think they'll be able to reveal much more than what they already revealed in other interviews, an interview post-release would be better I think, they may even be kind enough to reveal stuff that may go unused or scrapped concepts, beta stuff...etc (If it ever happens of course).

It would be nice if they did do an interview. But it's understandable if they have other things to do like the lurk for feedback. I could see them being more open to one after the game is released. Being asked all the big questions ahead of release might be problematic. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:12 PM, Eligos said:

Remember kids, id is always watching.

Guess they would be having countless interviews about DE pending at the moment, I guess they might hesitate coming here.