• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

3 hours ago, Deadwing said:

(Map19 & Map20)

(Valiant > Aaliens)

Map20 is kind of rough to be honest. I don't think it's only the problem of ammo. Health and armor supplies are also quite tight in on this map. It seems this map received some criticism due to this and the design of the traps. I feel this map is fine, but it's definitely not very friendly. It's quite interesting because AD usually likes to put up friendly maps. I don't really like Map19 either since I suck at punching. I think I could enjoy it more because my skill got improved quite a bit throughout the last year because of speedrunning.

I think Ancient Aliens offers more traditional gameplay because there are less customized things than Valiant. I don't like the part that you need to adjust your habits to play Valiant (2 shots Imps, faster Demons etc.), but gameplay wise, both WADs are pretty good. How do you feel about the difficulty? I think Valiant is harder.

8 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It's quite interesting because AD usually likes to put up friendly maps.

But he can sure make it obvious when he wants you dead too :v . What map was it in Team Rocket that had only pillars, platforms on the floor, and a damaging blood floor as far as the eye can see.

^I feel like AD did those as a reaction to a lot of unnecessary criticism to his maps. I'm not sure. Some of the later maps in 50mon are also kind of rough, but I still think they are fair enough. However, the thing is that not that many players are willing to research a map before rage quitting the game.

SSG is actually pretty good and safer than rockets to deal with Cyberdemons! :D 

As far as I played, the guests maps are notably different from the skillsaw maps. No way he would do something like maps 9 and 23 haha 20 and 22 are more similar, but 20 has the tight resources that @GarrettChan related and 22 flows better. (without so much traps)

Not sure which one (AA vs Valiant) is harder, but Valiant wasn't much hard early on or in the last episode (while AA had some really difficult early maps for me lmao and then got easier). Relating gameplay changes, Valiant felt less gimmickey, although the dehacked changes speeds up the pace and indeed could have been refered as a departure of traditional gameplay.

9 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

^I feel like AD did those as a reaction to a lot of unnecessary criticism to his maps. I'm not sure.

Such as? I'm not familiar with the said unnecessary criticism he's experienced.

@Deadwing Of course, they don't even take splash damage, only direct hits affect them. So SSG is power 👊.

I finished PSX Doom TC today. They should've used more Plutonia maps, even though they're easier by at least an order of magnitude.

I'll play the Lost Levels eventually.

I'm still on Eternal Doom, only on MAP12.

I'm definitely going to need a breather after Plutonia 2, this final stretch is nuts. MAP22 Locus Perditus wasn't too bad though.

Speaking of skillsaw, I keep discovering new stuff of his I still haven't played yet... Lunatic! I'll have to check that one out soon.

Edited by Xeogred

5 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

@Aquila ChrysaetosPlutonia levels are actually EASIER than those from the other DooM games on PSX? That sure is not how it fares on the PC.

Well, yes, but I was comparing PSX Plutonia against PC Plutonia.

PSX Plutonia doesn't have shotgunners prolifically like the (frankly terrible) Master Levels and TNT do. It uses more revenants and hell knights with about the same number of chaingunners.

Also, there are only six Plutonia maps in PSX, compared against the 13 Master Levels and 13 TNT maps.

PSX Plutonia is still better than PSX TNT, which is itself better than PC TNT, amazingly.

I Play Oblige Mega Wad With My Cybernetics Monsters (Like The Cyber Imp), The Monsters Of The Lord Kaiser :v

3 hours ago, Catpho said:

I've never tried the PSX ports.  What are they like? What's the difference?

They're total conversions which are quite faithful to the real deal, using their sounds, monsters, movement speed, colored lightning, weapons, menus, and so on.

Finishing up AA: Ok, I guess I now think AA > Valiant lol These later maps were all awesome for me, with impeccable pacing and very little annoyances.

24: The map everyone talks about. Very unique and different from the rest of the set. Felt like playing a Spyro level in Doom lol It also definetly doesn't feel like skillsaw because there's a lot less space to move than usual, and there was some cool exploration to it without many annoying things or tricky setpieces bar some snipers very far away. If feels like this thematic could've been an episode itself haha

25: Fun little psychedelic map. A little hard to find where to go in the beginning, but the candles + armor bonus helped a lot. It was a fairly easy map too.

26: Very fun non-linear level, with some cool optional areas. I also ended up finding all the secrets haha. The Partial invisibility was really useful here, especially due to all these chaingunners around, which were a bit annoying, but I ended up enjoying a lot anyway.

27: Another very exploratory map. I felt a bit lost, and I'm not sure if that red door was really necessary here? But thinking now maybe this level is more non-linear than I think. I ended up being lost looking for the rk, but I was just missing a "hidden" path in the initial area.

28: Fun slaughter map, which I usually don't enjoy much. It not hard, as long you keep an eye to the Arch-villes and let in-fight do the rest. Actually finding where to go is a lot harder lol Not sure how I lowered that floor which reveals 4-5 archies and leads to the weird moving floors area haha

29: Another fun and relatively easy slaughter map with a cool lore reveal. Loved especially the Doomguy's face randomly in a pc screen haha

30: Cool ending level, with a secret twist in the story. Much better than an Icon of Sin map =x

So far, the levels I've enjoyed most: 1, 8, 10, 16, 22, 24 to 30.

Edited by Deadwing

@Deadwing MAP30 surprised me back when I first played AA, didn't expect a return to the start with a "Thank you for playing". Basically MAP29 is the one that acts like a final battle. An IoS battle would've been anti-climatic, just look at what happened to Epic 2, but perhaps you could blow up a reactor or something a la MAP18 if they were going to take this route.

Glad you liked the remaining levels, it appears I was indeed right, there's no more nasty levels like MAP18 in the last part of the game. The difficulty curve in AA works kinda backwards, starting difficult and by the time you reach MAP20 it gets easier with no more spikes. I remember seeing a similar difficulty curve in another megawad? I'm not sure, but I did mention this in one of my reviews, I just no longer remember which one.

And I just knew you'll eventually reach the same conclusion (AA > Valiant), I think you can see why now.

Playing through 2048 unleashed. Completed the first three maps, at the fourth level currently.

The verdict so far: some good looking levels (though why hide the red key switch behind an anonymous pillar on the third level ?) On the second map -before you get the ssg- you fight a whooping four chaingunners in a rather square room without much protection. The fact that you can see them in ambush at level start doesn't alleviate much.

The first map also ran afoul of this by having chaingunners shooting from a slit in a dark room above the players head. - though this seemed intentional somehow as the staircase below them took up the main focus at that point. I know I read some theory about the best place to put a monster alcove placement is by staircases.

The teleporting monsters also seem to have trouble reaching their teleporting linedefs, this was apparent on the first level.

The ssg seems to be sole the secret on map02.

Still on Eternal Doom. It's taking an eternity to finish.

Spoiler

gx5SCav.png

The ultimate tantalization in MAP31. I got lost here and took fifty minutes to finish this one.

5hXzrrH.png

I'm starting MAP19 tomorrow and I've put in six hours already, but these maps today weren't very annoying.

Finally conquered Plutonia 2. Anyone know anything about the development for this one? The last set of maps were way different but not exactly in a bad way. It got less slaughter and easier towards the end which I appreciated. The later teens and early 20's were the toughest for me probably. I guess I can safely say I love RED maps too, which was all over in the last set of maps. Some annoying switch hunts in Map 29 though. The Icon of Sin Map 30 fight was incredible like I've heard, really cool setup.

Took me about 8 hours 23 minutes for this one.

Everything I've beaten this year so far:

Hellbound (PC) [12hr][Complex|HMP]
Sawdust (PC) [50min][UV]
Back to Saturn X EP1 (PC) [7hr][Complex|UV]
Back to Saturn X EP2 (PC) [7h30m][Complex|HMP]
Plutonia 2 (PC) [8h23m][UV]

I played through Annie the other day. Overall I'd give it a solid recommend, but for a couple flaws. The mapset has a very oppressive feel to it, between the dark textures used throughout, the towering verticality of most of the geometry, or the fog that limits your sightlines in the occasional outdoor section. The author wisely sticks to the vanilla bestiary for the most part, with the one new enemy aside from Annie herself, a rocket launcher packing trooper, being used relatively sparingly (it was quite a rude shock when they made their first appearance near the end of the first map). For the most part, they're used pretty well; the only time I thought the placement was particularly suspect was a particularly crappy placement next to a narrow door opening, and in that case the rocket trooper just ended up splattering itself and its allies all over the wall. I enjoyed a lot of the setpiece encounters in this set, particularly the ones in MAP03; I'd say MAP03 is the one to play if you only had to choose one map to play. The only real sore spot in the WAD is the encounter with Annie herself at the end, due to the lack of cover in the arena, and the fact that the fight can either be blisteringly hard, or relatively trivial depending on whether you have freelook enabled or not.

Other than that, I'd say I had a good time with this set. Really solid episode all around, and at 12 years development time, would be a shoo-in for the Mordeth award if the Millennium maps didn't come out of hibernation this year.

I beat Sacrament yesterday, pretty decent in everything else other than action, that part was missing in a few maps, specifically in the sprawling bigger and linear outings by Azamael, fantastic visual design at least. Since "adventure" was the aim, that's an achievement for sure, but some of the maps like Doxylamine etc could have communicated the ideas a little bit clearer, if we're entitled to solve a pickup hunt. Standout would be the last map, it was incredible, one of the best atmospheric maps I've ever played, and excellent music choice. Sure, somewhat confusing to navigate, but I enjoyed the darkness in the context of no lighting besides lava, under an eclipsed moon at night.

So now I'm going to play Community Chest 2 with glboom+, and hopefully it'll be less erratic than its prequel. 

Well, Exomoon just as I told @Deadwing I will after I am done with what I have on the plate.

I like it so far, but seriously damn those AV traps lol. You've probably notice in my past broadcast how I kept dying in very specific areas in a certain map :v .

I wanted a bit more variety in another megawad, so I'm finally checking out the Japanese Community Project and this thing rocks! It's definitely got a different flavor in cool ways in the style and some texturing. I'm glad it doesn't seem too slaughter heavy either yet, since I wanted a break from that after Plutonia 2. The music is excellent as well. Seems well reviewed so I think this will be a fun ride for the whole thing.

Currently plowing through MAYhem 2018: Orange Version. Will move on to the Purple one right after.

Loving it a lot so far, unusual color-themed maps have a soft spot in my heart.

Afterwards I'll probably play the recently released Avacator.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Well, Exomoon just as I told @Deadwing I will after I am done with what I have on the plate.

I like it so far, but seriously damn those AV traps lol. You've probably notice in my past broadcast how I kept dying in very specific areas in a certain map :v .

I just finished watching the whole stream, and yeah, map 6 has two nasty traps with AV >.<

There's a fairly good amount of AV's in the wad (although I've tried to pace them a bit), but in the later levels the BFG helps a lot

Edited by Deadwing

Finished Exomoon today and started Combat Shock 2. Great stuff. Also, I LOVE CS2, not to mention the music on Hone Gumi, that's so, SO GOOD in OPL2. 

But I have a question, does it not come with a custom menu background? I've seen one in various YT videos. I initially thought I was using the wrong IWAD so I switched to Plutonia, but same thing. The .txt also says Doom 2 not Final Doom.

In last month complete Magnolia(Hmp, UV hard for me, map01 no ammo...), now play Avactor and Golden Souls 2

Alien: Isolation. Maybe i should have played it when it was released. Visually is stunning even for now and everything related to the sound design is amazing, voice acting, atmospheric sounds and voice acting, but is not only hard, it is unfair, it is flawed in the game design department, otherwise is very good.

1 hour ago, D88M said:

Alien: Isolation. Maybe i should have played it when it was released. Visually is stunning even for now and everything related to the sound design is amazing, voice acting, atmospheric sounds and voice acting, but is not only hard, it is unfair, it is flawed in the game design department, otherwise is very good.

You have confused the topics though mate. This topic is related to Doom, this is the one for other video games: