Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

RHazagV.png

Finished PSX Doom TC. I'm disappointed that they took so many maps from TNT and the Master Levels, but not Plutonia.

I'll pick up the Lost Levels at some point and play it.

@Aquila Chrysaetos Well, I thought the same at first but after finishing the Lost Levels Plutonia doesn't really work in PSX form. TNT and the Master Levels do however.

Btw, how come your gun has more of its back visible? Is that a different SSG from the one included in the main package or something?

2 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Btw, how come your gun has more of its back visible? Is that a different SSG from the one included in the main package or something?

I don't know. I was playing with the same settings I usually do, except for the increased gamma so I could see.

The real PSX Final Doom had an updated SSG sprite (just like how the Final Doom HUD is different), but I believe it's an optional extra in the TC, presumably not enabled by default if you didn't get it Agent. I think PSX Plutonia had its own charm and was definitely distinct from anything else across the two games, but the ones that stick out for nostalgia are Congo, Aztec, and Baron's Lair, which is only half of what they included. A lot of Plutonia's maps were probably quite easily portable (see the GEC project), so looking back although Master Levels and TNT stole the show, I do think they could have got more out of Plutonia.

7 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

The real PSX Final Doom had an update SSG sprite (just like how the Final Doom HUD is different), but I believe it's an optional extra in the TC, presumably not enabled by default if you didn't get it Agent. I think PSX Plutonia had its own charm and was definitely distinct from anything else across the two games, but the ones that stick out for nostalgia are Congo, Aztec, and Baron's Lair, which is only half of what they included. A lot of Plutonia's maps were probably quite easily portable (see the GEC project), so looking back although Master Levels and TNT stole the show, I do think they could have got more out of Plutonia.

I know FD has a gray HUD and a redrawn SSG sprite if that's what you mean, I have both enabled in the options of the launcher, what I don't understand is why more of the back of his weapon is visible, and the skin appears wider or something.

This is how mine looks:

Spoiler

I did some testing and I was able to recreate what you're seeing by enabling "PC status bar aspect ratio." I can see more of the back with it disabled, though still doesn't seem to be as much as Aquila's shot, which seems closer to the original, though still not quite right (notice the black region extending from the face) edit: or maybe that's because of the increased gamma.

Psx-attack-07.png

EDIT: Here's how it appears for me

Screenshot_Doom_20180817_221102.png

I used ZDL to launch the PSXDoom.pk3 with ZDoom32 directly, instead of using the .bat, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, I picked Ancient Aliens back up, still going through from pistol start on each map.

I broke a small part of one of the arenas in MAP10, somehow.

RXj2A7k.png

And I caught a beautiful scene in MAP11.

vVJzlNP.png

Stopped on MAP12 because I need to jump on Scythe X for Doomworld Megawad Club. I'll probably get back to it tomorrow after I inevitably become frustrated with Eternal Doom.

Just started making my second map, here's some screenshots of it:Screenshot_Doom_20180818_174458.png.e15f7d53255a47d792e0cf4f2bfc838a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180818_174317.png.6bddade1f6522b96a4788266618ab8ff.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180818_174421.png.5ba9f9d7570307112ae32385cf7805e2.png

There's another pic that I want to show but it doesn't seem to upload for some reason. I'll try to upload it maybe later.

So I 'zerked my first cyberdemon today.

w8HDskH.png

I had to reload and try again so I didn't end up with twenty health. It also turns out that I wasn't supposed to do that, because later I released a Mastermind and a ton of other monsters in this map.

Eternal Doom MAP14.

5 hours ago, A.Gamma said:

Map 2 is done.

Awesome screenshots and one sexy HUD! Seeing new actors there, am I correct presuming those are defined through DECORATE and, as such, this episode would be for ZDoom-based engines?

EDIT: I see now that there are slopes, so I would assume that yes, it is for ZDoom.

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

So I 'zerked my first cyberdemon today.

w8HDskH.png

I had to reload and try again so I didn't end up with twenty health. It also turns out that I wasn't supposed to do that, because later I released a Mastermind and a ton of other monsters in this map.

Eternal Doom MAP14.

That looks like pistols only from Eternal Doom

I'm still thinking about checking that wad, but I've heard the progression is quite obtuse.

If that's true then it's not something I'm willing to deal with.

2 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

It's puzzley/switch hunting in the extreme. I probably would not have the patience for it anymore to be honest.

Oh, exactly what I hate the most. I've played confusing maps before and they weren't worth my time at all.

So in this case, I am definitely not playing it.

Who will win?, Hectic The Fallen Seraphim?, Or Kaiser Her Brother And Lord Of Fire And Tecnology? Place your bets :v

Screenshot_Doom_20180818_164330.png

@Agent6 It does have some pretty good atmosphere though, and a level of environmental storytelling and progression between maps that you don't see often, especially in WADs from that era. It's one of those cases where the positives outweigh the negatives IMO, so I'd say give it a go. After all, the first couple maps should be enough for you to decide whether or not you'll be able to endure its switch hunting.

@Agent6 I enjoyed about 75% of ED the first and last time I played it in 2009, so I'd say it was worth playing. I want to go back to it again someday, but it's a commitment. Shortly after the sprawling and puzzling level design of ED I wanted something focused on pure action, so I played Hell Revealed. Needless to say, I got my action lol.

@Lila Feuer HR is top notch, you should check out some slaughter if you want more action xdd.

But, since the switch hunting is supposedly so extreme it just won't be an enjoyable experience for me, and puzzles are something I'm really no good at either. I guess I'll watch a walkthrough when I have the time for it and if it's bearable I might, just might check it out.