Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Doom Eternal won't have Snapmap

As some of us may know, Doom Eternal will not have Snapmap support in favour of future Singleplayer DLC. For some, no issues as it was a limited tool. However the latest updates did allow map makers to make unique content.

I for one was hoping Snapmap would see a return and be better than ever. Even if it had to be a separate program to download and run, I'm all for it. But if I had to pick... SP DLC unless Snapmap was vastly improved.

Question and Answer in Interview. 27 Minutes 30 seconds in;

2 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Greedy publishers as always.

Marty and Hugo literally stated it was their decision. ZeniMax had nothing to do with it.

Just because people were asking for DLC doesn't mean that it can't also have a map editor, the TES/FO games all have mod tools and editors despite also having DLC.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Just because people were asking for DLC doesn't mean that it can't also have a map editor

Except the demand for SP DLCs was higher than SnapMap.

Edited by Cacodemon345

Then the obvious solution is to contact id Software and tell them you're disappointed at the lack of Snapmap to make them realize there's a demand. Politely, of course.

Well snapmap didn't do as well as id had hoped, early on was... well a bit boring, since it felt a bit limited, but by the last updates when they started to add hell modules, snapmap begun to shine, but i think that it was a bit 'too little, too late' for it, not to mention that it had optimization issues (loading snapmap on xbox one takes 5 minutes, almost feels like you're waiting for a c64 game to load, only this time there are not kickass tunes to make the wait worth it) and at the end of the day a poor replacement for mod support. Sadly, we still don't have mod support for the new game, but SP dlc was expected for D16 and unfortunately id had it's expectations on snapmap and with the multiplayer dlc, so now that id has decided to deliver sp content themselves, well it's a good thing

Also as i understand, snapmap was a John Carmack idea and one of the last projects that he ever worked on at id, maybe now that he's not around to push for it, it was decided to scrap snapmap. This is pure speculation on my part of course, so i might be completely wrong about that

Maybe at teh very least they can add some new stuff for it (such as DE content) in the future.  I woudn't be upset.  But if Hugo is right about "going back to Doom 4 is hard after playing DE!" then I woudln't see much point.

It's unfortunate that Snapmap won't make it into the new game, but if it gets released as a standalone-ish thing (Or as something like  "Doom Eternal Assets Snapmap DLC for Doom 2016") that would be nice if Id/Bethesda continutes to support the community-made content... Even if it a bit of a hassle for people to work with. (But then again, mapping for Classic Doom is a hassle for people to work with too, so... yeah)

The main thing that made me leave Doom 2016 was the massive multiplayer download updates, and how it was shoehorned in with the rest of Doom 2016. At one point it would have required a ~30something GB Steam Update just to play the game again.  Even on a speedy connection that takes hours, and if you're still on DSL (Like I am), it's over 24 hours of nonstop downloading (Of mostly leaving it to download while I work/sleep/Real Life).  ... And even though my speed has improved (with about 0.5~0.6 mb/s average compared to the old ~0.3), that's not the kind of download you want to force down people's throats if you want to maintain a steady player base.

@Traysandor you said about massive multiplayer download updates. True. But I say you something - play new Quake Champions, every update - game must be downloaded from the begening - just great idea :/

EDIT: hah, btw maybe I'll make some DOOM ETERNAL inspired snapmap, I got a little base for it:

20180820203555_1.jpg

20180820203559_1.jpg

20180820203602_1.jpg

20180820203611_1.jpg

Edited by Teder

2 hours ago, Teder said:

@Traysandor you said about massive multiplayer download updates. True. But I say you something - play new Quake Champions, every update - game must be downloaded from the begening - just great idea :/

EDIT: hah, btw maybe I'll make some DOOM ETERNAL inspired snapmap, I got a little base for it:

20180820203555_1.jpg

20180820203559_1.jpg

20180820203602_1.jpg

20180820203611_1.jpg

That's some nice custom geo, my man. Let us know when it's done.

5 hours ago, Teder said:

Reminds me of MAP:29 Odyssey of Noises from The Plutonia Experiment.

8 hours ago, Teder said:

... Yeah, how about I say no thanks to that. If I thirst for modern-ish Quake, I'll fire up IDE and go look for some QC:DE servers. Or play the classics that have mostly been sitting around in my Steam games list.

9 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I wish Snapmap was actually improved into an actual map editor instead of being removed.

To do that they'd need to implement actual modding support. Snapmap itself nor its service couldn't serve that function. They've already discussed this that modding support is a long term goal.

Well, as I've already said I'm not complaining at all, all I wanted for Doom 2016 was SP DLC, which we didn't get but got some for MP instead.

Besides, SnapMap was a pretty limited tool if I'm not mistaken, you couldn't do much with it, even though it received updates that made it better. So yeah, give me the SP DLC, I personally take it over mod support which is "a long-term goal" anyway. "Keep the hope alive, but don't keep it too alive."

I'm a little bit dissapointed, but the SP is gonna be amazing anyways so I don't really care.

I just wish it didn't go down this route. Snapmap was the last bastion of user created content that has so richly enveloped the series, obviously the most strongly in Classic Doom. It's as if id Software is making a declaration that they no longer care about community created content, that they want to be the gatekeepers on all content generated moving forward. Seems like they could just have it as an optional download, like how the Switch version of Doom 2016 made Multiplayer an optional download.

My favorite part of 2016 is still Snapmap, which allows me to build my own maps so I don't have to spend all my time in those freakishly badly designed hell levels if I want a challenge. Also, no SnapMap means no Co-op

4 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

It's as if id Software is making a declaration that they no longer care about community created content,

I'm starting to think people are either not reading the posts in this thread and choose to ignore what Id have been saying.

Again, they have stated modding is a long term goal.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

I'm starting to think people are either not reading the posts in this thread and choose to ignore what Id have been saying.

Again, they have stated modding is a long term goal.

And yet we haven't actually got any kind of indication whether they will include mapping in a different form.

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

And yet we haven't actually got any kind of indication whether they will include mapping in a different form.

Right, because it's a long term goal and thus wouldn't know what kind of level editor they can provide.

Do you know what a "long term goal" is?

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Right, because it's a long term goal and thus wouldn't know what kind of level editor they can provide.

Or they might not even provide a level editor at all.

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

Or they might not even provide a level editor at all.

Do you know what a "long term goal" is?

Just now, Edward850 said:

Do you know what a "long term goal" is?

Yes, I know. I said "might" because there is a chance.

3 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Yes, I know. I said "might" because there is a chance.

Good. Glad you're finally on the same page.

A map editor that the general public can even launch isn't something they can just will into existence after all. There's a lot of work involved in the process.