Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #543

Heeeey.....long time no see with the reviews. I missed them. And there are good ones too...

I hope newstuff chronicles will be updated more often. It's like a breath of fresh air.

Kudos to all!

Finally a newstuff reviews.... after 2 freaking months!

Hope of don't waiting for other 2 months for the next issue

Just a quick note, the hyperlink in my review of Final Mission doesn't lead anywhere: I was hoping it could be linked to the 4th screenshot I took and obviously I couldn't link to something that didn't exist yet at the time of writing the review. Apologies for any miscommunication.

Doom 2: Purgatory is very old-school. It's sobering to realise that some Doomworlders have either never played the truly old school classics, or don't remember them any more. Modern "classic" megawads seem to be mainly slaughtermaps, which isn't what the original Doom maps ever were except maybe The Suburbs and Courtyard. Atmosphere and exploration, as well as loneliness at times, were a huge part - you were in a bizarre environment, not just a series of arenas linked by a corridor. Purgatory captures Doom's original spirit well. I would agree with many of Magicsofa's points, although the music seems to come all or mostly from PSX Doom. PSX Doom and Doom 64 use the same sound effects but the soundtracks are different - PSX music tends to be melodic and melancholic, whereas D64's is darker and more sinister.

I'm currently making a video playthrough of Purgatory on Ultra Violence using Clusterfuck and the maps are so well put together that they retain a sense of lonely deolation, even when screaming zombies carrying bombs are chasing you along the halls.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:43 PM, MajorRawne said:

Doom 2: Purgatory is very old-school. It's sobering to realise that some Doomworlders have either never played the truly old school classics, or don't remember them any more. Modern "classic" megawads seem to be mainly slaughtermaps, which isn't what the original Doom maps ever were except maybe The Suburbs and Courtyard. Atmosphere and exploration, as well as loneliness at times, were a huge part - you were in a bizarre environment, not just a series of arenas linked by a corridor.

It's insulting to suggest that modern mappers design what they do because of deficient knowledge of the 'oldschool classics', rather than a wish to map what they enjoy. No one is beholden to imitating the style of OG Doom. Furthermore, these 'modern classic megawads' (not getting into the tired 'is this really slaughter?' discussion) -- Speed of Doom, Sunlust, Resurgence, Ancient Aliens, Valiant, and so on -- show an emphasis on rich environments, with corridor-linked arenas being almost nonexistent.  

For each slaughtermap that is released, there's also like 5 classic mapsets being released :P

Are there any suitable image hosting websites to use for /newstuff? The screenshot guide says that I need to use a host that preserves file names, but the guide is out of date so the suggested websites either don't work (imagehosting.com, majhost.com) or don't allow direct linking (dropbox).

I used dropbox a lot of times to share screenshots for newstuff reviews. Any file share site, which keeps correct screenshot names intact are acceptable I believe.

1 hour ago, Player Lin said:

imgur.com would be good choice for looking for image hosting site, it proves a lot of method(links) to link your images.

It would have been convenient, but too bad they don't preserve file names (which is necessary).

22 hours ago, Catpho said:

...too bad they don't preserve file names (which is necessary).

What about Dropbox? I used that one for my latest review.

EDIT: Nevermind, you already mentioned about it. Silly me.

On 9/14/2018 at 11:20 PM, Catpho said:

It would have been convenient, but too bad they don't preserve file names (which is necessary).

The imgur link won't because of preventing filename duplicates, your original filename will shows in the Name field of your image detail window but I don't think it's viable for everyone else not you(or you can try add the original filename on the image's title/descriptions, and gives the image link.

image.png.86901ef92820feed299d4eaa06f18480.png

I also using Googlesites(https://sites.google.com/site/ the old version, not the new one by default if visit using http://sites.google.com/)' Attachments system for hosting some my images before I started using imgur, its links can be direct link and filename will be preserved.

But then I don't know if when the Google decides to discontinue the old Google Sites and lose anything in future, the new sites lacks anything like the old one and I don't like the new one, even it's for make sites easily for sure.

Edited by Player Lin : Added shit, screw my shitty grammar.