• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

On 8/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

Besides the same issues that have affected this entire wad, this was a fun opener. You see a lot of different monsters, get a lot of different weapons (not sure you need so much ammo for the higher powered ones) and even see some varied scenery. These maps always look pretty good, though I will say the M1s are all somewhat similar. What made this one stand out was the section with lots of paths and lots of small rooms to collect the goodies.

Bottom line: A fun opener but the writing is already on the wall that continuous play will breed an untouchable doomguy

Wait you have been playing on Medium this whole time?  Oh boy well the ammo was high for medium definnalty, but there still might be too much on hard.  I would say that monster counts is about 1.5 times then medium.  It is close to a UV+

@Zemini, yes, I hadn't really remembered it myself either...

@mArt1And00m3r11339

This is a failfest. I eventually determine that the video would be much too long if I tried until I succeeded, so at some point I just iddqd to see the rest of the map.

idgames download page

This is one of those technical slaughter maps that requires some level of strategy. As such, I did not spend the time to work out the best strategy or develop the skill to beat it, so my playthrough is with degreelessness mode on. I can appreciate this kind of thing, even if it’s not what I want to play most of the time. It requires strategy, patience, and precise movement, and it really goes to show how you can play two maps that are both Doom wads but are essentially entirely different games.

Bottom line: It’s basically strategy-slaughter. I don’t want to stand in a small room and almost never shoot for five minutes, but this is probably good quality stuff for its genre.

7 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

M8 i am sorry for the bug, it was fixed two days after the release of the map i thought you downloaded the latest version, the corridor after the cyber was supposed to have a block monster line but it didn't, but my brother had the same issue during testing so i immediately fixed that, i am really sorry for that cause it breaks everything... but please download version or there will be other ones as well, this was the worst bug ever in the entire wad cause and i didn't really want you to experience it... i am reall ysorry

EDIT @HAK3180 The bug was still there, you actually downloaded latest version it simply was my fault i fixed just one of the two lines... i am so dumb...

Edited by Zolgia108

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339

This is a failfest. I eventually determine that the video would be much too long if I tried until I succeeded, so at some point I just iddqd to see the rest of the map.

idgames download page

This is one of those technical slaughter maps that requires some level of strategy. As such, I did not spend the time to work out the best strategy or develop the skill to beat it, so my playthrough is with degreelessness mode on. I can appreciate this kind of thing, even if it’s not what I want to play most of the time. It requires strategy, patience, and precise movement, and it really goes to show how you can play two maps that are both Doom wads but are essentially entirely different games.

Bottom line: It’s basically strategy-slaughter. I don’t want to stand in a small room and almost never shoot for five minutes, but this is probably good quality stuff for its genre.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to see level 4.

@mArt1And00m3r11339

I definitely fail the spectre part. I found your video on Youtube, and it doesn't look much different from what I was attempting to do. Apparently I just sucked at it.

idgames download page

This one has some substance to it. The first area is pretty fun, but after the cyberdemon dies, there are just too many remaining hell knights to clean up. It gets old very fast with just the chaingun. The next two fights are enjoyable enough. The arch-vile’s presence added more drama than the possibility of getting hit by a hell knight, even if the latter was more dangerous. The last area was basically impossible. I’m sure there’s some strategy that works, but I didn’t figure it out. I also think it’s too big regardless. There’s got to be a way to preserve the level of challenge but shrink the whole thing down. I don’t want to kill ~250 spectres with the plasma gun, regardless of the circumstances.

Bottom line: These maps are not trending toward suitable for my skill level + FDA. For me this one was a mix of excitement, grind, and impossibility.

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339

I definitely fail the spectre part. I found your video on Youtube, and it doesn't look much different from what I was attempting to do. Apparently I just sucked at it.

idgames download page

This one has some substance to it. The first area is pretty fun, but after the cyberdemon dies, there are just too many remaining hell knights to clean up. It gets old very fast with just the chaingun. The next two fights are enjoyable enough. The arch-vile’s presence added more drama than the possibility of getting hit by a hell knight, even if the latter was more dangerous. The last area was basically impossible. I’m sure there’s some strategy that works, but I didn’t figure it out. I also think it’s too big regardless. There’s got to be a way to preserve the level of challenge but shrink the whole thing down. I don’t want to kill ~250 spectres with the plasma gun, regardless of the circumstances.

Bottom line: These maps are not trending toward suitable for my skill level + FDA. For me this one was a mix of excitement, grind, and impossibility.

Is it just I or is it that your computer was lagging when playing the level?

@mArt1And00m3r11339, not when playing, but the produced video is a different story. I don't normally even watch them afterward, so thanks for mentioning. There does seem to be some minor lag, so I'll take a look at some settings.

@sincity2100

Doomworld download page

This one has the feel of an epic quest, even though most of it takes place within the one structure. I thought it looked pretty good and had a fun progression with distinct enough areas. If anything, the areas were too distinct. There were always doors separating rooms, so there wasn’t much interconnection. Still, the combat presented a good challenge. My complaint, once again, is the ammo balance. This would have been really brutal without finding some of the secrets I did. Even with 4/6, and they were rather generous, I was still in conservation mode.

Bottom line: A guided quest with lots of action and lots of monsters. Use your ammo wisely.

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339, not when playing, but the produced video is a different story. I don't normally even watch them afterward, so thanks for mentioning. There does seem to be some minor lag, so I'll take a look at some settings.

I can't wait to see level 5.

@Doomkid

idgames download page

This one has various miniature nods to Doom levels/themes. There’s what I thought was a Hell Beneath section, a Mt. Erebus section, a Sever the Wicked section, and a brief Shores of Hell section. They fit together well. This one does not have the stellar interconnection of some of the others, but it still played well. My only complaint is too much plasma near the end, but then again, both plasma gun and BFG are secret.

Bottom line: Another fun and well done vanilla map

@HAK3180 I looked at the above wad real quick.

I believe it's vanilla compatible, but from what I can tell, it was constructed in Boom format.

It's on MAP02 of Doom II. There are two exit lines, for some reason.

I recorded an FDA of my own if you want to see what you're getting into first, but it's nothing very rough.

Castle-FDA-AC

@Thedoctor989, without any info I will always assume Doom 2 and I will just grab GZDoom, especially for first timers, but it is absolutely necessary to say that your map is not in the Map01 slot. Without the golden eagle swooping in, I probably would have loaded up Entryway, quit, and then gone on with my life.

@Steve D

Doomworld download page

I like it. Lots to do toward the beginning and then it turns into a bit of a puzzle with little bits of progression at a time halted by bars that you have to find the switch to lower. Somewhat remote, but really not too bad. Combat is fun, very Doom 1, especially toward the beginning, but enough monsters to be some challenge without them being just hordes or just fodder.

Bottom line: This should remind you of Doom. It sticks to what works.

18 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

Hi i have my first Wad that i made its short and is probably only the beginning of a Megawad idea i have:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tbxc8ptgxi9egv2/Castle_Slaugher.zip/file

Didn't try to record a playthrough, but I have a feedback which can be helpful:
-It's on MAP02 slot, better warn others which slot is used.
-There is no castle and no slaughter, as I expect.
-The map is very plain, almost without heights elevations, no brightness changes and no light effects.
-Learn how to make unpegged textures on linedefs, that room-door looking freaky.
-Monster placement is plain boring - they appeared in front of player's face. As example you can hide imps behind/inside the crates. Make a cool ambush. Or hide cacodemons behind the walls/windows.
-Map is too linear, you can try to make more connections between rooms. Also add more windows, holes, e.t.c.

Сonsidering that this is the first and small map, the results can be improved. This page can be helpful for newcomer mappers. Doomwiki can be useful on other issues, just use the search on the website.

Also don't even try to make megawad in early undertakings, or it's can be comprehended by fate of infamous JOW.wad . That person at least have motivation, but absolutely don't know the technical and creative sides. Moreover making a megawad (I assume 30 full playable maps at least) is a engagement for years. Because for such a long period of time that person can change objectives and events in real life, and he will abandon his creation. As example I spent 2 years building my megawad by titanic efforts and patience. As result - not many people enjoyed this, but those who liked it, brought wad to their favorites list. Anyways, I was satisfied enough.

Edited by riderr3

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

Another good-looking map with a bit of adventure vibe to it. This one had a couple really nice fights, like the big section with mancubi and pillars and the BFG trap – really that whole section. Again, there were some serious camping encounters and way too many supplies, but I think it’s going to be minor changes that take this wad from being so-so to great.

Bottom line: The same pros and the same cons as many other levels in this wad

@Thedoctor989

download the .zip

This thing has first-time wad written all over it, unfortunately. When you first open Doom Builder, it’s very exciting and even if you don’t have a clue what you’re doing, you just want to plot sectors, place monsters, and marvel at your creation. I understand that. Just realize that this is not good at all. And that’s okay. There are plenty of tutorials out there to learn how to do stuff. You can ask a question (or search) on the editing forum, no matter how dumb it seems.

Here are a few of my guidelines of wisdom (hopefully) for new mappers:

1. Learn the editor thoroughly. You will save yourself tons of time and enable yourself to do things you didn’t realize you could. I’m not even talking about fancy tricks – just learn your way around Doom Builder. E.g. that you can curve or flip a linedef or that you can run, even straferun, in visual mode.
  2. Test often and try to break the map. How you imagine the map being played is irrelevant. How the map could be played must be considered.
  3. Focus on gameplay. I tend to think of maps as having three main components: visual design, flow/layout, and monster encounters. If you focus on the monster encounters, that will force you to think about flow/layout, so it’s like two birds with one stone. And I believe that visual beauty is the component that comes most naturally. As you continue to play maps and get better with the editor, you will naturally make your maps look better. So I don’t think you need to make your efforts in that regard as intentional as gameplay.

Bottom line: It's a first effort

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

Again there’s lots of exploration to do, even though you do get the keys in a specific order. The way that enemies and goodies are placed so that you’re going to have a fun and challenging experience no matter which way you go is really expert. I just thought there were a few too many rockets toward the end. Again, I really like how the situational combat forces you to think about your movement and your weapon choice.

Bottom line: Really fun environment conducive to creating your own experience

On 8/26/2018 at 5:11 AM, HAK3180 said:

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

Another good-looking map with a bit of adventure vibe to it. This one had a couple really nice fights, like the big section with mancubi and pillars and the BFG trap – really that whole section. Again, there were some serious camping encounters and way too many supplies, but I think it’s going to be minor changes that take this wad from being so-so to great.

Bottom line: The same pros and the same cons as many other levels in this wad

Pain Elementals are kinda like revenants with a stronger heat seeking ability.  Damage is a little high for them I agree, but I made them this way so they can infight with other demons.   They also leave corpses if you haven't noticed which means a archvile can resurrect them.  The poison elemental is a little stronger but unfinished right now.

You have 4 more maps.  3 and 4 were recently edited and I have only tested them a handful of times so I hope something doens't break.  You might also see some placeholder textures and unfinished puzzles that will work but are not working as intended.  You will know it when you see it.

Thanks for playing.

@Zolgia108

I cut a few death runs at 52:04 just to save a little time (and embarrassment?)

Doomworld forum topic

This is a rather large map, featuring six keys. The area near the beginning serves as a hub, which is a fine concept, and the initial fight there is very enjoyable – mowing down perched gunners as well as some sniping spiders. It felt like Industrial Zone. I did not like the other fights in that area because it was just so wide open that it would be very difficult to make it neither unfair nor boring/grindy. I spent a lot of time running away from revenant rockets and staying far enough away from arch-viles. Then there are six paths to keys. None of them is horrible, and none is outstanding, but I did like the spider mastermind part. Overall this feels like a lot of work because there’s so much to do and you’re usually somewhere you haven’t been before or even seen before. I am very happy to report, though, that progression was almost always clear.

Bottom line: It’s not half bad, but it begins to wear out its welcome.

I am in a way happy that you slightly enjoyed the map, it is very difficult to place monster in a huge area like that, i didn't want to make a slaughter zone and neither an empty one, but i think you already know how hard it is. It took a lot of effort to create this as i wanted to give the feeling that you are going through different portals into other dimensions, as if there were 4 different maps in one. I'm sorry about the lack of ammo at 50", you missed basically every secret (like the backpack one which was right there before the big area with elevators). Last archvile spot (don't know if you noticed but i like them a lot lol) was supposed to be a different kind of challenge: instead of simply killing and covering you had to find the invulnerabilities and ammo and kill, for example my brother kept running like crazy and took 2 invulnerabilities together and then he was fucked, i must say that you did quite well there. The mastermind area: i know that it cannot hit you at the start but that was the point, that place becomes difficult right after the mastermind (which btw, was supposed to be killed by ssg like you did, or else you would have wasted ammo for the hard part right after), i mean yes the mastermind is just a decoy there, and i think you played it very well and as i intended. I will spend some time these days thinking about the flaws that you pointed out, like the revenants in the main open area, and detailing, it will be a long and tedious work considering how big it is but i must admit it feels too bland right now.  From 13 on you will be have to deal with, mmm, a lot of strange hitscanners (the classic ones won't be there no more) and a lot of strange situations, but i swear progression will be the clearest ever. so get ready for that (or just quit playing this wad for your own sake :) )   Thank you so much for keeping this up, as usual, your help is precious.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, HAK3180 said:

Inspired by @xvertigox and his thread, I’d like to make a similar offer to the Doomworld community. I only started playing custom wads a few years ago and only started mapping several months ago. I want to improve at mapping and I want to have fun Dooming. I think I can accomplish both those goals by playing, recording, and offering commentary on your maps.

I do not want to steal xvertigox’s customers or anything like that. I just want to give you another (or an additional) option and perhaps take a little pressure off him. By all means, post your wads in both threads. Maybe you’ll get two videos! He is perfectly okay with this, by the way.

My General Guidelines

I’m only interested in Doom wads, that is, Doom, Doom 2, TNT, or Plutonia.

I prefer (but do not require) simple/old school. I’d rather not freelook (I’ve usually not had a problem even when it is recommended), use new weapons, or fight new monsters. I do not even bind crouch to a key, and I generally don't play wads that require jumping.

If you specify an exclusive or preferred port, I will probably use it. Generally, I use Crispy, PrBoom+, GZDoom, and sometimes Retro.

I would prefer you give me a rough length and difficulty level so I can plan accordingly. EDIT: My soft maximum length is about three hours.

I will offer some commentary throughout the video.

I intend to do FDAs, but I will probably save sometimes and it’s also possible (unlikely) that you will get a SDA or TDA.

If you quote a post that contains a video, please remove the video from the quote.

So please, post links to your maps!

TABLE OF CONTENTS (links to pertinent post/video)

Reveal hidden contents

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Page 13

Page 14

Page 15

Page 16

Page 17

How about you play my first wad and give me some feedback :) https://www.mediafire.com/#u4g6qtvey2oru it's a deathmatch wad

Thanks a lot again! It's good to see the map behaving well even when the player took path in a order that I didn't thought before haha

@Amanwithaname You need to provide the proper link if you want HAK to look at your map. Neither the link on your thread nor here take me to a file to get.

As a result, I can't look at it for him ahead of time to see what it's compatible with, what IWAD he needs, or what map slot it's in because you haven't provided this information here or on your thread.

@xdarkmasterx

(Note: I believe I downloaded an earlier version, so it seems the broken exit has been fixed.)

Doomworld forum topic

Another map with some exploration to do to find the weapons, health, and keys. Combat is designed that if you don’t explore, you won’t be able to deal with the monsters, so kind of an organic incentive. Overall it’s pretty fun. The monster never overwhelm you with quantity, but there’s plenty going on. The map is a bit too dark too long for my liking and has a couple somewhat questionable areas (big sidetrack for a rocket launcher and huge, empty ending room), but it does look fairly decent, certainly for vanilla.

Bottom line: If you never liked this guy’s maps before, they’re way better now. Try a lower difficulty if they’re too brutal.