Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

Mapsets/Megawads like scythe?

I need to fill the void that scythe x not being finished left in my soul. Any scythe style mapsets or megawads? It can be scythe 1 2 or x style, or something different. I just need something like it.

It would help to define what it is about Scythe 1/2/X that you like.  Small maps?  A sharp difficulty progression (I've only played the original but I remember the early stuff being very straightforward and the latter levels chaotic slaughters)?  Something else?

Like Capellan said, it would be better to specify what exactly you're looking for.

Off the top of my head, Speed of Doom fits into the 'scythe' category pretty well.

8 minutes ago, Capellan said:

It would help to define what it is about Scythe 1/2/X that you like.  Small maps?  A sharp difficulty progression (I've only played the original but I remember the early stuff being very straightforward and the latter levels chaotic slaughters)?  Something else?

5 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

Like Capellan said, it would be better to specify what exactly you're looking for.

Off the top of my head, Speed of Doom fits into the 'scythe' category pretty well.

Scythe 1, hm... I loved the small but action packed maps, the difficulty progression, really everything.  Scythe 2, I loved the big open maps, and the detail put into them. The custom enemies were cool too. Scythe X, I don't really remember the specifics of what I liked about X. I've played the other two more. EDIT: I'll check out speed of Doom. I do want to find as many Scythe like wads as possible, so thanks!

If you are looking for bitesized but action-packed maps, then you could take a look at Short maps for short people (DSDA link).

Demonfear (DSDA) was kind of a spiritual predecessor to Scythe, with rather simpler designs.

Revolution! (DSDA) is another megawad with fairly small maps, but the action is more gentle. You could use -fast, of course, if you want.

Otherwise, you could try 10 Sectors (DSDA), though some of the maps are fairly large (despite only having ten sectors). And let's not forget 2sectors (DSDA).

Others that spring to mind but are a little further removed are Mini-level megawad (DSDA) and Real World (DSDA).

15 minutes ago, Grazza said:

If you are looking for bitesized but action-packed maps, then you could take a look at Short maps for short people (DSDA link).

Demonfear (DSDA) was kind of a spiritual predecessor to Scythe, with rather simpler designs.

Revolution! (DSDA) is another megawad with fairly small maps, but the action is more gentle. You could use -fast, of course, if you want.

Otherwise, you could try 10 Sectors (DSDA), though some of the maps are fairly large (despite only having ten sectors). And let's not forget 2sectors (DSDA).

Others that spring to mind but are a little further removed are Mini-level megawad (DSDA) and Real World (DSDA).

Thanks Grazza! :D

Coffee Break might be a good fit.  Certainly, I think, it's closer to the general Scythe experience than Demonfear is :)

3 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Coffee Break might be a good fit.  Certainly, I think, it's closer to the general Scythe experience than Demonfear is :)

I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Khorus' Speedy Shit is bite sized challenging maps, not exactly like Scythe since the first maps are already imposing.

Unholy Realms also generally short-medium savage maps, with a few lengthy ones in comparison, not sure if you're into instapops and sudden traps though.

Was going to suggest Real World too, if you liked Ultimate Doom, Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta and/or TNT well that megawad has all of that in ant-sized maps of casually easy difficulty, although with a few nasty parts.

Moonblood is straightly inspired by Scythe and others, totally recommended.

Glaive is "This is my attempt at making 9 maps inspired by one of my favorite megawads, Scythe!". Haven't tried it myself yet, but I've seen positive comments about it.

Pre-emptive self-tooting of horn: Eviternity is heavily inspired by the scale, quality, etc, of Scythe II, complete with 6 episodes made of 5 maps each. Due for release at the end of this year. :)

I always compared Scythe and Rebirth in how much I enjoyed them both. So maybe give it a try if you haven't already.

11 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Khorus' Speedy Shit is bite sized challenging maps, not exactly like Scythe since the first maps are already imposing.

Unholy Realms also generally short-medium savage maps, with a few lengthy ones in comparison, not sure if you're into instapops and sudden traps though.

Was going to suggest Real World too, if you liked Ultimate Doom, Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta and/or TNT well that megawad has all of that in ant-sized maps of casually easy difficulty, although with a few nasty parts.

Moonblood is straightly inspired by Scythe and others, totally recommended.

Glaive is "This is my attempt at making 9 maps inspired by one of my favorite megawads, Scythe!". Haven't tried it myself yet, but I've seen positive comments about it.

I'll definitely check those out, Thanks!

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Pre-emptive self-tooting of horn: Eviternity is heavily inspired by the scale, quality, etc, of Scythe II, complete with 6 episodes made of 5 maps each. Due for release at the end of this year. :)

Sweet! I'll check it out when it's ready, Thanks! (I swear every map I've seen of yours is awesome! and all of those look awesome!)

3 hours ago, MegaZzZeux said:

I always compared Scythe and Rebirth in how much I enjoyed them both. So maybe give it a try if you haven't already.

I'll check that too. Thank you! :D