Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Your Thoughts and Ideas on the Possibility and Hopes for Inclusion of Co-op

Spoiler

Bad title but whatever.

I've always advocated for co-operative modes in every id title, I believe id games and the campaigns within them have amazing potential to be a unique and amazing co-operative experience... Which is why I'm pissed that they never include them (and if they do it is usually tacked on as an extra mode in completely different circumstances).

Doom has had co-operative modes integrated into the campaign since the start (hell, even Doom 3 on the Xbox had a co-operative campaign) and these modes were great fun, the mode then proceeded to almost entirely vanish throughout id's later games (only resurfacing as Doom 2016 SnapMap co-op and RAGE's "Wasteland Legends" mode).

If Doom Eternal wants to emulate the past games then I do not see a reason for campaign co-op to be missing, I even have some ideas and suggestions on how things could work:

- Characters:

A big point would be "but who the hell would be with Doomslayer anyway?", I have a few suggestions;

UAC security/marines who aren't exactly thrilled about the idea of letting a demon invasion happen (rebels/resistance you could say), straight up copies of Doomslayer but in the classic co-op colours (green, "indigo" or gray, brown and red Doomslayers respectively), another option would be the crusaders you see all throughout Doom 4 that do literally nothing but exist at you (they could've been great co-op partners in 4 btw just saying) and if we are really strapped for ideas just throw in Phobos or Crash or something.

- Difficulty and Death:

"It would make the game a cakewalk" you say, then I suggest the implementation of difficulty changes in multiplayer much like Doom 2 and Final Doom did, in co-op modes more tough enemies were added to give co-op players a challenge (TNT added Cyberdemons to basically every map if memory serves me well). How death would be handled is something that SnapMap handled well actually, I would suggest the lives and revives system that used with an option to customise the experience (for example the ability to toggle revives, lives, respawning at checkpoints or never ect). As for pickups I'd suggest handling it like either classic Doom (weapons are infinite, items are 1 player pickup only) with options for customisation (toggle respawn ect) or handle it like Serious Sam did (Every players pickups are separate).

- Story:

Leave it unchanged, most games like Doom with co-op (Serious Sam as an example) just don't acknowledge the existence of other players and treats them all as player 1, I feel like this would stop the flow being killed but also cause issues with impatient players skipping everything.

Those are just a few of my dumb ideas and suggestions, I'd like to hear yours.

How about a separate co-op campaign where you play as 2 to 4 resistance members? It could be inspired by the Stronghold mod.

I would pay good money for that.

29 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

How about a separate co-op campaign where you play as 2 to 4 resistance members? It could be inspired by the Stronghold mod.

I would pay good money for that.

A mode where you play as a regular marine after having kickass gameplay as the Doom Slayer in the single player campaign? No thanks. I like my super speed, double jump, glory kills and meathook.

I prefer them to just stay extremely old skool with this; have two doomslayers run around. No explaination whatsoever. 

Just now, Nexxtic said:

A mode where you play as a regular marine after having kickass gameplay as the Doom Slayer in the single player campaign? No thanks. I like my super speed, double jump, glory kills and meathook.

I prefer them to just stay extremely old skool with this; have two doomslayers run around. No explaination whatsoever. 

Ok, then other Night Sentinels.

Just now, DooM_RO said:

Ok, then other Night Sentinels.

But why downgrade from the awesome single player mobility and gameplay? Why not just have multiple doomslayers run around the level? Reducing gameplay just to have something make sense is a bad idea for a Doom game.

Just now, Nexxtic said:

But why downgrade from the awesome single player mobility and gameplay? Why not just have multiple doomslayers run around the level? Reducing gameplay just to have something make sense is a bad idea for a Doom game.

You can just leave the gameplay unchanged.

Basic stuff, Key and Switch Hunting and killing everything on the way with up to 4 or 8 Players Max, and maybe also add survival mode where players can revive each other when they die instead of respawning, some Checkpoints would be nice also in case players get gibbed or fall into death pits (for that mode at least).

I would love to see regular coop mode into the sp campaign, there doesn't need to be any kind of acknowledgement of the extra players, they could be regular preator suit players with different colors like in classic doom, just have mindless fun with some friends and you're all set, heck with the inclusion of lives it's perfect for a 'survival' coop mode were you have limited lives to clear the level, it could be really fun.

I also think that a 'horde' mode would work perfectly, if there's anything that i really loved about snapmap, it was the coop survival maps that people would make. I played a lot of them with some friends and i had a blast when things started to go wrong.

Really hope there's coop in the new game.