Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

What makes doom, Doom?

What makes this game the best ever made? What is so special about this game? Why would you not prefer some other game like ut2003 or half life? What makes ppl come back to this game over and over again? What makes this game THE BEST FUKIN GAME EVER CREATED?
I think I know the answer but I would like all the community's opinion on this...

Well, here are some reasons why I play Doom.

1. It's FUN, not boring sneaking missions etc.

2. Huge amount of user-made wads.

3. Low system requirements.

4. You kill mainly monsters, not just humans. When there are different kind of life forms as monsters, more imagination is often used in them. There's huge difference between killing archviles and mancubuses, killing a guy with maschinegun or shotgun doesn't make so much difference.

5. Legacy and Zdoom

6. Exellent death animations. In games today, the way enemies die is often lame.

Simplicity! Killing bad things that are a threat to your survival is fun, plane and simple. It’s the hunter that is inside all of us, and then there is the fact that it is so easy to edit and hack.

These are, in my opinion, the reasons why I play and love DooM

- Best FPS gameplay EVER
- Great imagination :) regarding monsters, levels and weapons
- The available source ports
- The community around it

I know i could think of lots more reasons, but ... uhm, well, just not right now.

Whoa, lots of reasons for that.

1. Atmosphere - ranging from scary and moody to adrenaline pumping action. This is one of the few games where the soundtrack is a perfect mix of genres - haven't experienced anything as good as that since. But even without music, the atmosphere is suPERB.

2. Action, lots of it. There constantly seems to be something to kill and the action itself is first rate.

3. Gameplay. For its time, Doom had the greatest gameplay EVER and it still rox0rs, because it's simple yet fun.

4. Feel. Blowing away an imp with that pump action shotgun just beats everything that I've experienced in an fps since. The way the imp is hurled back by the blast, combined with the kickass sound of the weapon and the dying imp is just so damn cool (DooMer 4ever mentioned death animations). And that was just one example. The rest of the weapons have a kickass feel to them as well as have the monsters - most of them actually jerk in pain when hit and the balance of monsters is great too.

5. Simplicity. See 'gameplay'.

6. Gameplay variety. DooMer 4ever mentioned that you were killing monsters with many different "personalities" (ok that wasn't what he said but what the Hell..).

7. The whole concept. The design of the game kicks ass. The way the marines and monsters are designed is so cool imo and have given me a shitload of inspiration to my art and my writing. And the whole idea of unleashing Hell on our universe is also badass. Immersing myself in the game is great because the concept rules.

8. Best set of weapons EVER put into a game....imho. I don't give a shit if they're fully realistic or not as long as they feel badass. And they do.

Speed. The pace is so fast you can kill 20-30 monsters in under a minute, sometimes less. It doesn't take ages to load in, it's very easy to get into (fairly simple gameplay), there's always tons of monsters in each map (compared to modern FPS's which have about 0.1 monsters per square inch), you don't get killed instantly the first time you see an enemy (unlike special forces games) and it's really fun to play. (nothing beats blowing away monsters with the super shotgun)

The other really great thing is that it's easy to expand (ie. no waiting around for mission packs to come out - just visit cyberspace and download one yourself), easy to edit (therefore there are thousands of custom maps out there) and today's source ports have brought all sorts of cool features to it as well.

doomedout said:
What makes this game THE BEST FUKIN GAME EVER CREATED?

Well, I think it's One of the best games ever created, because it has a nice dark atmosphere, well balanced weapons, and fun and easy to edit. while almost every aspect of doom brilliance has been done better, they still haven't quite done them all in one neat little package the way doom has.

doomedout said:

Why would you not prefer some other game like ut2003 or half life?

Why would you?

Personally...Doom is great...but I still love other games just as much. But I do like to collect doom stuff...like I got Doom for SNES the other day, even though me SNES don't work :P

One of the things that makes Doom so good is it's immersive property. Because the gameplay is almost seamless the immersion is almost total, you play the map and most often you do nothing else except play until you finish the level. Perfect escape, unlike many other FPS where you stop, start, stop, start and your mind wanders, the immersion is easily broken and the experience lessened.

I play Doom because of the theme. The FPS games of today don't have the dark hell theme I'm looking for. The monsters were great too. When was the last time you got to fight against raging stampede of demons on a new FPS?

DooMer 4ever said:

1. It's FUN, not boring sneaking missions etc.

Sneaking missions can be fun, if done right. However, so far the only games I've played that actually DO do them right are Thief 1 and 2. They're the only games that can still make me jump.

NiGHTMARE said:

Sneaking missions can be fun, if done right. However, so far the only games I've played that actually DO do them right are Thief 1 and 2. They're the only games that can still make me jump.

True. I was meaning the crappy sneaking missions in other games, for example Red Faction.

Basically because it's fun (it's genuinely a game), fast (no muselook or other annoying features of "true 3D" and the player is fast, with the many opponents making it action-packed), I like the theme, artwork, sounds and music, as well. I also like the lack of options (which tend to distort playing standards.)

Here are just two reasons I like Doom:
1. The Action
2. The Atmosphere
Need I say more?

You must admit that Doom does have plenty of faults. But for the most part, they don't matter (except for the shoddy level design in some maps).

I don't really think Doom has some actual flaws, I simply think there are certain other games which are better.

NiGHTMARE said:

You must admit that Doom does have plenty of faults. But for the most part, they don't matter (except for the shoddy level design in some maps).

Oh, I forgot about the crappy Doom (especially Doom2) maps, I keep forgetting about them because I hardly ever play them :) The original Doom and Doom 2 are not the best games IMHO, but the great user-made maps make it the best.

Fredrik said:

I don't really think Doom has some actual flaws, I simply think there are certain other games which are better.

Which?
/Me cocks his LMG and points it at fredrik's forehead :-P
(j/k)

I haven't experienced a single fps with an overall better feel than Doom's and since I'm an fps nut, no other genres get the slightest chance to beat Doom.

In my world Doom is theeeeee BEST.

Certainly no other FPS.

However, Super Mario Bros 3/World/64, Zelda 3/OoT and Super Metroid are all superior to Doom in my opinion.

Fredrik said:

Certainly no other FPS.

However, Super Mario Bros 3/World/64, Zelda 3/OoT and Super Metroid are all superior to Doom in my opinion.

Looks like you like the same kind of games that I do. I haven't played super metroid though. Zelda3 and castlevania series are my favourite console games of all time.

I'd say neither DOOM nor DOOM II have crappy maps. In any case some are a bit too blocky or somewhat messy. As I said in another thread, in general Petersen's maps aren't too keen in the looks/realism department, but wouldn't say they play badly (which would be the main reason not to play something more that once or twice.)

Fredrik said:

Certainly no other FPS.

It's damn close though.
Do I detect a hint of Doom fatigue there Fredrik?

myk said:

I'd say neither DOOM nor DOOM II have crappy maps. In any case some are a bit too blocky or somewhat messy. As I said in another thread, in general Petersen's maps aren't too keen in the looks/realism department, but wouldn't say they play badly (which would be the main reason not to play something more that once or twice.)

Well, I guess the gameplay isn't that bad in any of the maps, but some of them really LOOK crappy to me.

Doom has one crappy map in my opinion:

E3M8!

I was so dissapointed when I reached that level for the first time. I was expecting an über boss battle with the fabled mastermind in the deepest bowels of hell and then I get a lame marble arena in full daylight.

Comparing an fps to a strategy game isn't right, but to me only one game beats Doom in sheer greatness : X-Com UFO Defense. Live it, love it.

I think the "best" first-person-shooter in terms of design, play balancing and value for money, would have to be Unreal Tournament 2003.