Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Skybox viewpoint in software mode

Question

I am under the impression that the skybox viewpoint thing should work in software mode, however I end up with the default RSKY1. Anyone know why? I am using GZDoom 2.2.0 in this case.

5 answers to this question

Well it seems to be working as intended in GZDoom 3.2.5, so I guess it was bugged or unsupported in 2.2.0.

The skybox viewpoint should work in both renderers, it doesn't discriminate.

However, it's fortunate that you meantioned you're using GZD 2.2.0 because I have a possible solution.

If you're using UDMF and you marked the skybox sector as "Not shown on automap", it's possible that GZDoom doesn't render the skybox. I've observed this behavior in 2.4.0 and I'm unsure what causes it.

Try testing your map in ZDoom32 2.8.5 or GZDoom 3.x and see if it works for their software renderers. If so, then the issue is most likely the above. If not, then the skybox viewpoint this itself could be tagged and the sectors don't know to reference it through skybox pickers.

That can't be it. My primary method of testing is GZDoom in OpenGL mode, and the skyboxes work perfectly there. Only in GZDoom's software mode (vid_renderer 0) do they cease to work. All my skyboxes are hidden on the automap but that isn't affecting it in hardware mode. None of the viewpoints are tagged because all my maps only need one sky, plus using pickers is a pain in the ass.

I get the feeling this is another obscure bug in the version of GZDoom I use.

I don't know why GZDoom would do that, then, because I use ZDoom32 2.8.5 and it renders my skyboxes in software mode fine.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is try a later (or earlier) version of GZDoom or check out ZDoom32 and see if it's different.