Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Classic Mode

Do you think they'll add a classic mode in Eternal? It would have the original Doom Marine as a playable character. The mode could disable enhanced movements and the things Doom 4 introduced to the series.

Totally doubt it.

That would require tons of changes to the maps to work since they were designed to take full advantage of the new features and mechanics, rendering them unplayable otherwise.

There's better things to do with the time and budget.

Edited by Agent6

I expect level design to rely on "enhanced movement" which make it impossible to play them without it, at least most of them. 

Dunno what they're going to do with the classic maps. TNO did it quite well, but TOB and New Colossus had too much of them. I liked the way Doom included the small levels in the current one but playing it was not much fun due to bad balancing. Why didn't they just include the classic sprites?

Just now, Agent6 said:

Totally doubt it. That would quite possibly also require tons or changes to the maps to work as well.

There's better things to do with the time and budget.

They don't have to change the maps, new ones could be made that are in a similar vein to Doom 1, 2, and 64's maps.

They should just make a classic mode where all the textures and stuff are given a pixelation filter, models are swapped to lower poly versions, and weapons are auto centered.

The less retro-pandering they do, the better imo. The classic levels in 2016 were done pretty poorly when they should've just made new from scratch secret levels to begin with.

11 hours ago, Sparktimus said:

The less retro-pandering they do, the better imo. The classic levels in 2016 were done pretty poorly when they should've just made new from scratch secret levels to begin with.

There are classic levels in Doom 4? And how were they done poorly?

2 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

No classic lighting, misaligned textures, totally imbalanced gameplay.

34 minutes ago, Xfing said:

No classic lighting, misaligned textures, totally imbalanced gameplay.

Actually they did emulate fake contrast, but the other 2 points are correct, even if done right I don't see the point to be honest, I much rather have proper remakes or better yet more original levels instead.

3 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Actually they did emulate fake contrast, but the other 2 points are correct, even if done right I don't see the point to be honest, I much rather have proper remakes or better yet more original levels instead.

Same.

Considering classic Doom is still very much alive and working fine I find that totally unnecessary. I'd rather have entirely new, kickass levels instead, or proper recreations.

Nah. Just Doom 1 and 2 exclusively. The levels themselves were opened when you pulled a lever hidden somewhere in the actual Doom 2016 level. They're worth it if you want to get 100% secrets, but the levels themselves are not worth playing whatsoever.

Classic levels in Doom 2016 were a glorified easter egg and they weren't fun to play since monsters behave in a completely different way to their classic counterparts, creating some frustrating moments such as facing pinkies in really small corridors in e2m6

14 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Could you stop asking these questions and just go play it already? This is like the fourth time your lack of understanding about Doom 2016 has come up in your threads about DE. At the very least go watch a 100% playthough / let's play series to save you asking "Oh did they have this?" etc. I don't mean watch a speedrun, since that shows absolutely jack-all of the real game.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:06 PM, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

The mode could disable enhanced movements and the things Doom 4 introduced to the series

No, the mode could not disable the new movement options, because that would make it impossible to finish certain maps. So no, they won't include a classic mode where you play as classic doomguy without jumping/freelook/etc.

There are classic levels in Doom 4?

yes

8 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Were Doom 64 levels added in?

no

Whatever your next question may be: Consider using google before asking, because even for somebody who never played Doom16 it would be a less than 5 second effort to get the answers you were looking for.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Could you stop asking these questions and just go play it already? This is like the fourth time your lack of understanding about Doom 2016 has come up in your threads about DE. At the very least go watch a 100% playthough / let's play series to save you asking "Oh did they have this?" etc. I don't mean watch a speedrun, since that shows absolutely jack-all of the real game.

Could you calm down please? I don't own a copy of the game, nor do I have a PS4, Xbox One, or PC to play it on yet. What I could do is play a Doom 4 mod for the classic games on Delta Touch in the mean time.

26 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Could you calm down please? I don't own a copy of the game, nor do I have a PS4, Xbox One, or PC to play it on yet. What I could do is play a Doom 4 mod for the classic games on Delta Touch in the mean time.

It's just kind of pointless to ask a question like this when it's a lot easier to just look it up on the Doom Wiki or by simply Googling it and getting the answers instantly.

15 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I don't think he was angry, but if you don't own the game then you could watch a let's play/walkthrough and see what's in it instead. I don't own the game either since I can't run it on my ideal settings at an optimal, stable framerate anyway, so I did what I suggested (and also played it at a friend).

Also this:

17 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Whatever your next question may be: Consider using google before asking, because even for somebody who never played Doom16 it would be a less than 5 second effort to get the answers you were looking for.

Edited by Agent6

It just seemed like I'm spoiling the game for myself if I did that, but then again I already did with this. Once I finish the Wolfenstein 3D TC, I'll go ahead and download one of the many Doom 4 mods out there to play with.

It was inevitable that we'd get a "I want this brand new game to play just like the quarter-century old original, when I could just play the original" thread.

Still... he has a point, instead of speculating about DE without playing the previous entry at the very least you could watch a longplay to get an idea about things, doom 4 doom, although fun, it's not gonna cut it.
Saying things such as 'Doom eternal will be unfinished!' while the previous game was a solid game on its own, and asking about a classic mode while the previous game had classic maps just shows that you have no idea of what the previous game was, and were Doom eternal is following up. At the very least search any question yourself before asking them here

Edited by DMPhobos

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

Still... he has a point, instead of speculating about DE without playing the previous entry at the very least you could watch a longplay to get an idea about things, doom 4 doom, although fun, it's not gonna cut it.
Saying things such as 'Doom eternal will be unfinished!' while the previous game was a solid game on its own, and asking about a classic mode while the previous game had classic maps just shows that you have no idea of what the previous game was, and were Doom eternal is following up. At the very least search any question yourself before asking them here

Doom 4 has classic levels, right? If I play a mod like Xion in Ultimate Doom or Doom 2, it'll be like i'm playing Doom 4, only in the classic levels though. I could use a map set that's based off Doom 4's levels. :)

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I feel like @The-Heretic-Assassin is too busy talking and not listening. Word of advice - READ what people are saying to you. Not some of it, not the bits you want to read, no, all of it.

I did read all of it, I was just giving a suggestion. I'll check up what Doom 4 is later.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin

Well, you all seem to think that classic mode would be impossible to add. I think it would have been a sweet bonus to unlock once you complete the single player mode on normal or higher. Mode doesn't need to remove the advanced movement then, but it could disable glory kills, secondary fires, and you'd get the original Doom Marine as playable character. Is that fair?

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin