Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leodoom85

Perilous Cavern [RELEASED] [IDGames]

Looks like it could be interesting as another Scythe II tribute, will check it out at some point.

Though, I have to say... why is it called a 'Cavern'? I don't see closed off spaces of natural rock anywhere? Heck, only the 6th screenshot even looks naturally/rocky at all... and thats really a crater or chasm at a stretch.

20 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Looks like it could be interesting as another Scythe II tribute, will check it out at some point.

Though, I have to say... why is it called a 'Cavern'? I don't see closed off spaces of natural rock anywhere? Heck, only the 6th screenshot even looks naturally/rocky at all... and thats really a crater or chasm at a stretch.

Another Scythe 2 tribute? What are you on about?

never thought of tributing an overrated and older wad. Never crossed my mind of that. Sorry but your assumption of my map is completely wrong. Apparently, by using those gothic textures, my map or any other map will turn automatically into a Scythe 2 ripoff...nice joke man.

And don't mind that much for the name of a map...you are clearly overthinking of such a statement. That name was the first idea that came to my mind, so I just took that and went with it. And about the cavern, it's your vision to think of such landscape.

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

never thought of tributing an overrated and older wad. Never crossed my mind of that. Sorry but your assumption of my map is completely wrong. Apparently, by using those gothic textures, my map or any other map will turn automatically into a Scythe 2 ripoff...nice joke man.

And don't mind that much for the name of a map...you are clearly overthinking of such a statement. That name was the first idea that came to my mind, so I just took that and went with it. And about the cavern, it's your vision to think of such landscape.

Errr... when was insulting you again? 0_0 No need to fly off the handle buddy.

But yes, that texture set does envisage Scythe II to me, and you'll find it does for alot of people, as that is the part (map1-4) most people will have played to judge it. Besides, 'tribute' is a good word to me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

And okay, fine, if you thought 'cavern' for that, sure. It's not the first thing I would have thought of, but "A large, dark place or space underground or in the side of cliff or mountain." can indeed cover buried gothic ruins, so fine. Again, alot of people will immediately associate 'caverns' with a dank, drippy network of natural tunnels. Nothing crazy about it, that's just the way things are.

44 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

I'm not imitating anyone and anywhere, buddy...maybe inspired is the right word but in not any sense I was inspired by that specific mapset at all. It's my style.

Aside from the theme (which has appeared in many, many wads anyway) this is hardly a Scythe 2 tribute/ripoff in any shape or form.

I'd say that the map suffered from a lot of corridor type combat and doorways that emphasised the problems associated with that, although the odd trap you sprung upon me did enough to keep me playing. I did like the haze that enshrouded the map though, it looked good and had a cool effect occassionally you'd have an enemy fire at you from distance, then the projectile would appear out of the mist as it got closer to you. You could definitely expand upon that idea. The mass confusion (and fear) by the weird rev/vile thing in the last area was neat and made me wonder what was about to happen. Not sold on the boss pinkies though, i kinda just reverse straferan around taking pot shots at them until they died. Maybe with a more complex arena they'd be more fun to fight.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Not sold on the boss pinkies though, i kinda just reverse straferan around taking pot shots at them until they died. Maybe with a more complex arena they'd be more fun to fight

I was thinking to put 3 altered barons instead but that would make thinks harder...I'm open to suggestions tho, like some projectile bullet hell or something related to waves...maybe 2 waves and then the 3 bosses...idk.

Also, did you noticed the reverb in the cavern? ;)

33 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I'm not imitating anyone and anywhere, buddy...maybe inspired is the right word but in not any sense I was inspired by that specific mapset at all. It's my style.

I really don't know why you're so offended about this. (shrugs) Honestly baffled.

I could go on some tirade about how there is no such thing as original content, per se. That all we claim as being our own is ultimately a reinterpretation of all and sundry we have witnessed. But I'm guessing that's going to go nowhere, as we appear to have a dire clash of philosophy, so I won't. Good luck with your maps in the future.

The screenshots look gorgeous, I will play this eventually. It's in my backlog. I promise. *sigh*

5 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

I really don't know why you're so offended about this. (shrugs) Honestly baffled.

I could go on some tirade about how there is no such thing as original content, per se. That all we claim as being our own is ultimately a reinterpretation of all and sundry we have witnessed. But I'm guessing that's going to go nowhere, as we appear to have a dire clash of philosophy, so I won't. Good luck with your maps in the future.

I'm not offended. I'm surprised that you don't get it. My map was a tech-based map and I recycled it into the thing that you see...

But now, it was time to recycle the map and give it a new life.

See? Anyway, time to stop this argument.

Playing the map right now. Just got past the caverns part, and I was pretty much out of ammo. When I got the yellow keycard and got to the fight with the 3 boss pinkies, the only ammo you gave me was 2 packs of shells and an energy canister. I can't kill even one of the pinkies without running out of ammo. So basically I can't finish the map without spawning more ammo. I suggest that you add some more ammo for all the weapons in that boss area, because after fighting like 100 demons in those caves, I was pretty much completely out. Btw I'm also playing on Ultra-Violence.

Other than that I really enjoyed the rest of the map. Just needed more ammo at the end haha. 

Edited by Medenutcracka

@MedenutcrackaHmm. When I tested it for the last time, I ended up with enough ammo to kill the pinkies. And, before some fixes, I put even more ammo to end up stocked...

I can add more ammo for sure...even a berserk (which I can add somewhere) is enough to kill the pinkies if you are brave enough.

Hi there, just played it. Pretty much echo what Scotty said about the combat: the map would be much better by having monsters attack you in more than one direction, and if you use those GZDoom effects to it's full murder potential (cool haze and tricks). Mixed feelings about the visuals. You have some cool and good looking colored light and textures combinations, but the cave part looks very artificial and flat and the techbase is repetitive.

Map's a bit mediocre, but i think you can make your next releases better by diversifying and experimenting with more wild ideas about encounters and looks. My 2c.

Also why is this happening?

yqVo6XV.png

@CatphoThose missing things in the screenshot are dynamic spotlights. Looks like you're not using GZDoom 3.3.0 or above that.

About attacking into more than one position, I can do that in another map with more space to maneuver and have more dynamic encounters but that's hard to balance because of player's gameplay style and tastes.

Sadly, can't please everyone heh...

On 8/26/2018 at 10:29 PM, leodoom85 said:

Funniest dw post for ages, 10/10.

1 hour ago, Grain of Salt said:

Funniest dw post for ages, 10/10.

Too late for the party I see ;)

At last, my map was uploaded to IDGames. What changes it has? here I go

- Added one more secret with a tiny nasty surprise.
- Made some areas bigger.
- Added more decoration and monsters overall as well for health and armor.
- Last area before exit has more health, ammo and it should be a better and hard fight. Be careful.
- Some fixes here and there.

The updated link is in the OP. Enjoy the map folks!!!