Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramiel

How the Arch-Vile may work, even with temporary corpses

So, if I'm not mistaken, persistent corpses were debunked in the gameplay reveal. This brings to question how the Arch-Vile can possibly work without being just a Summoner clone.

archie.png.2b54daa126f316c158056ca4f2b9626f.png

What if the Archie "remembers" demons that have been killed (regardless of the fact that their corpses disappear) in the vicinity and can spawn them back in?

For example, let's say that there's three former humans and an Arch-Vile in an area. You kill two, and they are placed in the Archie's "memory". From there, he can bring those two dead enemies back, and once they are, The Archie cannot spawn any more until more are killed.

Thoughts?

That's pretty much how the Doom 3 arch-vile actually worked. It searched the nearby environs for unspawned entities (either from map start, or having died, depending on some stuff I've not looked into very well) and would (re)spawn them.

That is a pretty good guess.

1.  It is a 1 shot boss and scripted to do so from the demons you only kill in that room.  booooo

2.  It is a stronger summoner ... or it summons summoners.

3.  Monsters still remain as invisible corpses and the AV uses those.

4.  Arch-Vile is like a necromancer and summons dead flesh amalgamations of different classes to kill you.  Maybe like a undead baron or warcraft abomination.

Edited by Zemini

Flag the dead demons is very viable bit conceptually weak. Since he will spawn anyway monsters from thin air, what would actually changes if he spawn previously killed enemies or new enemies? The general feeling is that he is summoning some more enemies and in the thick of the action no one will notice or care if they were previously killed enemies or new enemies.

I got the feeling he could be a scripted miniboss Who would raise corpses already present in the environment.

I think the Arch Vile's job in the new game is to heal damaged demons and revived fallen demons... I don't know, how they gonna make the revive ability works when the dead demons disappeared in seconds!

Why just limit his ability to revie corpses ?

Could revie fresh slayed demons like old DOOM2 and open some kind of mini Hell portal to summon endless waves of demons unless killed

Edited by Linheli

9 hours ago, Zemini said:

4.  Arch-Vile is like a necromancer and summons dead flesh amalgamations of different classes to kill you.  Maybe like a undead baron or warcraft abomination.

I like the sound of this idea.  Perhaps the Archvile can have a large circle of affect around him that resurrects demons right on the spot into undead forms that are twice as powerful in durability to take down. 

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

That's pretty much how the Doom 3 arch-vile actually worked. It searched the nearby environs for unspawned entities (either from map start, or having died, depending on some stuff I've not looked into very well) and would (re)spawn them.

But in Doom 3 newly teleported enemies would appear only in map specific scripted places, whereas op suggests remembering location, where each demon was killed.

Just gonna throw this out there, the GBA version of Doom II had the Archvile resurrecting demons with disappearing corpses. My best guess is an invisible marker is placed at the location of death that notes what type of demon it is. It shouldn't take any effort for the new engine to remember that, it's about as complex as the Original Doom's corpses so modern machines shouldn't even feel it. If the Archvile lands on a marker, it revives the demon from thin air. You could have some kind of the dust in the air gathering and forming the demon kinda thing so it makes logical sense.

If it simply remembers invisible corpses and resapwns them, it would be underwhelming and pointless compared to the Summoner.

It would actually be cool if the Archvile was a boss, however it would hunt you throughout the campaign.

You'll see it behind impenetrable glass, high up in a tower, going into a portal you can't get to yet, etc etc all the while it may revive demons you just fought in that same area, just teasing you here and there.

It all culminates in a boss fight that is far more fleshed out than the boss fights from Doom '16

Then again, the arch nemesis enemy might be the Resident Evil Nemesis - style monster hunting you throughout.

I see Archie as a boss fight. Maybe zombies come out of the floor? I foresee Archie raising its arms and the floor starting on fire.

Edited by geo

I also think the gameplay reveal strongly hints the Arch-Vile is a boss character. Btw I don't get why id Software introduces Slayers arch enemy when there is an Arch-Vile...

While the functionality of the Archvile seems to still have yet to be completely revealed, the epic way in which it appeared at the end of the gameplay footage makes it out to be even more powerful than in previous games, and I agree it may very likely be a boss. In any case it will be a difficult enemy to deal with.

I kinda been thinking that maybe the new power for the Archvile (boss or not) since there is already a summoner, is that in the given area its in, it can create almost realistic hellish illusions that mess with the player. With this, it can "respawn" the demons common in the area, and they just keep reappearing somewhere random in your area until you finally kill the Arch vile. If the Arch vile is a common enemy, when you know one is near, the area can start turning a darker (kinda how it looked in the video). Just my thought, dont think thats how they will do it the game.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, igg said:

I also think the gameplay reveal strongly hints the Arch-Vile is a boss character. Btw I don't get why id Software introduces Slayers arch enemy when there is an Arch-Vile...

Maybe the arch enemy is an archvile with a SSG?

They may be able to pull off presistent corpses like some other modern games, by having the corpses remain in the Room until the player is far from it, enough to not be able to see the corpses vanish, it might work assuming there will be lockdowns like in the previous game.

I reckon its just a support that when in the area will just have some kind of spell/aura cast on all the enemies which just makes them keep coming back to life until you kill him.

I'm oddly okay with him being a boss. For one, I always saw the Archvile as more of a mini boss rather than a regular enemy. And second, I'd rather have him as a threatening and memorable encounter rather than a lame re-skin of the Summoner. Unless of course, they find a way to make him work with disappearing corpses, but I won't hold my breath.

Honestly, seeing some of the current day limitations to its original design (i.e., resurrecting enemies), I wouldn't be surprised if the Arch Ville was turned into a boss encounter. Of course, if it does make a return as a normal enemy, it could operate significantly differently than it did before. Or perhaps they'll just nix the Summoner completely and have the Arch Vile fill that roll.

I would like to think it will work like the Barons at the end of Episode 1, it appears as a boss once and appears as a normal enemy for the rest of the game.

22 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

I would like to think it will work like the Barons at the end of Episode 1, it appears as a boss once and appears as a normal enemy for the rest of the game.

That would be nice. I was kind of disappointed to only fight one cyberdemon in the last game. Since the vile doesnt seem as large as the bosses it is possible.

As far as his role goes, I recall Romero saying that the Archvile was originally designated as a healer. In which case he could be a nuisance by healing enemies you've damaged but not killed, making you have to constantly choose between attacking him or making sure everything is dead first.

Another idea could be that he works similar to the Vex Goblins from Destiny, making enemies invulnerable to damage. Damaging the Vile breaks that but then you have both that enemy and the Vile attacking you.

3 hours ago, Johnatone said:

As far as his role goes, I recall Romero saying that the Archvile was originally designated as a healer. In which case he could be a nuisance by healing enemies you've damaged but not killed, making you have to constantly choose between attacking him or making sure everything is dead first. 

I could see this being a thing, especially with the new "Destructible demons" mechanic they've been talking about, where you get to literally see the demons being chunked apart as you shoot them. Might be a cool effect to see the Archvile kind of "piecing" the demons back together as he heals them. Would also serve as a great visual cue for the player to know the demons are being/have been healed.

/Edit. My general thought on Eternal's Archvile is, if he isn't a miniboss (which is a fun idea), then I really can't see him resurrecting dead enemies, because although this may be conceptually different from the Summoner, the two would literally serve the same function from a gameplay perspective, which seems too redundant. Especially in the context of the "priority hierarchy" in a given combat scenario - which one do you go after, if they both serve the same purpose? However, if the Archvile is a healer, now he takes precedent over the Summoner during an arena. No point in rushing that Summoner now like you normally would, if that Archvile is just going to sit back and heal him too.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

On 11/12/2018 at 5:13 PM, Potatoguy said:

Archvile better not be a boss-only encounter enemy. Want to see him throughout the campaign, and not just once.

Oh God please no! The Archie was a pain in Doom 2.