Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Good Things About the Doom Movie

Everyone has plenty of gripes about the Doom movie starring Karl Urban and the Rock. I'd like to highlight the good points, and encourage others to do the same if something noteworthy hasn't been mentioned yet.

- The main characters are estranged brother and sister. The obvious choice for this sort of thing would be ex-lovers who rekindle their previous fling, so I really like that they went off the beaten path here.

- They could've easily just done CG beasties, but they went old school (Guys in rubber suits!) for most of the creature effects. Having grown up with monster movies filled with nothing BUT practical effects, this really tugged my heart string.

- The first-person segment is pretty divisive, but it's still the highlight of the movie. If they'd done the entire thing this way, it could've really been a cinematic oddity and maybe could've had a cult following.

- If you forget that it's supposed to be Doom, you can still enjoy it for what it is: a dumb monster movie.

- The soundtrack is badass. I got it for my birthday the year the film came out.

The only good thing it did was to pretty much end the directorial career of Andrzej Bartkowiak, which I am eternally grateful for.

Didn't he make the chun-li street fighter movie after Doom?  He better stay the fuck away from game movies because he clearly sucks at doing them.

The best thing about it for me is the acting, from the movie's two leads: Karl Urban and Dwayne Johnson. Karl does great with what he's given, perfectly giving the impression that he's a gruff, but heroic soldier, whilst Johnson goes from sensible to deliciously hammy as the film's Superior-turned-Villain. Plus, during the climax, he gets a pretty good line to taunt Karl's character with.

The acting was probably one of the few good things about the movie from my POV as well.

Good things about the movie in my opinion:

That's it, what?

The FPS sequence is about the only redeeming quality of the movie.

Impie, I pretty much agree with everything you pointed out.  I'd also like to give a shout out to Rosamund Pike.  I have such a crush on her.  With regards to her performance, I think she does a really good job holding her own as a strong character amidst so many alpha males - not as easy as some may presume.

A particular high point, for me, is the soundtrack.  I think Clint Mansell did some cool things there.  Also, it might be a small thing but I really like the end title sequence, too. :)

Given how unpopular the doom movie was, especially among doom nerds, and how this threads tone is still respectful despite "zomygoogles unpoplar opinons dude!" I feel like this is a good opportunity to point out that merely having unpopular opinions doesn't accrue ridicule from one's peers; typically it's the toxic way said opinion is shared. On that note I wonder if anybody finds it funny that this """""unpopular"""" opinion about the good things in the doom movie wasn't followed with mocking jokes like this other one impie posted in the plu thoughts thread:

Impie said:

Don't we get a thread on this subject every 2 weeks?

My thoughts haven't changed. It was made by trolls, it has no cohesive theme, and it's annoying to play.

Hmmmm maybe it's the childish, disrespectful way you said it... how would you feel if people started sharing opinions such as this and in this way about your mods?

Likewise, if somebody came in to this thread and shared that same opinion as it's expressed in that quote, but about the Doom movie, would you not take stock for a second and wonder why they even bothered to post something so disrespectful and brash? Even as a popular opinion most would not back that type of behavior, especially given the point of this thread and all the other places to post the more average/typical views of the movie... at some point is it not asking for conflict?

Hopefully this post helps to open some eyes about really difficult stuff like self-awareness, but at the same time I'm sure other dumbworlders will just look at this as "well that's the type of people that peruse those thar doomworld forums, herher."

On subject I liked the doom movie overall; the number one thing they did right was hire the rock, but I stand by my belief that he should've been the doomguy, evidenced more by his line that he isn't supposed to die... then make a sequel with him battling through hell cause he was not a nice person in life. The doom movie actually stands in better light if viewed as a prequel, more-so since it splits from the purely sci-fi from the beginning and sets up for a battle of good end evil towards the end

I actually enjoyed the doom movie, Urban, the rock and pike were all rather good and the action was entertaining. The monsters costumes and make up were really good as well. The set looked great also.

Any complaints? Well its just an action movie at the end of the day based (loosely) on the doom franchise, I would of liked a bit more depth personally, but then it was just aliens/mutated chromosomes rather than demons from hell. 

The FPS side of it was cool, a tad slow but still good fun really.

The film reminded me of predator mixed with aliens for some reason. 

For your pretty much average action movie, I liked it well enough, and the music is good (NIN credits song is a nice touch).

FPS scene almost single-handedly redeemed the entire film for me.

Almost.

15 hours ago, Fonze said:

Hmmmm maybe it's the childish, disrespectful way you said it... how would you feel if people started sharing opinions such as this and in this way about your mods?

Likewise, if somebody came in to this thread and shared that same opinion as it's expressed in that quote, but about the Doom movie, would you not take stock for a second and wonder why they even bothered to post something so disrespectful and brash? Even as a popular opinion most would not back that type of behavior, especially given the point of this thread and all the other places to post the more average/typical views of the movie... at some point is it not asking for conflict?

Hopefully this post helps to open some eyes about really difficult stuff like self-awareness, but at the same time I'm sure other dumbworlders will just look at this as "well that's the type of people that peruse those thar doomworld forums, herher."

On the same note, how would you feel if I responded to your threads with browbeating lectures about your old posts in unrelated threads? I'd look a bit like a condescending prick, yeah?

That thread asked for opinions on Plutonia, and I answered honestly. If fans of the mod got mad that I knocked it, that's their problem -- I clearly criticized the design, not the people who play it. If you want to talk about how tone is more important than content, make a thread about it or PM me directly.

15 hours ago, Liberation said:

Any complaints? Well its just an action movie at the end of the day based (loosely) on the doom franchise, I would of liked a bit more depth personally, but then it was just aliens/mutated chromosomes rather than demons from hell.

That's my biggest issue with it as a Doom fan. Outside of the license it's supposed to be based on, it's still worth a watch now and then. And I totally agree that the Rock probably shoulda been Doomguy, althought it was a lot of fun watching him turn.

Edited by Impie

What was good about the movie?

The FPS scene

The Rock screaming, "This isn't supposed to happen to me" as he gets dragged away

Nanotech doors (I'd forgotten about them, thank you @Solmyr)

If you go in without expecting anything from the Doom video game, the movie plays rather well as a relatively standard slightly futuristic zombie mutation movie

First person bit.

They at least used one monster from Doom (Pinky, which was the one from Doom 3, but they get points for effort).

There was a chainsaw, I guess.

A quote from Dwayne Johnson: "I'm not supposed to DIE!" as he disappears into the wall.

The rifles they had seemingly were meant to resemble the ones the Zombiemen and Doomguy sprites hold.

Gives us a common punching bag to laugh at, and possibly birthed another one that already looks to be laughable.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, Fonze said:

Given how unpopular the doom movie was, especially among doom nerds, and how this threads tone is still respectful despite "zomygoogles unpoplar opinons dude!" I feel like this is a good opportunity to point out that merely having unpopular opinions doesn't accrue ridicule from one's peers; typically it's the toxic way said opinion is shared.

I always see it as "too-far-away-to-get-your-ass-kicked syndrome". Something like this:

"Hey guys, just joined the forum. I just released my map I worked really long on. I hope you all like it."

"Piece of trash. Sucked balls...(in a bad way...). MS Paint textures. Boring square rooms and linear progression. Quit in 2 minutes. Negative 5 stars! Die horribly!"

It's like those guys that go to a rock concert, and slip their hand through 2 levels of people to grab a chick's ass in the dark, without getting caught and getting the shit beat out of them (like they deserve.) Not only is it pathetically distasteful, it's pathetic. It's also cowardly, rude, and, worst of all, unnecessary. The internet has a wonderfully unique quality in that it provides a space in which a person can completely drop the walls they normally present to the world, and instead they can show their true colors and be themselves. It's not the internet's fault that the some of the people behind those walls just ain't worth looking at.

Doom movie: Moderately enjoyable as an action movie. Disappointing for a Doom movie. Why? A small list:

1. Doom is the baddest thing ever, and deserved to be bigger than life in every aspect. Should have been non-stop blood and guts, danger around every corner, teeth-grindingly frightening, yet a taste of "rip and tear" smoothness, and Evil Dead II-like humor.
  2. wtf happened to hell? WTF?? It's about hell, not some lab experiment tired mad scientist nonsense. It just felt like the producers and writers were so afraid to make it "too Christian", or some other similar gutless excuse. Genome bla bla? WT flying F?
  3. It just felt too safe to me...every aspect of it, like they were afraid to go for it. And then the tacked-on First-Person view, which was the *only* real thing it had going for it (other than Rosamund...oh yeah). The movie was so thin, they had to show the best things going - Rosamund...oh yeah and the 1st-person view in the friggin' trailer - and you've seen the movie.

Come on, fellas: Make it bad-ass, include Hell, and grow a pair, and Go for it!

The first person sequence was cool. The acting wasn't bad. I think it would have been more successful if it wasn't called Doom though. Because let's face it, it's not really Doom.

The FPS sequence was well done. The use of both CG and prosthetics for the enemies worked well in their own respective ways. I think Reaper made for a good main character.

I agree with the op.

I have some respect for the movie but I can't recommend it as a high quality movie and disapprove of it being a Doom movie. I thought it captures some of Doom 3s vibe well.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, S_Stryker said:

The FPS sequence was well done. The use of both CG and prosthetics for the enemies worked well in their own respective ways. I think Reaper made for a good main character.

Honestly, I would like to see him reprise the role in an actually Doom-like Doom movie.

Karl Urban was perfect for the Doom Guy. And while Dwayne Johnson is a little goofy, he fit right in. He's a huge muscly spectacle and reminds me of the Quake 2 marines. I remember as a kid thinking Kurt Russel could pull it off, after seeing him in "Soldier."