Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nocturne

Bladerunner/Cyberpunk ideas

I've always enjoyed these types of environments and stories, so imagine my excitement after all the Cyberpunk 2077 updates. I decided to try my hand at mapping and while I'm not the best, I do understand the basics and was inspired to start a little project. The initial idea was to create a hub style set of levels with RPG elements (Vendors, Upgrades, NPC Dialogue) and a story to tell. So far I've been playing around with 3D floors, abusing dynamic lighting and such but I found that the resources I wanted weren't so easy to find. The closest I've been able to get my hands on are textures/weapons from Dark Forces. 

Anyways, figured I'd put this here on the off chance anyone else is interested in such a project. Might be pretty fun to colab with other more talented people to make it happen. 

Screenshot_Doom_20180830_213326.png.fff0047db1375103d6173c28fefb4087.png

The hl2 mod "Neotokyo" might be a good source of ideas, and was a hobby project not a studio funded piece of media. They did the "excessive visual noise in the city" thing pretty well, but not the gameplay alas

There was a map based on Deus Ex that really blew me away. Lots of awesome cyber punk design ideas there

I would really love to see something like this come to fruition. While Doom maps tend to be quite diverse with themes ranging from urban cities, hellscapes, hocus pocus dos games up to up to terrywads, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent Blade Runner inspired map.

Dark Forces resources seem to fit quite well actually. I guess it all depends on additional decoration like neon signs in chinese / japanese and the occasional rusty metal.

Oh, I almost forgot. Black Metal Chainsaw does synthwawe inspired megawad. You can check out thread if you seek some inspiration:

Ive actually been working on one myself, its still in the early concepts stages and it may be something il go back to once SD2 is completed.

Here is a small snippet of the in game hud i made from scratch.

Spoiler

111.png

with dymanic hud visor (on/ off) which changes hud style ect

112.png.c8cd47b0e17cf2a702aed92bcc93a2e1.png

Just registered to post this -- I was playing around with PBR materials in GZDoom a few months ago and ended up with a cyberpunk-looking office. Didn't really implement much in the way of gameplay yet but wanted to stray from vanilla-style designs. RPG elements are probably a good direction to go in. For this type of level I was thinking more about cyberspace/hacking/puzzle stuff, like having to dig around for information on the office network in order to break security and progress up through the floors of the building. Would be willing to collab but not sure if this is usable for anything.

2018-08-31-194740_1366x768_scrot.png

2018-08-31-194813_1366x768_scrot.png

On 8/30/2018 at 11:03 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

Zanieon did cyberpunk map, check it out:

Mind that i still need to finish that one, though it entered in low-rate development again, but from time to time i work on some bits such as this camera:

Huge thanks to everyone for all the replies! Everything posted here will be incredibly helpful for inspiration. I'll post a few screens once I have something worth showing. :)

i feel like you can't have cyberpunk without having abject slums covered in hypercommercial billboards - the theme ain't all about the high end real estate, you have to tackle the attempted erasure of every other class at the same time

that said there's some really beautiful screenshots in this thread <3

10 hours ago, spiral said:

Just registered to post this -- I was playing around with PBR materials in GZDoom a few months ago and ended up with a cyberpunk-looking office. Didn't really implement much in the way of gameplay yet but wanted to stray from vanilla-style designs. RPG elements are probably a good direction to go in. For this type of level I was thinking more about cyberspace/hacking/puzzle stuff, like having to dig around for information on the office network in order to break security and progress up through the floors of the building. Would be willing to collab but not sure if this is usable for anything

Usable? Heh. The lighting is very good, it makes those screenshots look like they're made with a more advanced engine. Thumbs up for that map.

12 hours ago, yakfak said:

i feel like you can't have cyberpunk without having abject slums covered in hypercommercial billboards - the theme ain't all about the high end real estate, you have to tackle the attempted erasure of every other class at the same time

that said there's some really beautiful screenshots in this thread <3

That's exactly what I'll be going for. There will be clean and beautiful environments too, but the slums and dangerous neighborhoods are what interest me the most at least for a project that's intended to have a story. Maybe a trench coat wearing antihero of some kind as well. :)

Of course I've always loved certain retrowave/synthwave artists and even a few that made their own sound entirely (The Midnight, Timecop1983, Dance With The Dead, etc). So ideally I would love to throw some rad music in for the mood. 

Edited by Nocturne

It's a little dark but I've been working on my Bladerunner-ish look a bit. Found some handy textures from Duke 3D, which will help me with things like dodgy hotel signs and such. And what scummy future would be complete without some kind graffiti covered night club, just out of reach from the ground level?763191642_MAP03at2018_09.0319-27-26.147R2787.jpg.4d10ac4f3693e14e598e5f899c3f293d.jpg

53 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

you should stick to using fewer light sources and add some bright maps to your textures. a lot of people on here still use laptops to play doom on and it's highly likely it will lag.