Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Old farts club

I can't relate to most people who are just a few years younger than me. They speak in alien "memes", every second phrase they say is ironic, and I can't grasp their personality. Will there even be something left if you take them and remove all memes? Or maybe it's just their own language and I can't understand it (or sometimes can't stand it, see my thread about annoying words). This can mean only one thing: I'm an old fart now.

Who's with me?

I clearly remember the day I noticed, that I am actually old now. It was when I asked someone if they like „He-Man“. They didn‘t know He-Man and only the  did I realize, that those are actually kids and I am an old fart. 

I get most of the memes, but the meaning of some of the new vocabulary eludes me as well. 

I'm about as old as a Millennial can get while still being a Millennial (i.e. mid 30s) so aren't quite so allergic to modern meme stuff.  To be honest, it's just the Internet equivalent of those silly phrases you and your mates came up with at school.  For example, in my social circle at school, bad stuff was described as "dry", we pointed out trees in an over-enthusiastic way because someone once did, and we constantly asked each other whether, if you woke up in the belly of a dead dog, would you eat your way out? 

These were the memes of my childhood.  With the Internet, it just means people can share their stupid running jokes with a wider group.  It's no different to how kids have always acted, and likely always will.

I think it's not the memes per se. Rather, every generation gets an imprint of social behaviour markers for what's normal, and base their expectations on these imprints they get while growing up. But society changes and so do the markers, and suddenly you're facing younger generations that display some very obvious differences in the way they talk, dress etc. That can get quite uncomfortable because their behaviour no longer matches your expectations.

However this does not change the fact that every individual has a unique personality. You can always try to relate to that and ignore the differences in behaviour etc. that result from changes in social norms.

Conversely, if you have little in common with someone on a personal level, belonging to the same generation probably won't help that much.

People who say emotes in real life. Yea I've seen that before, kinda dumb especially if whoever they are talking to didn't bother memorizing all twitch emotes.

I'm 27, most of the time i don't feel like an old fart, until i meet someone who was born in 2000 and is legally an adult or i look on the date of a Youtube video that is over 10 years old only then i feel the "weight" of time.

@Pirx that only counts if you are playing vanilla Doom in Dos Box and Chocolate Doom, none of that modern source port stuff kids play nowadays like the B-word and the GZ-word.

im old as heck but support kids supplanting our shit jokes with their shit jokes, and our shit politics with their good politics >:)

24 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

I'm 27, most of the time i don't feel like an old fart, until i meet someone who was born in 2000 and is legally an adult or i look on the date of a Youtube video that is over 10 years old only then i feel the "weight" of time.

@Pirx that only counts if you are playing vanilla Doom in Dos Box and Chocolate Doom, none of that modern source port stuff kids play nowadays like the B-word and the GZ-word.

Ok I was playing Doom with the GZ recently, in 1440p even, and some dude who is just a few years younger than I asked "why don't you play something with better graphics".

And you know when you feel like being an old fart the most? When someone you held in your arms as a baby is now an adult.

6 minutes ago, Pirx said:

And you know when you feel like being an old fart the most? When someone you held in your arms as a baby is now an adult.

I remember that feeling, is both wonderful and depressing at the same time.

14 minutes ago, Pirx said:

Ok I was playing Doom with the GZ recently, in 1440p even, and some dude who is just a few years younger than I asked "why don't you play something with better graphics".

What did you answer? That dude is immature, you know you've matured when you stop caring about graphics and you play and enjoy games for what they are regardless of their generation.

To be honest i was surprised when i found out there are teenagers modding this game even if they are a minority in the community and im not talking about only this forum and Zdoom forums.

53 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

What did you answer? That dude is immature, you know you've matured when you stop caring about graphics and you play and enjoy games for what they are regardless of their generation.

Something along the lines of "good enough to have fun", iirc, I mean, why the hell should I care about someone else's  opinion if I have my own.

Gonna turn 34 on the 24th this month. Only one more year 'til I reach middle age!

Yet, I'm starting to get a bald spot, so I have to do a comb-over.

36 now and my hair is long gone. On my head that is. Unfortunately it is now groing on my ears!

Don't worry, I'm only 21 and I can't understand 90% of these memes either, nothing funny about loud or deep fried memes..... or babies eating sugar :^)

33 in November and can't stand Millennials  Gen Z, but then I do have to remind myself, I was like that when I was younger and all is forgiven ( with the exception of the little wankers on the field outside my house at 12pm playing music).

Do find younger people complain like fuck these days over... well, not a lot really. Same shit everyone else went through but people are more vocal about things these days, which I suppose is not a bad thing really.

Edited by Liberation : Yeah, I was "Bauul'd" fair and square

10 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Don't worry, I'm only 21 and I can't understand 90% of these memes either, nothing funny about loud or deep fried memes..... or babies eating sugar :^)

Sometimes, I don't even understand you. :P

if it's consolation to anyone here I am a 26-year-old millennial piece of shit and even *I* don't understand me sometimes

In the future all these filthy millenials will complain about gen z memes :) and then later the gen z-ers will complain about the next gen memes :D

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

if it's consolation to anyone here I am a 26-year-old millennial piece of shit and even *I* don't understand me sometimes

Think you are too old to be a millennial, I always thought people born after 2000 are millennials.

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

In the future all these filthy millenials will complain about gen z memes :) and then later the gen z-ers will complain about the next gen memes :D

That's already been around for 2 decades though. I just hope the dumb "generation snowflake" tag doesn't hold to the next generation that aren't even the people complaining online all day.

3 hours ago, Solmyr said:

To be honest i was surprised when i found out there are teenagers modding this game even if they are a minority in the community and im not talking about only this forum and Zdoom forums.

I'm from that minority :"D

and I'm glad the truth because nowadays the current generations do not appreciate games, they only believe that graphics is what matters

I seem to have matured already in this aspect xD