Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

You won't believe it! This doomgod has been cheating all along!

Well I think at this point shit is legitimately stirred. It could've died down swiftly, but enough people came here and assumed that since a whole thread on this topic exists, it must be a worthy topic to discuss.

If someone for instance cheated by building or by using slowdown, it would be detectable in how they turn. It's similar to how some captchas work by looking at how the mouse is moved. There are just natural patterns to look for. We could pipe all demos through an analysis tool in principle, but I don't think it's a particular priority. Someone could also figure out how to fake this eventually, but if you put in that much work maybe you deserve it. 😂

Something like a player making a segment while standing still on a lift? Ya, no way to detect something like that.

Why there isn't much streaming in this community probably comes down to the fact that it's old and existed separate from the speedrunning boom that happened some years ago. The hype for streaming has mostly come from people of other communities also doing doom. There's also the fact that, if I have to record a video I may as well stream, if my internet allows it, because then I can cut and submit a video easily from the archive. No need to worry about this with doom so not as much motivation perhaps.

8 hours ago, Altima said:

Considering the ridiculous things ZM has done, I guess it just personally strikes me as odd that a 90-minute run can show a bit of fatigue but a 4+ hour run doesn't really show any signs of it

Speed and max are different though. In a speed demo you either go fast or go safe, there's no other option unless you don't really care about your run being actually fast. Max is different, you can retreat and replenish health and ammo if something went wrong (map32, again) and that wouldn't cost you a lot of time. I can totally see AV being doable on auto-pilot for the most part in fact, simply because you have to get all the secrets and kill all the enemies.

1 minute ago, kraflab said:

Why there isn't much streaming in this community

Streaming doesn't verify the run either. You can pre-record everything and just play it on stream. Works with any game.

1 hour ago, Archi said:

Streaming doesn't verify the run either. You can pre-record everything and just play it on stream. Works with any game.

Ya, my explanation was just an answer to the question of why it's not as prevalent as other communities.

Pretty late to this thread, but nothing in Ancalagon's speedrunning career to date, or this run in particular, makes me think there's cheating going on.

Also I'd be sad if the standard for a verified run these days is if it came from a live broadcast on Twitch, but that feels like it might be the future we're headed towards.

It would be nice if extraordinary runs had a minimum of anti-cheat theater, has been my main point. The "welp go home, only streamers allowed for all runs" is I'm guessing something talked about on irc/discord and then bleeding over into this thread. Or just an easy way to hyperbolize my point to make it a laughable consideration

In order to change anything in that direction you would need a broad consensus not only from well-known and historic players, but the newer more active players. And on top of that it would be irrelevant without Andy being on board. I don't see anyone pushing for a blanket change to requirements for runs, so I don't think that will happen any time soon.

We used to joke that anyone posting pa02 would be banned because it would have to be cheated, but zm proved us all wrong. I can't really think of an "extraordinary" run that would warrant extra scrutiny. Runners are just too good for anything to seem unlikely. A new runner beating 30uv, that would make us all skeptical, because it would be contextually extraordinary. Something with absurdly good luck or bizarre movement would draw suspicion too. But these types of situations just don't happen with any degree of frequency.

So, if that is your main point I think no one even disagrees or disputes it. It's just that such a run hasn't happened.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:58 AM, Ancalagon said:

I've also done multiple 7-8 hour streams attempting to max some maps, and this doesn't compare to the grinds other runners sometimes do, what is a 4 hour chill session through av?

Watching his 7 hour stream on hr2 was more entertaining than I expected

On 9/4/2018 at 5:58 PM, Ancalagon said:

a whole bunch of text

Thank you for clearing up any doubts. Good run. Congratulations. I concede any further questions.