Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device

September, 2018

lh48HUk.png

> Download CC4
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboard
(I dropped the ball, this month. Sorry! Consult NaZa's board above for a complete list!)

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In September 2018 The Doomworld Ironman League dies to @lupinx-Kassman's famous duology from Community Chest 4, MAP20: Interstellar Sickness & its sequel in MAP21: Shaman's Device, -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)). What a treat! This self-contained story is nestled deep within one of the most substantial megaWADs ever put together and has a decisive beginning and end, so it's perfect for use with the single-level ranking system we've employed in the past for maps like Jade Earth and Warlock's Hearth. Expect lots of crossfire, puzzling and shiny details as we try to survive from the Light through Dark Sectors of this rogue AI's domain. Not an easy task, by any means. Good luck and die well! I'm looking forward immensely to watching all runs of the mandatory blur sphere cyberdemon fight in Dark Sector.

Note: Because we are using the percentage model for ranking across two levels instead of one, you should only choose to concern yourself with reaching the end of MAP21 in good time instead of the end of MAP20. Monster counts are cumulative: 621 monsters, in this case. Streamers should make sure that the monster count is displayed in the HUD at all times, otherwise I'll be rounding down from the percentage offered in the tally screen.

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• None documented, yet.
prboom-plus -file cchest4 -complevel 9 -warp 20 -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate if usable), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : no leader board, yuck!

wait wha???????????????????????

Now that's an interesting choice.....I did played the wad but has some tricky moments. Guess that I'll prepare this one.

I'm practicing this one, too. I attempted a run through of 20 and I'm not sure if I want to participate with how boring it was, even up to the large fight toward the end.

However, I am tired and somewhat irritable, so I'll give it another go tomorrow before declaring an official run.

So basically 2 maps this time around. Does this mean another quick death? We shall see soon enough.

This is gonna be fun, especially since I haven't touched Doom for almost an entire week :v .

I can already hear the map 21 music :) looking forward to watching lots of demos of this, good luck everyone

Never played this, but due to not finishing in the bottom 10 last time I'll go cat 3, with a twist: keyboard only. So @Steve D can I be a guest for Keyboard Kup this month? :D

Clarification for those who are unsure as to how these are meant to be played, since I've worded dual-set selections in other titles similarly: these two levels are played MAP20 into MAP21 as part of the same recording. One attempt! Dying on MAP20 does not entitle you to a second go on MAP21 and vice versa.

So I'll finally be getting to play a little bit of the Community Chest series. And I've just realised since I won last month's Britbowl, that I will have to go first this time around. Oh boy, I don't like the sound of that "forced blursphere w/ Cyber fight"....

10 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Streamers should make sure that the monster count is displayed in the HUD at all times,

For those running (G)Zdoom and not wanting to bother with the alternative hud, I threw this together in like twenty minutes.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Uh oh, it's the return of terrible commentary that no one asked for!

Category 2, 166 kills, probably the most agonising place to die because a little longer and the kill count could be so much more. Down to the bottom for me this month.

Can I just add that I've been awake for about 26 hours. Yes this is my excuse.

Edited by Eris Falling

2 hours ago, HexaDoken said:

For those running (G)Zdoom and not wanting to bother with the alternative hud, I threw this together in like twenty minutes.

Excellent.  I prefer the standard hud and this is exactly what I need, also outside competitions.

Category 1. Survived from both levels with the following stats.

MAP20: KIST = 100% / 97%(124/127) / 60%(3/5) / 22:16

MAP21: KIST = 100% / 97%(324/334) / 100%(4/4) / 35:17

Total = 100% / 97%(448/461) / 78%(7/9) / 57:33

I really appreciate that those pits (which I encountered during the play) were totally escapable. Fantastic level design in overall, of course.

antares_Ironman_cchest4.zip

Edited by antares031 : a little bit of correction

Survived, cat 2. I was sure i'd get fucked by the cyb/invis bit but it's not as bad as i remembered (i thought it was 4 cybs at once!).

I adore Shaman's Device, what a fantastically surreal level - not played it for years now so it was nice to revisit it.

Cherry picking maps is a cool idea for Ironman - Citadel at the Edge of Eternity when?

Re. Plutonia i put the run off again and again because i never found a good slot to potentially be playing for hours and hours and just never got around to it in the end, which sucks because i know that wad inside out.

Edited by Scotty

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Cherry picking maps is a cool idea for Ironman - Citadel at the Edge of Eternity when?

Uh oh!

Cleared map 20 in a bit over 17 minutes (with some near deaths cause trees).  Almost died in, amazingly enough, an even dumber way than I did last month at the start of map 21, but survived and managed to get past the yellow key area which I thought I was going to die at.  Cyb + invis sphere usually spells doom for me.

Of course, I hit 240/300 enemies killed in map 21 when a vile decided to say to hell with warping when it should have and just roasted me.  Thanks!

On the plus side, getting to play through these two great maps again was fun.

DWIronman_cchest4_AnimaZero.zip

fafa.png

"Agent6 died, but at least 6 tried." - Agent6's final words. Category 1.

So yeah, I'm honestly fine with this death considering that I haven't touched Doom (or any game, for that matter) for almost a whole week. I could've easily done better but I had to take the bait and go for the Berserk and punch the HK, which I failed horribly somehow lol. And then, proceeded further with 18% health and shortly died afterwards. I liked MAP20, those encounters were pretty interesting given their very safe nature, even the Cybie room with the red key was pretty safe, but I decided to not rush in like a moron and then die when I could've easily survived. But I eventually did just that :v .

Oh well.

agent6cchestdemo.zip

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

I really appreciate that those pits are totally escapable. Fantastic level design in overall, of course.

YOU LIED!!!!!!!!!!!

Map20 DNF stuck in an inescapable pit.

noisy_cchest4_m20_21.zip

category 1.1 (this technically rounds up to Category 2; I skimmed the maps a couple years ago.  I think I actually played half of Map21 if it's the one I'm thinking of but whatever)

5 hours ago, Pirx said:

Krypto won last month's plutonia? 

According to Alfonzo, yes.

Which is too bad for ZeroMaster and his sub-30 minute run that just didn't include the secret levels. But, you know, rules.

11 hours ago, NaZa said:

Never played this, but due to not finishing in the bottom 10 last time I'll go cat 3, with a twist: keyboard only. So @Steve D can I be a guest for Keyboard Kup this month? :D

Yes, by all means! Welcome aboard. :)

I'll be the first one to bite... but I wasn't bitten...

Rather, I saw a Godsphere. I saw a Godsphere, that's the key word...

doom00.png.4423299213d4ef90e9860c020dc0d66c.png

also, Fonz, you'll really like how I cheesed the AV trap in MAP20

Dead on MAP21... with 608/621 monsters total... cat 3 because I've practiced MAP20 but went into MAP21 blind, as I've figured it more like "if I survive MAP20 this is a bonus 2I'll do blind"... Still, had I not played MAP20 prior to recording I doubt I'd be in a good position to get as far as I have.

The picture says it all, really. Played so well up to that point when I got a BSOD. It's July and the Dorkenings all over again: So close, yet so far away. No survivals yet!

oh yeah. keyboard only

ironsep18_naza.zip

Edited by NaZa : category clarificat

Well, I survived both maps but this time, I went for a faster approach. So, that being said, it was category 3, all prepared. And, sorry that I can't remember how many monsters I killed but....yolo.

25:06 for both maps. Enjoy.

cc4ld85.zip

Here's my run, category 2.

Finished this epic duo in 59:09.
Stats (I don't know if they count when we finish the map, but here you go anyway) :

Map 20
Kills : 310 / 324

Items : 126 / 127
Secrets : 2 / 5

Map 21
Kills : 289 / 300
Items : 258 / 334
Secrets : 2 / 4

As of today, these two maps are still my favorite from lupinx-Kassman (even though his Ancient Aliens entry is quite remarkable as well). Visuals are great, there are plenty of cool effects involving midtextures and invisible bridges, and the looks and scale of map 21 are something to behold. I dig the Star Wars vibe.
Gameplay-wise, both maps feature a wide array of scenarios with some epic fights here and there, and it's all good to me. The Cyberdemon fight with the mandatory Invisibility sphere pick-up was a bit scary, but with some luck and health to spare it's not too bad.
Music is also a strong point of these maps :)

cc420-Ironman-5909-wh.zip