Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr_Kek

A good (and legal) way to get Doom 1 and Doom 2?

Title says all. I just need a good and legal way to get Doom 1 and Doom 2 I don't care whether it's free or not I just want the two games separately. I have found The Ultimate Doom and Doom II + final Doom on Gog.com but I'm not sure if it'll give me the wad files for them or not. I'm completely new to this so I don't know if that's how it works.

Okay thnaks just one more question. If I get those two from Gog will I still need an engine to run it? I got ZDoom a few weeks ago.

Gog will have a way to run them, probably DOSBox. I would highly recommend using GZDoom or PRBoom to play them these days, or Chocolate Doom for the same experience as DOS without the hassle.

Yes, the GOG and Steam versions are the best ways to acquire these games these days (unless you feel like snapping up used Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II CDs on eBay). Both digital versions come bundled with DOS Box. They'll work out of the box like that but it's not the ideal way to play them these days. Source ports are the way to go.

Ok so I just opened up the shareware Doom in PrBoom and is the screen size supposed to be that small?

Screenshot (14).png

Id says that the only legal way to obtain DOOM games is from their website.  Their website does not allow you to download them.  I think it is all illegal so just find a friend or someone to send you a copy of theirs so you get it for free.

3 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

Id says that the only legal way to obtain DOOM games is from their website.  Their website does not allow you to download them.  I think it is all illegal so just find a friend or someone to send you a copy of theirs so you get it for free.

Any copy bought from GoG and Steam is legal, sharing a copy of the IWADS to someone else is ilegal!!

In a nutshell if you were gonna buy the game from GoG, you are ready to go, don't let the other post confuse you, he doesn't know what he's talking about

6 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

Any copy bought from GoG and Steam is legal, sharing a copy of the IWADS to someone else is ilegal!!

Where did you see that it is legal to buy from Steam or GoG?

Just now, Doge Sword said:

Both GOG and Steam are official distribution platforms, neither GoG nor Steam can sell games without an arrangement from the publisher (bethesda)

8 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

.... really?

10 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

Well, Id would have to give the rights to GoG and Steam to sell it.  It's not like, someone happens to have a copy of Doom on a computer in a corner, puts it on a CD and says, oh I know, I'll put this up for sale on GoG!  That's not quite how it works.  It's like, Netflix has to have the rights in order to show the shows and movies that it shows.  Employees working for Netflix don't just happen to have 'Forrest Gump' (for example) sitting on a shelf and decide to upload it to some server.  No, Netflix gets the rights for each, individual show and movie, and if they don't have those rights, then they can't stream those shows.  And it's the same with GoG and Steam.

It's totally legal on GoG and Steam for Doom/Doom 2/ etc. to be sold.  If it weren't, Id would file a lawsuit, as well as Bethesda, but since it's mostly Bethesda now, that's who it's going through.

11 minutes ago, Doge Sword said:

Just now, Doge Sword said:

I swear Id said that it was only legal from their site!

This guy just keeps on giving!

4 hours ago, Dr_Kek said:

Alright thanks for that it was very helpful :)

If you also intend on playing Heretic or Hexen in the future, please note that GOG does not have them.  Only Steam does.

Heretic and Hexen can also be purchased in CD format separately via Amazon or Ebay if you are so inclined.  This also goes for Hexen's expansion pack "Deathkings of the Dark Citadel."

All 3 games are supported in Zdoom, GZdoom, and most other source ports that already support Doom and company, such as Chocolate Hexen. 

1 hour ago, Doge Sword said:

Are you sure you're not doing something like thinking of the splash screen at the end of the shareware episode of Doom 1 where it says the only place you can get the game is by calling id software?

TIL I bought Doom illegally at least 5 different times, including a physical copy in a video game store.

OP, buy them from either GOG or Steam. The biggest thing you want from either is the iwad which is what you would use for an engine like GZDoom.

3 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

Clearly this was the case BEFORE Steam and GOG were around. This does not apply anymore.

If there's still confusion about buying and running Doom, the wiki has a fairly comprehensive guide: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/How_to_download_and_run_Doom

It uses Chocolate Doom as the engine in the example, but it's pretty easy to unzip GZDoom or any other and use them as well. Chocolate Doom and GZDoom will automatically detect the install location for GOG versions on Windows, so you don't need to do any manual copying of IWADs around. Some other engines (possibly including prboom-plus) don't have that feature though.