Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Mancubi fireballs have a chance of clipping through walls, in vanilla and boom source port.

4 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I just found out that many of ZDoom's features are actually from Hexen.

Early in its development, ZDoom didn't even support Boom maps. It was essentially a glorified limit-removing port until version 1.16 released in December of '98. In the same version, many of Hexen's features like ACS, hubs, quakes, and linedef action arguments came about for ZDoom.

Somewhat strangely, it took until about 2.0.90 (in 2004) for full Heretic/Hexen/Strife support to become a thing in ZDoom.

When I was a little Kid, I always hear the Hitscan grunt, I didn't know that they were Zombified during that time until I found out when I grew up by 2008 when I searched at the Wikipedia.

Recently found out Mancubi fireballs are supposedly created from Lost Souls.

8 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Recently found out Mancubi fireballs are supposedly created from Lost Souls.

Do you mean that the graphic was made starting with the lost soul graphic? Or that, in game, the fireballs are somehow converted into their current form from lost souls or use lost souls as starter fuel or something?

Speaking of oddities on the iwads map i found a line in E2M7 with an unknown 65535 action
PbiAEWl.png

Either that or my doom iwad is screwed...

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Do you mean that the graphic was made starting with the lost soul graphic? Or that, in game, the fireballs are somehow converted into their current form from lost souls or use lost souls as starter fuel or something?

That their fireballs were created from the Lost Soul's sprite.

15 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Speaking of oddities on the iwads map i found a line in E2M7 with an unknown 65535 action

Nope, that's always been there. E2M7 is the oldest level developed for Doom, and as such has several quirks about it as it was developed alongside the game itself that survived the games development somehow. Of note, a bunch of linedefs have flags 9-15 set, which serve no function at all.

Edited by Edward850

41 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Nope, that's always been there. E2M7 is the oldest level developed for Doom, and as such as several quirks about it as it was developed alongside the game itself that survived the games development somehow. Of note, a bunch of linedefs have flags 9-15 set, which serve no function at all.

Yeah, pretty cool, huh? I'm pretty sure that level is the final release of the famed "soldiers playing cards right when All Hell broke loose" level, with that actual card-playing room now an empty room. In one of the alphas (v0.5??), there's 3 Doomguys, a rotating chair, and the actual card table! I nearly flipped when I saw that. Tom Hall's baby, of course.

I'm sure you know, Edward850: Lee Killough had to put special code in Boom to detect the presence of one of those flags, to indicate that the engine should ignore the other previously-unused flags, to simultaneously allow E2M7 to work properly, yet allow those bits to be used for new purposes. Kind of a neat trick, vs. trying to do some tedious "IF E2M7, do this" nonsense. Very cool.

I've always tough the circles are same size, but they don't. First is smaller.

SKINSYMB.jpg.6fd822944d766c95c6e5647a87f645b0.jpg

6 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

PbiAEWl.png

Unsigned 65535 = -1 signed. I'd hazard a guess that during development, there was a switch there, and then it was removed, and the mapper (either Tom or Sandy, for that map) thought "no action" was -1 instead of 0.

It's even possible that "no action" had been -1 at a time, spawning this confusion. (In vats.)

13 hours ago, Gez said:

Unsigned 65535 = -1 signed. I'd hazard a guess that during development, there was a switch there, and then it was removed, and the mapper (either Tom or Sandy, for that map) thought "no action" was -1 instead of 0.

It's even possible that "no action" had been -1 at a time, spawning this confusion. (In vats.)

Yeah, it's hard to tell. That value could have meant anything - it could have been before the idea of flags was solidified. The "-1" thing seems quite plausible. Maybe John Romero could shed some light. It's also interesting that they left some as-is. That level might have gone through hundreds of iterations before settling to what we know to be E2M7.

I know one thing - it was much more cohesive looking in the beta!

I just found out there was ever an "untriggerable secret" on one of my favorite maps of all time: Map15 - Industrial Zone

I also just found out that it is not "untriggerable"

When the PE attempts to attack the player at 3:07, the player is forced to the floor because another actor is being spawned on top of him, which can't happen in PRBoom, thereby revealing the secret.

Few days ago i found out that doom 2016 music has subliminal message hidden in one track saying "jesus loves you" .

(Not particularly Doom, rather Doomworld.)
Linguica wasn't of an official adult age when he (co)founded the Forums. Source - cite the date he made the comment and the one of the foundation of the site.
While this might not be new, I suddenly find the rather embarrassing shenanigans loser acts I've committed at 17 not so excusable by my then-young age.

4 hours ago, Cell said:

(Not particularly Doom, rather Doomworld.)
Linguica wasn't of an official adult age when he (co)founded the Forums. Source - cite the date he made the comment and the one of the foundation of the site.
While this might not be new, I suddenly find the rather embarrassing shenanigans loser acts I've committed at 17 not so excusable by my then-young age.

17 isn't such a young age anyway. I think a decent amount of matury is expected at that age.

I recently found out there's 2 cheat codes in DooM I never knew about:

IDMYPOS and IDCHOPPERS

IDMYPOS shows your co-ordinates in the map whilst IDCHOPPERS grants you a free chainsaw.

Also found out that IDSPISPOPD stands for "ID Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles OfPutrid Debris."

Not sure how official that last one is :l

Around 2011-ish, I had a rather embarrassing rant about CEIL1_1 being unnaturally offgrid.
CEIL1_1.png.85404d6749322c69cb34e3ed54f66f63.png
I should've lowered my standards, shut my mouth and remain wise instead... here's how the original "wooden wall" patch resources for WOOD3/WOOD4 look like. Yes, the raw format in the IWADs.
(It is also worth noting that none of them looks exactly like CEIL1_1 - the flat must've derived by taking the middle one's top panel's right side and multiplying it seamlessly. Just a theory.)
WALL97_1.png.4299f2ba9cf9312055f92b755a7bc25d.png   WALL97_2.png.3f9f06f25603c51c4dd94ce4a606405f.png   WALL97_3.png.7713c18c20bd8d872e7987bef8e0b492.png
And we ain't even finished yet, WOOD5 also surprised me.
W96_1.png.c938cbd09f05b64ec3ea57d4f6e21073.png   W96_2.png.3f428f2143125a97783596da02ae8952.png
Is it normal that I am legitimately creeped out now?

Edited by Cell

@KVELLER it's the Icon of Sin marble made by DEM1_1, *2, *3 and *4.
DEM1_1.png.25ca4639847c133c0a42a8419dca09c2.pngDEM1_2.png.7d28b81a256f40f62a60c2cbb73dc25c.png

DEM1_3.png.31c6a38c3dd7eb93b9499ddc575fc7c2.pngDEM1_4.png.00e1c8906ddd310e2d5ebfad875b6a3b.png

[EDIT] @elarmadillo3 it's like that, I guess, ever since the IPS Community Suite was implemented over vBulletin.

Edited by Cell : Didn't want to make a new post responding to elarmadillo3's later find.

2 hours ago, Cell said:

@KVELLER it's the Icon of Sin marble made by DEM1_1, *2, *3 and *4.

So that was it! I got confused because the post I linked referred to it as a "2x2" flat, which I thought was the resolution.