Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dentonman

Agent Of Doom! (Map)

Agent of Doom

A single map wad that i might follow up on later, maybe turn it into an 8 level episode or something. Depends on feedback. Any bugs you spot, any advice you have, and any criticism that you could give would be appreciated. 

Technicalities

Doom 2

map 1

Vanilla compatible (probably)

Screenshots 

Spoiler

1579714358_gzdoom2018-09-0513-18-13-251.jpg.c0a5ac331b6206334ed35cd6d508e755.jpg558726893_gzdoom2018-09-0513-18-42-334.jpg.0fff59d73d615d8a606a7ce17baa608b.jpg1872965990_gzdoom2018-09-0513-18-59-744.jpg.4af0ca8c4b419ff223f2766d2a55ac00.jpg1236071763_gzdoom2018-09-0513-19-14-221.jpg.ba6ac7745e66f7ef568de35ba28fbb3d.jpg475821694_gzdoom2018-09-0513-20-25-426.jpg.95311bbdc3bacea9d24c304a629341d6.jpg952117536_gzdoom2018-09-0513-21-04-429.jpg.d2ccd998ccffe389f833ef62b859f022.jpg

Story

You are an agent, agent Marine... Doom Marine... and you kill shit i guess.

Download link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k03myfw9rd36wju/AgentOfDoom.wad?dl=0

This level would be fine if not for one major issue: It's too easy to get softlocked in this map.

That is, it's too easy to end up in a situation the player can't escape from. The teleport pad the first cyber stands on is unusable and the lift in the Wolfenstein area only raises with no way to get back down.

Double check your map to make sure it's possible to get out of these situations in non-ZDoom ports, because I ran through it with Doom Legacy.

3 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

This level would be fine if not for one major issue: It's too easy to get softlocked in this map.

That is, it's too easy to end up in a situation the player can't escape from. The teleport pad the first cyber stands on is unusable and the lift in the Wolfenstein area only raises with no way to get back down.

Double check your map to make sure it's possible to get out of these situations in non-ZDoom ports, because I ran through it with Doom Legacy.

i assigned both the toilet lift and the wolf lift to function as normal lifts, besides the secondary triggers. Worked fine in testing. Unfortunately i have no idea how to fix it for vanilla or legacy or whatever. Also btw, the teleport at the first cyberdemon was a thematic choice rather than a functional choice, since the second cyber teleporter leads to their barracks. How did you get to it anyway? 

You have to assign the sector and its activating line the same tags, which I'm assuming you did correctly, because you used a remote switch at one point.

It's possible you gave the lines directly on the intended affected sectors the proper actions, but forgot to tag them, so ZDoom registered what you wanted, but a port like Chocolate Doom, PRBoom, and mine, Legacy, didn't know what to do.

I found the BFG secret and killed the cyberdemon like I thought I was supposed to in order to get back to where I was.

The good choice is run on prboom+ port on complevel 2 to be sure if your map works with vanilla actions. Anyway, I tested map on prboom+ and didn't find issues yet. That starter cyberdemon could have secret teleporter to telefrag him. Besides, I found your map quite crampy and corridor based. My suggestion is increase space around and above, so player will have more space to move. 

Just now, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

You have to assign the sector and its activating line the same tags, which I'm assuming you did correctly, because you used a remote switch at one point.

It's possible you gave the lines directly on the intended affected sectors the proper actions, but forgot to tag them, so ZDoom registered what you wanted, but a port like Chocolate Doom, PRBoom, and mine, Legacy, didn't know what to do.

I found the BFG secret and killed the cyberdemon like I thought I was supposed to in order to get back to where I was.

Yeah i guess. Well the intent was that you run past the cyberdemon, and save the BFG for the later encounter, which would lead you to the cybey base, but i messed up in the planning department. I wanted to have two exits, one in the shuttle and one in the cyber base, like two different objectives or something, but i can't even script so that idea was reduced to what it is now.

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Oh, oops! I two-shotted the cyber because I thought that's what you wanted me to do.

I'll probably run it back through with GZDoom in a bit and offer what I can then.

Well i kinda missed the point of mapping there, it's not about what i want you to do, it's about what you do with what i have given you. I have made mistakes like this in the past, where i designed something that was obvious to me, but didn't realize that the player might not have the insight i have, because you know, they didn't make the map. That's why i'm posting it here before i start spending too much time on it, to straighten out and polish some of my mapping. Thanks for the response and criticism.