Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

hi its me again! (everyone sighs) i have once again ANOTHER wad that i would like some feedback on, it is basically Castle Slaughter 2.0, except it is now called Slaughter Castle (which sounds much better) and it had 3 weeks of work (and at least 10 scrapped versions) which i think will be a great challenge to any Doom fan who likes Nightmare mode! ;) as well as whether or not it should be the first map in a episode 1 replacement for doom 2 is up to you.

Port: Gzdoom

Tested:Zdoom

level: Map01 (finally!)

download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n62ip4kj0468lg1/Slaughter+castle.wad

enjoy!

Edited by Thedoctor989 : found out it don't work with vanilla doom

@HAK3180, the above map doesn't work with anything other than [G]ZDoom, because the map's in Doom-in-Hexen format.

Just thought you should know, since he (apparently) claims the intended port is vanilla.

I ran it through with GZD 2.4.0, so it should work with later.

@Thedoctor989

download the .wad

It’s very different from the first map, but unfortunately it’s not much better. It still has major errors, boring combat, and lacks in visual quality.

Doctor, what you're doing right here is making small maps and continuing to try. You will see fruits of that labor. Keep playing and studying maps that you like, keep watching/reading tutorials, and learn how to use the editor of your choice.

Bottom line: the very early stages of a mapping career

@DooMknight

Part 1

Part 2 (due to a bug, the video is essentially over by 35:00)

Part 3

Doomworld forum topic

This is a really well designed map. A lot of the paths lead to the same place or lead back to somewhere you’ve already been. It starts somewhat linear but becomes a huge, beautiful environment with tons to do. Occasionally the switches are not super obvious, but progression is hardly an issue, even if there’s always a certain awareness that there’s plenty of map yet to explore. Combat is a really good gradual ramp. It starts out with lots of one-shotgun enemies, but you still have a good time. Their density grows and the number of beefier enemies increases, so it’s a really nice game plan for a really long level. I just didn’t like some of the instapop – it felt cheap, but apparently some of that has been altered in the update. The map has a great mix of indoor and outdoor. It's so big and yet every area is distinct and fresh, yet the whole map is expertly thematic unto itself. The amount of detail in every inch of this massive beast is impressive.

Bottom line: possibly my favorite map of such length yet

@HAK3180

Thank you very much again for time spent, I know the map is long and can give laziness. I've loved the videos, laughed a lot at some moments, like the one in the cyberbarons arena or when you got a secret and you say: "oh yeah!"

The switches in the outdoor area are to crush the mancubus of the towers, there are three scattered around the area. What a pity about the area of the mastermind spider, the line that closed the area was badly placed and could be avoided... But well, as you said in the video, all that is solved in the final version.

I enjoyed to much watching the gameplay, almost 3 hours here stuck to the screen. I hope you enjoyed it, and again thanks for this great review!!

Edited by DooMknight : gramatical error

@HAK3180 You're almost done!

Thanks for finding the bug in Map04, which locks the player if they jump off that rising platform near the end. That's a game-killer, so I repaired it straightaway. I won't release the update until you've finished, though.

On the basis of watching your playthroughs, I think I'll stop using the light-variance approach to signaling secret doors. I play in GZDoom Dark at default gamma, so light-based signals really pop for me. You're in PrBoom which is brighter, and you also seem to be on Gamma 2, which makes it even harder to spot the light signals. That's why you didn't get outside on Map03. You walked right past the secret door because you basically had no way to see it. Here's how it looks for me. Yes, it's that brighter panel to the left. Very oldschool, as is appropriate for '90s maps;

zpcmdcb.png

I have to catch up with your other playthroughs. I like what I've seen of Exomoon and Good Morning, Phobos.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2ocyljdy94jpyl/Transport.rar/file

The second map that I have made and the first map that I have made with custom stuff. There's more info about it on text file that it contains. Also give some huge amount of feedback on it and tips that I can use for future maps. It's called Transport by the way and there's also a text screen at the end of the level that I can't seem to fix. (text are not aligned for some reason).

@Zemini

Doomworld forum topic

This one has a pretty fun layout but some of the doors and enemies are arranged so that you just camp as they crowd around the door that they can’t get through. Unlike the previous map, this one had plenty of ammo again, but even with the camping, the monsters can certainly inflict some pain, but I really only particularly enjoyed the combat near the beginning and in the big mazey outdoor.

Bottom line: Broken record – nice looking map brought down somewhat by enemy placement

12 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

This one has a pretty fun layout but some of the doors and enemies are arranged so that you just camp as they crowd around the door that they can’t get through. Unlike the previous map, this one had plenty of ammo again, but even with the camping, the monsters can certainly inflict some pain, but I really only particularly enjoyed the combat near the beginning and in the big mazey outdoor.

Bottom line: Broken record – nice looking map brought down somewhat by enemy placement

E3M4 is the oldest map in the wad.  I made this back in 99 and I still have that version which is beyond awful.

As for the broken record, I never played with that door trick before lol

You are getting tired of the tech bases I hear?  Well E3M5 is about as most tech base as one can get.  Enjoy!

My apologies for apparent laziness. I thought I had accidentally deleted two videos before uploading them. Today right before going to redo them, I discovered I had just put them in a different folder. So I should get three vids up tonight (Deadwing, Zolgia, BrassKnight) and be back in business.

dont put mine if its bad! :P

i was thinking about you all these days, i feared for the worst! But i am glad that you are okay lolz

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t think this map is quite as pleasant visually as some of the others, but that’s just because I really like the bright, fully outdoor look of many of the others. But still, it plays very well. It’s very expertly designed so that you can explore a lot and self-guide your tour, but you are not likely to get lost. I really like the ammo balance here until you get to the plasma. It seems there’s a bit too much plasma, and the secret BFG doesn’t seem to add much.

Bottom line: A noticeably different look, but the design philosophy remains, and it works.

@Zolgia108

Doomworld forum topic

This map looks rather different than many in the wad. I think it has some nice loci and layouts and a perfectly adequate progression. I do think some more detail would be welcome; as usual the areas tend to be covered in one texture. This map gets away from Doom for me a bit with such a large percentage of custom monsters. Besides probably a dozen total revenants, the lost souls, a few mancubi, and I believe one commando, I don’t think any other of the ~170 monsters was a stock, unmodified Doom monster, not even including monsters where the only change is the sprite. The undead hunters, in particular, need to be used carefully because of their extreme specifications.

Bottom line: This wad is going in a good direction. I’d like to see the combat take steps toward more organic challenge.

thank you hak, im very pleased for this cause in fact i've spent a lot of time trying to understand other maps geometry in order to build this one, it was a very long work cause it is totally different from how i usually build them, i tend to overuse single sprites cause custom ones are difficult to combine and amalgam. As for combat: in the last few maps (18/19 and now the wip 20, which are all from the hell episode) i started to take ispiration from Valiant, hopefully in the right way. Next map that you are facing (for your extreme joy and happiness) is basically a boss map called black sword, pretty chaotic with little space, hope you won't hate me too much, i slightly took ispiration from slough of despair. Thanks again for your playthrough, at least this time i don't need to fix anything particular i guess :)

@BrassKnight

download the .rar

For the most part I like what I see. This map has some very nice visual touches and stays thematic throughout. I especially liked a few outdoor parts to break up the mostly confined spaces. Really the only somewhat significant issue I had visually was I wasn’t convinced that the shading needed to be as dark as it was. The flow of the map was questionable in a couple spots due to much backtracking and very early sighting of key doors that you don’t access until much later, but the progression was mostly pretty natural. Some of the combat was a bit grindy or campy, and there were way too many supplies, but nothing really stood out as total n00B except maybe the two barons down an extremely long hall.

Bottom line: BrassKnight is off to a good start.

Awesome! Thanks again for the playthrough!

Yeah, the visuals are a bit too simple and I guess might be why people didn't got much interested in whole wad, maybe... I'll have to work on that in a future project, even if I suck at detailing stuff haha I hope it's not too hard to learn!

I would recommend to download the lastest version, especially for the later maps which got some more substancial changes :D (link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ckcro74rd5qj7gt/exomoon-1.8.zip/file )

I'll reduce some plasma ammo for plutonia difficult (and make some fights a bit more tough too) :D. I'm glad you haven't got lost through the journey! So far navigation has been going good!

As soon as i get to add difficulty settings and all, i would like to submit my map "man on the moon" for you to play. 

Not in it's current state however. 

If that is fine with you :) 

@mArt1And00m3r11339

(There's a significant amount of cheating in this video; there were parts I had insufficient desire and/or skill to complete)

idgames download page

This wad is entirely about gameplay, but I thought this map had a decent look and atmosphere to it, although a little bit monotonous. Again, it’s a handful of very specific encounters, though none were all that gimmicky this time. Unfortunately, the biggest fight here and probably the trademark one was beyond my skill level and also well outside the realm of things I consider fun, mostly due to ammo. Much of this wad, way too much for my liking, has been massive infights + chaingun. However, I did find some of the other fights to be pretty fun, the ending in particular.

Bottom line: Again, I think you’ve got to have pretty specific taste to enjoy this from start to finish, but there’s probably at least something for everybody.

34 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339

(There's a significant amount of cheating in this video; there were parts I had insufficient desire and/or skill to complete)

idgames download page

This wad is entirely about gameplay, but I thought this map had a decent look and atmosphere to it, although a little bit monotonous. Again, it’s a handful of very specific encounters, though none were all that gimmicky this time. Unfortunately, the biggest fight here and probably the trademark one was beyond my skill level and also well outside the realm of things I consider fun, mostly due to ammo. Much of this wad, way too much for my liking, has been massive infights + chaingun. However, I did find some of the other fights to be pretty fun, the ending in particular.

Bottom line: Again, I think you’ve got to have pretty specific taste to enjoy this from start to finish, but there’s probably at least something for everybody.

Thanks for the feedback. The part where you grab the plasma rifle is where the imps are supposed to teleport. I didn't have that problem when I recorded it. It could be because of the version of PrBoom+ you used to play the level (I played it with GLBoom+ version 2.5.1.4), but I don't know.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339, I wondered about that in the moment but didn't give it much thought afterward. Turns out it's the same issue again: the teleporter destinations are only there on hard.

I opened it up with GZDoom Builder and they are there in all difficulty settings.

Teleport Destinations.png

I would be interested to watch you playing the map I made for Mayhem Orange months ago (Name : Floréal located in Map 20) Here is the last version of the wad :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl8f3vn1i708j3p/MAY18O_RC5.zip?dl=1

I prefer to inform you that the level is quite difficult on UV and there are some new cool (and dangerous) monsters and a  custom weapon which replace the chainsaw  . So , I recommand to play my level on Easy or Medium difficulty.

Edited by Roofi

On 9/11/2018 at 12:39 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Red Dust 1 has been updated, with level 7 fixed as you pointed out.

I'm not sure why you didn't mention that you discovered and subsequently fixed yet another issue, especially after I said I was going to play the version I quickfixed, i.e. the version that fixed just the one issue I knew of.

20 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I'm not sure why you didn't mention that you discovered and subsequently fixed yet another issue, especially after I said I was going to play the version I quickfixed, i.e. the version that fixed just the one issue I knew of.

Read my last comment (prior to this one, obviously). It's the one with the screenshot included. My recommendation is try -complevel 17 instead of -complevel 9 if that helps.

@mArt1And00m3r11339, I understood your comment. Evidently you thought of all of those teleporter destinations as a single issue. But since I could never get to the plasma gun area, I had no reason to know that there were more teleporter destinations that were hard only. So my fix was to fix the one only, the one that takes the player there. Your fix was that plus the destinations that bring the imps in, which I didn't know were also lacking on easy/medium. And since you said that you fixed the issue as I pointed out, it seems we both believed your fix and my fix would be the same.