Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Where is Dr. Sleep?

Dr. Sleep, Or John Anderson as I know him, Passed I believe In April 2018 of the pneumonia. He was my favorite uncle.

8 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

Dr. Sleep, Or John Anderson as I know him, Passed I believe In April 2018 of the pneumonia. He was my favorite uncle.

Sad news. RIP Dr. Sleep.

I'm very sorry if this sounds rude, but can you please show us some evidence that you're actually related to him? We don't know you and I feel like registering with a cute girl avatar to report death is a little bit unusual. I really don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that death of such an important figure is a big deal, and it would be nice to be sure that we can trust you.

I exercised a little due diligence and @Fraulein appears to be a real person. I would rate the chance of this being a mean-spirited troll as pretty low.

Those demons don't know who they are up against...  RIP Dr Sleep, I wish I could thank you in person for your great works.

3 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

Hmm, Im pretty sure the only pictures I have of him and I together are when I was an a youngster so thats of no help.  I'm not too worried about proving I'm related but I thought It be nice to answer. That maybe somewhere in his ego or heart he would have wanted you guys to know. I did try to find you guys a Digital Obituary. I was unable too. It was unexpected and he didn't have a funeral. (He was an atheist and didn't seem to want one) I'm assuming thats why there isn't one for him, But is for his Brother who died 2 months before, Jeffery J Anderson, My father. http://www.adferguson.com/websites/ferguson/default.asp?status=cond&cont2=read&id=18381
In there it does say his Surviving brother John W. Anderson But thats as common as a name as any so guess you'll have to take a leap of faith.

I have a feeling the person who signed on in 2017 to let you guys know he was alive and well, Was in fact him. But its just a hunch. He would of been the type to do that lol. I was aware of his levels in doom but never spoke to in-dept about it. I'm amused to see the rumors of where he disappeared to. Now even I want to know if he was at one time wanted by the FBI, or incarcerated. If he really owes someone 10,000 dollars lol. All things Ive never caught wind of but cant rule out. He was a colorful person to say the least. The only uncle I had a close relationship with. I guess I'm sad I didn't think to look more into his online presence while he was living. So I have no answers there, Unfortunately.

I stumbled on this looking up his name with Doom just to see what Id find cause he was on my mind. I wasn't let down.

I'm glad he was seen.

Do you happen to be aware of whomever the J Anderson who registered on DoomWiki.org earlier today might be? I've asked them if they'd kindly reply to verify their identity.

22 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Do you happen to be aware of whomever the J Anderson who registered on DoomWiki.org earlier today might be? I've asked them if they'd kindly reply to verify their identity.

No I dont. That's weird timing too. But his sons name is J Anderson.

Edited by Fraulein

Just now, Fraulein said:

No I dont. That's weird timing too. But his sons name is Josh Anderson.

That did come to mind. I'll wait and see if they reply to me, thanks.

Rest in Peace, Dr. Sleep.

thank you for letting us know.

i did not personally know him, but "Crossing Acheron" was one of my favorite doom levels as a young child.

i don't think i would be the person i am today without having played that.

My condolences to his family.

In terms of what he meant to Doom, from my perspective everyone in the early days was just making square wolfenstein stuff, and for the busiest first ~2 years of Doom's history Dr. Sleep's were the only maps with a high quality/polish to them. I think his work set a bar for other modders that yes, commercial quality maps were achievable and got the snowball rolling towards serious works (rather than afternoon curiosities).

His levels had a very professional/official feel despite being made in a time when the IWAD maps were of an impossibly high standard to emulate by modders. Being included in the Master Levels and being included in those ported to PSX canonises him into Doom lore and a makes him a grandfather of the Doom modding/mapping community.

Goodbye, John. You will forever be one of the early cornerstones of Doom PWAD design. I am thankful to his family members for delivering the news and visiting here. Sad to think that two of the six Master Levels authors are now gone.

His levels were some of the first I ever played when I had an old Demon Gate CD. Then I played his works in the Master Levels and PSX Final Doom. The last I remember reading about him was when he had his website up. He was working on the next entry to his Canto series (I think it was called Lethe) with the original Doom Builder. Heh, I was knee-deep in jDoom/Doomsday and New Doom during that time. Damn time flies.

Rest in peace, dude.

It stands as testament to this community's strength that we are around for long enough to watch the first few lit candles begin to snuff themselves out.

Thank you, Fraulein and Suzette, for giving us closure. And thank you, John, for helping to erect the pillars that we've built on. We all have seen farther, because we stood on your giant's shoulders.

On 4/13/2008 at 5:23 PM, Quasar said:

Seems that John W. Anderson, aka Dr. Sleep, vanished from the Internet and possibly from real life as well sometime around 2004. I never took note of it until recently. None of his pages have been updated since then, one of them having gone offline. CodeImp has tried to contact him IRL apparently and had no success.

How about we see if we can't find out what happened to him? I have a feeling it's probably not good.

In case you don't know who he was, he was a commercial game designer who has levels in The Ultimate Doom, DOOM II Master Levels, Unreal, Daikatana, and other games. He also remained involved with the Doom community up until his disappearance, writing a popular guide for using Doom Builder (which is why I assume CodeImp is looking for him). He was also known for some particularly strong political opinions which he detailed on his blog.

drsleep, John Anderson passed away suddenly and unexpectedly about 4 months ago.  He is my brother   Thank you to all who were inquiring about him

Sincerely,

Suzette Anderson-Brangard

5 minutes ago, sbrangard67 said:

drsleep, John Anderson passed away suddenly and unexpectedly about 4 months ago.  He is my brother   Thank you to all who were inquiring about him

Sincerely,

Suzette Anderson-Brangard

We used to exchange some emails back in the day, around 2004. A few years after that he had to take a break from the internet for whatever reason and I went looking for him. I'd always hoped he'd show back up here eventually with some tales to tell but now we know that won't happen. I was however glad to know that he was alive and well in the intervening years after he stopped by to update his page on our wiki once, a few years ago. Thanks for getting us up to speed and condolences regarding the loss. He'll be missed by many.

22 hours ago, Fraulein said:

Hmm, Im pretty sure the only pictures I have of him and I together are when I was an a youngster so thats of no help.  I'm not too worried about proving I'm related but I thought It be nice to answer. That maybe somewhere in his ego or heart he would have wanted you guys to know. I did try to find you guys a Digital Obituary. I was unable too. It was unexpected and he didn't have a funeral. (He was an atheist and didn't seem to want one) I'm assuming thats why there isn't one for him, But is for his Brother who died a few months before, Jeffrey J Anderson, My father. http://www.adferguson.com/websites/ferguson/default.asp?status=cond&cont2=read&id=18381
In there it does say his Surviving brother John W. Anderson But thats as common as a name as any so guess you'll have to take a leap of faith.

I have a feeling the person who signed on in 2017 to let you guys know he was alive and well, Was in fact him. But its just a hunch. He would of been the type to do that lol. I was aware of his levels in doom but never spoke to in depth about it. I'm amused to see the rumors of where he disappeared to. Now even I want to know if he was at one time wanted by the FBI, or incarcerated. If he really owes someone 10,000 dollars lol. All things Ive never caught wind of but cant rule out. He was a colorful person to say the least. The only uncle I had a close relationship with. I guess I'm sad I didn't think to look more into his online presence while he was living. So I have no answers there, Unfortunately.

I stumbled on this looking up his name with Doom just to see what Id find cause he was on my mind. I wasn't let down.

I'm glad he was seen.

He was never incarcerated, for anything  He was very ill for quite a long time with Diabetes, including having to have his left lower (below knee) leg amputated due to the disease.  I can assure you I am his sister and all one has to do is look up his death certificate at the Fayette County PA courthouse  its public notice  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CONDOLENCES......I think he would have been surprised to know he was still thought of so highly  

Suzette Anserson-Brangard 

ps  fraulein really is John and I's niece.  My younger brother, her father, also died suddenly and unexpectedly only a few months prior to John.  My family, and most certainly my brothers' families are overwhelmed with sadness. 

4 minutes ago, sbrangard67 said:

He was never incarcerated, for anything  He was very ill for quite a long time with Diabetes, including having to have his left lower (below knee) leg amputated due to the disease.

We never put much stock in that; it was only based on a rumor from someone he used to work with but wasn't on good terms with any longer. Good to know the facts in the matter though, even if it's a long time after.

his thread wait 10 years to know the truth

rip dr sleep, rest in peace!

another doomer that is going away

but remember all

Doom will never die only its players!

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

We never put much stock in that; it was only based on a rumor from someone he used to work with but wasn't on good terms with any longer. Good to know the facts in the matter though, even if it's a long time after.

Oh, No problem I take no offense. I think it sounds alluring and mysterious. I like to think he would have enjoyed the musings over his absence online. Thanks again, all of you, for your kind words. Its nice to still be able to make new memories about him.

RIP Dr.Sleep. Thank you for all the valuable contributions you've made to this community