Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reiken

Dire Strait (vanilla+cc4-tex, Doom 2, previously 'rkspeedbox')

(Original post wiped since most of it no longer really applies)

I've been hammering away at this map pretty much non-stop, and have finally reached a point where I think I can

call it done.  Again, this will hopefully be the first map in a 4~5 map set, and barring any fixes this will probably be

its last upload until I do the other maps.

REQUIRES cc4-tex.wad.

UV and HMP difficulties are implemented, HMP softening a few encounters and providing more supplies.

Model difficulty is intended to fall somewhere between TNT and Plutonia.

Previous version included as a bonus in the zip.  Screenshots are the same since those views didn't change, and I'd

rather not spoil the change.

I wasn't able to do much about the linearity of the map, partly due to early detailing and vanilla limits, but I think

(hope) I've made the map more interesting overall with this development.  As far as I can tell, the only issue is a

potential VPO under very specific circumstances that are not likely to occur (aside from potential noclip-induced ones,

and some drawsegs overflows I tried to minimize..)  Switching to ZokumBSP in later revisions of the map seems to

have helped minimize these.  VPO is detailed in txt.

DOOM04.png

DOOM03.png

rkdire1.7z

Edited by Reiken

I liked it. Map seemed too empty at first but that can work as an intro. Maybe some ambushes weren't as effective as you wanted (easy to back off and kill everything from a distance). The white area from the second screenshot was really pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/yamoOtH.png - bad flat here

https://i.imgur.com/LHN9otd.png - missing "lower unpegged"

Here is a demo:

rkspbxr3_mem_FDA.zip

25 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I liked it. Map seemed too empty at first but that can work as an intro. Maybe some ambushes weren't as effective as you wanted (easy to back off and kill everything from a distance). The white area from the second screenshot was really pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/yamoOtH.png - bad flat here

https://i.imgur.com/LHN9otd.png - missing "lower unpegged"

Here is a demo:

rkspbxr3_mem_FDA.zip

Thanks, demos are really invaluable for stepping out of one's own head and getting a fresh look.  I completely overlooked that you could parkour over the low wall down into the water.  Funnily enough, I stuck a teleporter down there very late into mapping because I realized someone might arch-vile jump down there, intentionally or no.  As you noted, I do need to get a bit more creative with ambushes and not necessarily expect the player to throw themselves into pressure.  I'm glad the white area came out well.  The first building is really pretty boring, but by the time I'd come back to it, I was paranoid about visplane overflows which I'd already hit a couple of times.  The early low monster count was an intentional touch for starter map atmosphere.

By bad flat, you mean color/theme mis-match?  I guess something like a lift flat would fit better, or have the column stop 8 units above the floor instead of recess totally.  Heh, not sure how I missed the exit door's tracks.

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, Reiken said:

I'm no speedrunner, but I'd be curious to compare times with others:

My average UV MAX time for this map is probably 6:14, but in an earlier revision with minor map changes (exit corridor is like 32 units longer, now),

I somehow managed 5:41, my lowest.  I also got 1:31 in a pure speed run after a couple of attempts, but

there was likely a lot of luck and RNG in my favor there. 

Here's a couple of lightly grinded maxes (one a bit over 4:00, just really aggro play but little proper planning, and a 3:37 with a bit of routing). I imagine the time can be pushed down into the low 3:xx or maybe even high 2:xx. Time saves are mostly just playing with high aggression and rushing past stuff at times, nothing too nuanced.

rksp_rd_stuff.zip

As for the map, it's not a bad start, although I think that the texturing tends to verge into the 'CC4 motley' where a whole bunch of disparate textures are used just because they are in CC4-tex. The good thing though is that the coordinated use of color prevents that from being anywhere near as much of an eyesore as it sometimes is. There are some decent visual ideas -- it's clear effort was put into that. 

Edited by rdwpa

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Here's a couple of lightly grinded maxes

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

And here is a quick pacifist run.

Thanks both, these were a treat.  The max runs reveal to me just how locked I was into linear thinking--I was surprised to see such improvements from roaming free.

8 hours ago, rdwpa said:

As for the map, it's not a bad start, although I think that the texturing tends to verge into the 'CC4 motley' where a whole bunch of disparate textures are used just because they are in CC4-tex. The good thing though is that the coordinated use of color prevents that from being anywhere near as much of an eyesore as it sometimes is. There are some decent visual ideas -- it's clear effort was put into that. 

Appreciate it.  I don't think I've played many wads with CC4 tex use (I tend to play older stuff) so I was a bit taken with them, heh.  One of your runs made me realize I forgot step textures for some lower tex slots, too..  I'll make a note to begin texturing with shading turned off in the editor.

I'm already getting ideas for overhauling the map, but might have to go limit-removing in the end (and if I did that, I'd be tempted to just go Boom-compat so I could experiment with lighting transfers, which I sorely realized I wanted in the crate area..).  I'll see what I can do with strategically-placed void and flat budgeting, first.  Thanks again for all the input.

Update bump

Edit: Probably should have re-detailed the blue key building a little more--kind of embarrassing how it barely changed at all, now.  Oh well,  probably better to spend that time on a new map, anyway.

Edited by Reiken

Sorry for necroing a thread, but I just wanted to inform you that you can run a multi-tree build of maps with ZokumBSP. The new version that is coming "soon" will have some massive speed improvements.

On most maps this algorithm reduces subsectors by a few percent. Fewer subsectors will statistically mean fewer visplanes. The downside is that multi-tree takes a long time to build. A map this big might take days, possibly a week or two. So, if you're 100% sure you're done with the layout, you could leave it on for a few days / weeks to produce a (potentially) better node tree.

One of the the most complex maps I have built so far was map29 of doom2.wad

SEGS, SSECTORS	
1911, 751 DoomBSP (id's original data.)
1862, 704 ZokumBSP default algorithm
1848, 676 ZokumBSP multi-tree.

In general, bigger maps tend to give me better numbers, but the build time varies widly based on the architecture and other factors.