Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

zekhmet project - calling bugtesters and FDA folks! (NINE maps done)

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

ernie the urn

This made me smile. I'm glad I'd already incorporated the urn into my map, albeit as a decoration, so I guess that would be Ernie and siblings.

12 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

it might be too confusing for its own good.

In a yakfak-led mapset? Wouldn't that just make the level all the more appropriate?

Yakfak after you have made the map that eases the players into the set, can you make a zekhmet sequel to Spidersilk pretty please with a cherry on top?

10 hours ago, yakfak said:

actually I'm amazed by the scripting... is this robust? can you break it by pressing some of the buttons twice in a row really quickly?

This is a good question! I thiiiiink some things should be safe, like the hanoi puzzle has the switches far apart enough that the mechanism should finish by the time you reach another switch, but who knows. I think the only thing that can possibly break is the shickleweed loop riddle, since hitting switches really fast can cause the "correct" gates to lock, but I imagine that's undoable by hitting an "incorrect" switch and restarting the puzzle. None of the vendors should break since they're all just a series of doors with text that goes up and down between each door.

Glad you like it too. There's a lot of points where I feel like the map is very unfriendly (like with the Furious Trombonzel) but I was thinking more about what I wanted to get accomplished instead of what is/isn't unfair to the player.

I would have helped people here test these maps, but they sound so weird i don't want to spoil the surprise :P

18 hours ago, Catpho said:

Yakfak after you have made the map that eases the players into the set, can you make a zekhmet sequel to Spidersilk pretty please with a cherry on top?

it took me months to make spidersilk hee i am a really slow mapper

the idea of me making two maps for this project is not really all that likely :))))

added Dobu's second great map to the first post & urge everyone to play it and get delightfully discombobulated

that's five maps ready

catpho: im sure everyone'd love some early playtesting :)) plus I will write your name on teh credits page For Exposure tm giggle

maybe I should edit the title to show the dubious outside world that the project is progressing and getting maps and stuff?

also this year's Megaproject seems to be floating somewhere between "low effort" and "troll" status so I might move my map from there to here and do some big wallpapering/snail placement

40 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

what megaproject? ToD's or the alternative one?

ToD's one yeah

even for a project with a professed total lack of curation it has a total lack of curation

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

ToD's one yeah

even for a project with a professed total lack of curation it has a total lack of curation

As of today, ToD's has 5 submissions (4 if you were to pull your map out, obviously). This thread had a flurry of posts in the last week, but there was no activity on the thread prior to that since the first half of May.

Scifista's has 1 submission. (And this was the CP that had last year's rules that was designed to attract everyone who didn't want to map for ToD's more restrictive set of rules.) The thread hasn't had a post since April 21.

As I stated in ToD's thread, both are well below the historical precedents set by past DMPs, given the fact that we're almost halfway through the year. You could easily apply "low effort" or "lack of curation" to either CP, but in the defense of both ToD and Scifista, they can't force mappers to create maps for them.

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

that's five maps ready

maybe I should edit the title to show the dubious outside world that the project is progressing and getting maps and stuff?

If you use your DMP map in this project, that would be 6. If you also create an introductory map, that would be 7.

The description on the first page still states that there is an 11 map limit. From a variety of posts throughout the thread, the implication is that 11 has become a minimum (each track is used at least once), so you may want to clarify that, as well.

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

also this year's Megaproject seems to be floating somewhere between "low effort" and "troll" status so I might move my map from there to here and do some big wallpapering/snail placement

That kind of project has the chance to pick up steam by the end of the year, but I think it'd be cool if your map was in this set, since what I played of it (before the AVs warped in and I couldn't figure out where to go) was really cool and would fit this project nicely.

Also riderr said that his map would work with either D_SHAWN or D_DEAD. Not to continuously harp on the midi stuff, but I think it's totally possible for us to fill the whole set without any repeats and would rather aim for that, especially if folks are willing to make concessions.

Hopefully a couple more people will swoop in and join up. If we're ever short one map, I've had a third P-titled map brewing in my head for the project, but I'd rather prioritize author diversity than taking up yet another slot. Plus I haven't quite worked out how to make a map where the player isn't allowed to move at all :P

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I think it'd be cool if your map was in this set, since what I played of it (before the AVs warped in and I couldn't figure out where to go) was really cool and would fit this project nicely.

I think it's totally possible for us to fill the whole set without any repeats and would rather aim for that, especially if folks are willing to make concessions.

Hopefully a couple more people will swoop in and join up.

This is the current status of this mapset:

Submitted

Prickled! by Dobu

The world behind your chair by Benjo

Palace of darkness by darkmaster

Elefunky velvet groove by riderr3

Perplexed! by Dobu

Requested

<currently unnamed but requested introductory map> by @yakfak

Proposed

Northern Powerhouse by yakfak (if he decides to pull it out of the DMP 2018)

WIP Shown but No Submission Yet

@Catpho

@bioshockfan90

@NoisyVelvet

Interest Shown but No WIP Yet

@Nine Inch Heels

@Fonze

@Scypek2

@Breezeep

@Obsidian

@Albertoni

@Skeletonpatch (depending on the backstory)

@Myst.Haruko (if there weren't already so many mappers involved)

Catpho

Pegleg

So, with the potential for 9 - 17 maps, I think we should be able to reach 11.

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I haven't quite worked out how to make a map where the player isn't allowed to move at all :P

A 32 x 32 box of impassible lines with a player start at the center?

Perhaps you were looking for something more elegant. From your previous work, you were probably looking for something more elegant ... and could make something out of it.

Edited by Pegleg : I added Catpho to the wrong section before reading the full post and then, for some reason, Doomworld wouldn't let me delete the mention.

4 hours ago, yakfak said:

I might move my map from [DMP 2018] to here and do some big wallpapering/snail placement

It just occurred to me that, even if DMP 2018 picks up steam by the end of the year, as has been suggested by more than one person, there is an advantage to you taking your map out of the DMP this year. You identified a mistake that slipped through the cracks and ToD has forbidden you from fixing it within the context of the DMP. If you were to move your map from that project to this one, you could fix the error you found.

I'm not suggesting you do it. I'm just saying that would be one advantage to doing so.

30 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

A 32 x 32 box of impassible lines with a player start at the center?

Yeah the problem with this is that it wouldn't necessarily be a good/fun map :P I've considered using stuff like silent teles and conveyor belts, but that's as far as my thought process as gone.

Heyhey, little bump because I've updated both of my maps with minor edits.

Prickled! Roused by an Aggressive Autumn (v.2)

Perplexed! Rankled by Asinine Acquisitions (v.2)

The only big change to be aware of yakfak is that I've updated the ZDMAP2 image from Perplexed, so please carry that over to the main wad. Otherwise the maps are 100% finished and I wish good fortune upon all the other mappers in this project :) Lemme know if you ever need 1 more map to round things out.

big bump because I've been ignoring this thread for too long :))

my interest in doom waxes and wanes so I have been avoiding teh whole subject. I just wanna announce that I'm still really interested in curating this project especially as it already has five amazing maps. this project is still readily accepting mappers who want a canvas to do something strange!

dobu: thank you very much for your hard work
i guess there's no harm in including optional zdoom features as long as the maps themselves are boom compatible, I hadn't thought about that at all.

if there's anyone out there who feels they're a good MAP01 maker then I'd love to see an intro map with a twist. i sorta lost confidence in my own mapping so it won't be by me, giggle.

I've had an idea brewing for awhile, but I dunno if it's map01 material. It might be! The idea depends on that rebirth point working like I hope it does, and as I went to test it, I couldn't find the correct "useless body prop" that I'm supposed to be using. ;)

Edited by Benjogami

@yakfak

There hasn't been a lot of progress in this mapset over the past couple of months. You said in one of the posts that you were in this for the long term. Do you have a particular deadline in mind for this project?

I'm still working on my map for this, but work has been slow going. I wanted to know if this mapset would be done when it was done or if you had a particular timetable in mind?

2 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

@yakfak

There hasn't been a lot of progress in this mapset over the past couple of months. You said in one of the posts that you were in this for the long term. Do you have a particular deadline in mind for this project?

On 3/23/2018 at 11:15 PM, yakfak said:

im too shambolic for deadlines

Go4it!

yep :))) this isn't a strict project with a deadline cos I just don't operate like that

I flit between periods of music-making and going heavy on the search for new good music and novels & mixtaping stuff, plus my interests in things like magic the gathering, coding, Doom mapping and all sorts of other things I'm no good at wax and wane naturally, so I won't be marathoning this effort or chasing people up, it's a casual affair :3 hope people don't find that too irritating

pegleg: whats the idea you have for your map? :)

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

pegleg: whats the idea you have for your map? :)

It's gone through several iterations, but I think this is basically where I'm currently at:

• The title will be "The Ruined Temple of the Happy Elephant" or "The Ruined Tower of the Happy Elephant" or something like that.
  • There will be a ruined temple that can be accessed through one of two entrances, each one locked with a different key.
  • Inside the temple will be a series of switches that have to be activated to display the proper sequence in order to get the third key (in this case, the blue key).
    • I don't intend for that puzzle to be on the level of one of dobu's puzzle, and I still have to sketch it out fully, both I have some ideas.
    • The puzzle will be accessible for either side of the temple.
  • There will be a lava-filled passage that will lead to chamber that will indicate what the switches should look like when activated, so you don't have to use trial and error to get the key.
  • There will also be a ruined tower that you have to climb so that you can jump into a feature in the middle (not actually jump, but more run off a high step and fall into it) so you can access a teleport which will take you to a void (or something like that) where you can access the locked door.
    • Through the locked door will be the end part of the level, but I still have to work that out.
  • I still have to work out how to get the first two keys.
  • I'm planning enemies in the map, but I also have to work out exactly how they will there.

It's probably a good thing that you don't have a deadline per se, because, with all the things I still have to work out, it may be a bit before this map finally comes together.

benjo! this appears to rule :))))
loving how some of these levels are really enemy light but still so challenging

love the exit sequence too

Glad you like :D

I spotted a couple mistexturings, but will probably sit on v2 for awhile to see if more changes are needed.